Photo
- - - - -

Matrix / Center Weighted Metering in TTL ( F80 )

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carl_goodier

carl_goodier

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 07:53 AM

Next question..........

Using YS-90 Strobes on a Nikon F80 in a Sea and Sea NX-80 housing. I have heard there is a seperate TTL sensor which measures the light hitting the frame........... and now the question...........

........ does this sensor take into account the Matrix / Center weighted metering modes from the camera, or does it meter on the average light on the film plane.

For example, there is a 10 segment ( matrix ) metering mode and a center weighted mode in the F80, but wil the strobe intensity be altered based on the selection of either. On normal back grounds it is not really an issue, but on a siloette against the sun it may make a difference.

Thanks

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 05:54 AM

10 segment TTL metering, or what Nikon calls "3-D multi sensor balanced fill flash" is not available unless you use a D-TTL compatible flash capable of firing the preflashes that the camera requires to "read" the shot.

I do not believe it will work with underwater strobes. Also, I believe that this type of metering only works with the camera set in Matrix mode - and won't work with center weighted and Definitely not with Spot metering.

HTH
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 10 February 2003 - 06:16 AM

Carl,

UNLESS YOU BUY AN SB28 FORGET ALL THE STROBE/CAMERA METERING QUESTIONS. YOU ONLY HAVE THE STANDARD METERING FOR AMBIENT LIGHT OR BOG STANDARD TTL FLASH.

MULTI SEGMENT METERING RELIES ON THAT PREFLASH TO WORK WITH A DEDICATED SYSTEM STROBE

#4 PauP

PauP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 02:30 AM

The SB flash guns only preflash if left in the hammerhead position. Mine lays flat in my housing (bounce position) and still uses the 5 segment flash sensor with matrix metering. The preflashes are just an extra bit of technology for reading difficult scenes.

With S & S guns its just centre weighted standard TTL flash.

PauP

#5 PauP

PauP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 02:54 AM

........  does this sensor take into account the Matrix / Center weighted metering modes from the camera, or does it meter on the average light on the film plane.

The answer to your question....

With S & S guns the cameras metering mode switches to Center-Weighted Fill -Flash.* you dont have the choice!

From the SB manual....

"This metering system* measures the entire scene and emphasizes its reading on the center area. By pointing the center-weighted area at different parts of the scene, you can choose which brightness level you want for basic available-light exposure."

You mension siloettes, what kind of shot are you thinking of?

PauP