• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 cmm1970

cmm1970

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

I currently use a Powerbook G4 and have a Nikon D2x. When I shoot NEF files and try to manipulate them with the G4, it is a slow aruduous grind. Recently I began to do some semi commercial work and I am dying a slow death running the files on this laptop. Question is though, for running batch conversions with either Nikon View or Photoshop, will the new PowerMac laptops offer enough speed enhancement or am I going to have to go to a desktop? Please share your experiences.

Thanks,
Mike

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:24 PM

I currently use a Powerbook G4 and have a Nikon D2x. When I shoot NEF files and try to manipulate them with the G4, it is a slow aruduous grind. Recently I began to do some semi commercial work and I am dying a slow death running the files on this laptop. Question is though, for running batch conversions with either Nikon View or Photoshop, will the new PowerMac laptops offer enough speed enhancement or am I going to have to go to a desktop? Please share your experiences.

Thanks,
Mike

If you are using Photoshop, it won't be that much of an improvement with the Macbook Pro 2.33ghz until the Creative Suite 3 is out next quarter. However, anything that is universal binary will definitely benefit (ie Aperture). Of course, for serious big files a desktop would give optimum performance. The quad Mac pro are much faster than any macbook pro.
If you feel glacial now with Nikon Capture, you won't see a difference due to the non- UB rosetta emulation for NC. But then again, I haven't used NC or PS for raw conversions. I use capture one or aperture.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 cmm1970

cmm1970

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:31 PM

So I am to understand that by using CS2 I would be served more speedy file processing if I was running a Windows based notebook or desktop?

#4 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:47 PM

So I am to understand that by using CS2 I would be served more speedy file processing if I was running a Windows based notebook or desktop?

All else being equal, the current answer would be yes. Of course you could always generate the same advantages by using boot camp or paralells to run a Windows version of CS2 on the mac, but I probably wouldn't bother.

Another alternative might be to wait for the UB of CS2 to arrive early next year. It might coincide with Apple dropping the new 800 ghz FSB chips into the MBPs which would give you a double whammy.

Yet another option would be to try a faster UB RAW converter like Bibble which is the only thing that makes my G4 seem quick at the moment. I'm holding off until next year for the hardware upgrade. Software is cheap.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#5 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

Don't know about Adobe products but I've got a 2.33 Ghz (Intel Core 2 Duo) Mac Book pro w/ 2Gb of RAM and it runs Aperture seemingly just as well as my dual 2.5Ghz Power PC G5 w/ 5Gb of RAM.

I'm sure there are some differences but I can't readily tell :)

I'm sure when I actually start making the MBP work a bit I might notice but so far, it isn't annoying.
---------------
Mark

#6 richorn

richorn

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:01 PM

I am using the current MBP 17" with my D2Xs files, converting with both Lightroom and the Adobe Creative Suite 2.

In all cases it has been fast enough, and as fast as any PC I had previously.

I just finished both a Pro shoot of 1200 images and a dive trip of 1800. Speed has rarely been an issue.
Richard

#7 cmm1970

cmm1970

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:13 AM

I am using the current MBP 17" with my D2Xs files, converting with both Lightroom and the Adobe Creative Suite 2.

In all cases it has been fast enough, and as fast as any PC I had previously.

I just finished both a Pro shoot of 1200 images and a dive trip of 1800. Speed has rarely been an issue.

So what I am to hear is that you are pushing the big NEF files around, converting in the two applications, and you are not pulling your hair out waiting on the machine to deal with these 1000+ images in your database for each shoot with your D2x.

That would make me happy. I have been grinding away with my G4 Powerbook and it takes a lot of the fun out of the hobby for me.

Thanks,
Mike

#8 cmm1970

cmm1970

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:02 AM

I took the plunge last weekend and purchased a MacBook Pro. I installed Aperature this weekend, watched the tutorial, and proceeded to handle a load of NEF files and large JPG's. It worked fabulously and very fast compared to what I am used to. If any of you are considering this combination, I encourage you to go for it. I have not been disappointed!

#9 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:00 AM

I agree wholeheartedly; and the more you learn Aperture features, the more I think you will like it.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#10 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

Can Aperture handle D2x NEF files?

Edit: Just checked Aperture's info in the web and saw that it handles D2x files. I will take a serious look at it, as Nikon Capture is really slow.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#11 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

You can download a 30 day free trial on the Apple website; only proviso is you have to have one of the more recent Apple machines with a faster video card

Can Aperture handle D2x NEF files?

Edit: Just checked Aperture's info in the web and saw that it handles D2x files. I will take a serious look at it, as Nikon Capture is really slow.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#12 Canuck

Canuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:24 PM

I purchased a 15" MacBook Pro and Aperture a month ago, before my trip to Palau. I am extremely pleased with the system. It is very fast and easy to use. I have just finished processing all 500+ of my keeper photos. I had no need to leave Aperture and go to PSCS2 for any of my processing. Aperture has all the tools I need, so far.

FYI, my Aperture database is currently 40+ GB of photos.

John Davies
Canon 70D / Nauticam / dual Inons
my photos

#13 aczyzyk

aczyzyk

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:50 AM

Does anyone use Aperture on a Macbook (not Pro)?
Processors are basically the same, so does a graphic card alone make significant difference?
I could think about few alternative uses for the extra $ pro version costs.
Andrzej Czyzyk

www.flickr.com/photos/czyzyk/
D200, Sea&Sea DX-D200, Nikkor 10.5, Nikkor 105 VR, Tokina 12-24, 2xDS-125

#14 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:33 AM

When you install Aperture it will actually check that you have the right hardware, and will not install unless it likes your hardware, primarily the graphics catd I beleive. Some folks have apparently hacked a workaround that allows installation with other machines. I do not know if it runs adequately though in those situations.

#15 aczyzyk

aczyzyk

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:58 AM

Well, I'm one of these folks. I run it on 12" G4 iBook. It works but requires lots of patience. I want to upgrade my laptop. I just wonder if Macbook will be good enough. Anyway, I'll probably wait until Leopard.
Andrzej Czyzyk

#16 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:35 AM

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I have a friend who runs it on a new Macbook (not a pro), and it runs well apparently.

#17 aczyzyk

aczyzyk

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:01 AM

This is good news. Thanks.
Andrzej Czyzyk

#18 BotSO

BotSO

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

I ran Aperture on a 15" 1.5Ghz G4 PowerBook.

I now use Lightroom on a 17" 2.33 Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro.

I much prefer LR on the MPB to Aperture on either.

#19 jetlife2

jetlife2

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:44 AM

I ran Aperture on a 15" 1.5Ghz G4 PowerBook.

I now use Lightroom on a 17" 2.33 Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro.

I much prefer LR on the MPB to Aperture on either.

Did you try LR when it was beta? I used it extensively and now the beta has expired. Just wondering if there was any major change from the last beta, before I buy.

Also, a related question, what are the other choices for RAW processing on a Mac other than LR and Aperture? (note: Aperture won't read my RAW files, Oly 5060; LR worked superbly even as beta). Thanks

#20 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:13 AM

Well now the truth is out... so to speak:

Apple Macbook Pro Lawsuit on LCD screens

Seems that the LCD screen, while very bright, isn't 8bit but 6 bit + dithering. :)

Very interesting indeed.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.