• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 04:40 AM

Has anyone had any experience with using the Sea & Sea 16mm lens with the Nikonos V camera? How does it compare with the Nikkor 20mm?

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#2 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 05:19 AM

I have used the S&S 15mm lens. It does a good job for about half the price. There is no question that it is not as sharp as the Nikonos 15, especially on anything larger than 8x10. It has a minimum focus of 1' with a DOF starting at 6" on f22, the same as the Nikonos. The S&S HO viewfinder is very nice.

The Nikkor 20 is an incredible lens. Probably the sharpest lens of the Nikonos. It just isn't wide enough for most. I would suspect the 16 to be lesser quality yet. Doesn't it attach to a 35mm?. IMO you would lose more than you would gain.

#3 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 13 February 2003 - 03:17 PM

Ted,

The screw on 16mm wide angle adapter lens is not very good at all, the edge deffinition is very poor and it's very heavy. It is not the smartest thing S & S ever did. I had one given to me, and I promptly passed it on. The very concept of screwing a heavy lens onto a smaller bayonet one frightens me somewhat too!

Primary Lenses.
The 20mm Nikonos lens is my 90% bread & butter lens, its small, cute, sharp as a pin and does the business.

The Sea & Sea 20mm lens is also very good and the only difference I can see from the above is the cost, it is also very sharp with slightly closer focus (5" @ f22)

As Scotty said: The 15mm S & S is very inferior to the Nikonos, but do try out the S & S 12mm lens & finder.
The 12mm is pin sharp from 0" to infinity on f22. This is my favouritist underwater 'arty' lens ever.

#4 TJO

TJO

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:17 AM

Like Cybergoldfish says; the 12 mm S&S is awesome. I had one before. It took some time to get used to it. You can actually fit in a whole whaleshark at 35 cm distance (I think) if you are lucky seeing one ;-) My fins were on the first 2-3 rolls of film (it is that wide!)