• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 rhkdiver

rhkdiver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 01:08 AM

As a forum for underwater imaging I would be remiss if I didn't highly recommend Kungkungan Bay Resort in N. Sulawesi. I am the designer of their website and spent 5 weeks last year and 2 months this year at the resort. This year I was the "guest photo pro" and conducted digital still & video workshops for the guests.

There is another post on the forum which describes in words that which is impossible to describe. I suggest anyone interested visit the website http://www.kbronline.com Kungkungan Bay Resort./

There you will find all you ever wanted to know about this area and the resort. I have also posted an 80 image all digital porfolio on the site ( that eric cheng has promised to post here on wetpixel...one of these days ....are you listening eric?).

So as they say, if a picture is worth a thousand words, you can see 80,000 words real easy on this website.

My suggestion, visit this resort located in the area of the world's greatest biodiverstity.

Rod Klein
Rod's Website

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 09:29 AM

Hi Rod,

I have heard a LOT about KBR - all good. What is the best way to get there? What is a good time of year to go?

Cheers
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Patterns

Patterns

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 09:59 AM

I was diving last week in Lembeh Strait. BTW there are now two more choices of dive resort actually in Lembeh Strait:
- Sulawesi Dive Quest
- Murex

I suspect you get what you pay for, when comparing these 3 resorts; but I expect the diving itself would not be much different!

I stayed at SDQ, which I would say is still rather "under construction" but the only significant downside from the diving point of view was that there was no electricity except 17:00-24:00 every day. Don't know what it would be for the others.

The divemaster at SDQ said there are different things to see at different times of year; and that having visited in Jan/Feb I should come again both in August and November, to see some other things.

Some photos (small images only, I'm afraid) at uk.photos.yahoo.com/d3m2m (look in Lembeh folder, of course).

-David

#4 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 10 February 2003 - 10:07 AM

James read my article in dive destinations!

#5 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:21 AM

I am not sure if I like the tone of this original post.

Firstly I am in no way comparing myself or my photgraphic experience with the authors.

Since this is a forum on which to express opinion, here is mine. I have seen the Kungkungan Bay resort website and whilst I agree with the author that this resort is located in an 'area of the world's greatest biodiverstity' I believe the website design and its content let it down (too much fancy flash and poor design layout). I believe the website is distinctly average, and the quality of photos posted on a daily basis on THIS forum are far superior than those used on this or the authors website (my opinion).

So if pictures DO tell a thousand words then I would suggest browsing e a few of the Wetpixel (non pro) members galleries.

Mark

:D :) :) :)
Dirk Pitt taught me everything!!!!
E10/Titan housing/1 x Sea & Sea 90 Duo

#6 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:42 AM

I believe the website is distinctly average

I think maybe you've been spending too much time on the board with us Yanks Mark. And to think that I was accused of being "blunt" during a meeting in the UK. :D

Tom

#7 chrisg

chrisg

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 09:11 PM

Hi Rod,

I have heard a LOT about KBR - all good.  What is the best way to get there?  What is a good time of year to go?

Cheers
James Wiseman

We went there (combined with Irian Jaya) in fall of 2001. Our (planned) itinerary for the trip was DC-LA-Singapore-Ujung Padang-Sarong (Irian Jaya) -Ujung Padang-Manado (KBR). Things turned out a bit different (worst flight screwups ever - and all the problems were in the US).

I believe there are direct flights from Singapore to manado.

KBR is fantastic. I'd recommend combining it with a more "conventionally beautiful" destination - while the muck diving and ciritter hunting in the lembeh strait is very rewarding , particularly from a photographic standpoint, it would be a shame to travel that far and not also sample parts of indonesia featuring beautiful reefs and fish.

I'd travel to indonesia again in a heartbeat (been there twice) , but recent events, particularly the Bali Bombing, make it too frightening to travel with my wife and son.

#8 Patterns

Patterns

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 07:24 AM

I'd travel to indonesia again in a heartbeat (been there twice) , but recent events, particularly the Bali Bombing, make it too frightening to travel with my wife and son.

IMO the probability of injury or death in the road transfer from the airport to the resort and back again (a relaxed attitude to taking risks when driving, and no seat belts) is far far higher than the probability of being caught up in a terrorist incident.

I won't go to any areas where there seems to be a reasonable chance of open fighting or riots. But isolated terrorism doesn't affect my travel plans in the slightest.

That's a result of my personal assessment of the risks. Of course, I have no dependants, and that clearly affects my decisions about what risk is acceptable.

-David

#9 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:04 AM

IMO the probability of injury or death in the road transfer from the airport to the resort and back again (a relaxed attitude to taking risks when driving, and no seat belts) is far far higher than the probability of being caught up in a terrorist incident.

-David

Yea, but that's because you've been on that bus ride! Seriously, KBR is a fantastic dive experience but it is unusual and some may like it less than others. We did 4-5 dives a day for 11 days, each lasting at least an hour and I can honestly say I loved every dive. Adding more traditional diving to balance it out will be good for some but not necessary for all. It is personal taste and I'd do KBR only. The dive masters are so good you won't believe it, although I've heard some have left for another resort.

KBR is a macro destination only. No wide angle, no beautiful reefs and no 100 foot vis. You do get an incredible density of unusual creatures. Sometimes 4-5 frogfish on one dive. I saw not one but two different blue ring species there as well as a mimic on three separate dives and a wonderpus on one. Flambouyant cuttlefish, a hermit crab bigger than a basketball (very creepy), pygmy seahorses on demand. It goes on and on. Any diver with the means needs to have it on their short list. All that said, my travel agent won't go there now but will go to Bali.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#10 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:07 AM

We have a trip leaving at the end of September LIVE ABOARD which will alow 4 days in Lembeh (16 dives) + 6 touring the amazing gin-clear outer island reefs & volcanoes.

I handle everything including flights ex. UK or Singapore at a better rate than anyone!

#11 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:13 AM

If I wasn't already booked in September! I'd really like to do that trip.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#12 The Hamburger

The Hamburger

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:18 AM

CG,

What boat will you be using?

Cheers

#13 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:28 AM

Either this one

#14 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:29 AM

Or this one

#15 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:31 AM

#16 The Hamburger

The Hamburger

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:04 AM

I'll be using this one in July
Posted Image
Posted Image

We should compare notes.

Cheers

#17 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:46 AM

They sure leave those beds messy!
Dirk Pitt taught me everything!!!!
E10/Titan housing/1 x Sea & Sea 90 Duo

#18 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 04:11 AM

I'll be using this one in July

Send me details of company please.

#19 The Hamburger

The Hamburger

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 06:44 PM

CGF,

Send me your email address and I will send you their details + Indo trip schedule

You can see more pictures here Damnam trip

Cheers

TheHamburger@damnam.org

#20 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 02:36 AM

Click on the email button below!