• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carl_goodier

carl_goodier

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 08:04 AM

It is amazing just how poor the write ups are on strobe metering for the F80.

It is amazing just how little information there is, and even after asking expereinced photographers, many cannot not even answer basic questions i.e. the original one with regards to does AE lock control strobe intensity ( no was the answer eventually )

CAn any one direct me to any technical documents available on the web as to how the F 80 meters for the strobes. ( ys-90 underwater photography)

#2 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 08 February 2003 - 07:37 PM

Can any one direct me to any technical documents available on the web as to how the F 80 meters for the strobes. ( ys-90    underwater photography)

Carl,

The only control your camera has over your YS90 strobes is

1. It will trigger it in manual mode, the output governed by the settings onboard strobe.
2. TTL Mode in A S & P via TTL light sensor that looks at the film.

The camera cannot meter for strobe control as the sensor circuitry is separate. ie. a TTL sensor reads the light of the film plane: Assuming it has had enough it extinguishes the strobe. Accurate to maybe 3 stops.

F80 in program mode, using a YS 90 or two, cannot meter the strobe as part of the more accurate exposure system control measuring ambient light. This is called "Program Flash" and can only be utilised in conjunction with dedicated strobes. In most instances of matrix metering with flash the flash will fire a quick burst nanoseconds before the main dump. The camera adjusts the exposure to suit the information received from that initial burst.

If you require this kind of accuracy you need to buy and house an SB28.

#3 carl_goodier

carl_goodier

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 04:34 AM

Thanks a million. you have answered alot of my questions, guess I better pay you a consulting fee one day
;)

on another note, I am surprised that the accuracy is 3 stops ( very wide ) as I am using Velvia which is very sensitive, and most of the shots come out very good ( providing I aim the strobe well and dont turn down the appeture too much )

#4 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 09 February 2003 - 04:56 PM

On the contary, Velvia by nature is not that sensitive at all...

Velvia is a good film to pull and push - I regularly shoot Velvia at 100ASA especially when confronted with bright subjects and gives jet black backgrounds in macro & c/u. For extra richness in your blues at wider f stops drop slower 1 speed stop.

#5 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 04:57 PM

Here is the book:

Thom Hogan's Nikon Flash Guide
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#6 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale