• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:45 AM

Hello All,

Just back from DEMA and post-DEMA dive trip--it was great to meet all the WP folks in person and be able to put faces with names. I had a great time!

Two New DiveFilm releases: on the website itself as the top video is Leandro Blanco's very powerful "Bad to the Bone." If you haven't already seen this short film, make it a point as it is (in true Blanco style) simply incredible. It is dedicated to shark victims, and a poignant homage to sharks. Leandro Blanco has once again raised the bar for creative compositing and editing of underwater short videos, as well as music composition and performance.

The latest DiveFilm Podcast Video is a glimpse of a TV series called, "Sea Inside, Pacific Northwest," produced by John Williams of Still Hope Productions, Inc. The series is available via cable and public access stations, and features the work of a number of underwater imagers who have all contributed their images to this project in an effort to raise awareness about the ecosystem and marine life of the cold waters along the northwest coast of the U.S. John Williams has dedicated his life and work to trying to make a difference in the future of our oceans, and his work just keeps getting better and better.

You can get to the podcast available for free thru iTunes by clicking here if you have iTunes 4.9 or higher on your computer. You can also put the xml feed in any podcatcher that supports video enclosures. By subscribing thru iTunes, you help keep the podcast a "Featured Video Podcast" so that more people might become aware of the podcasts who wouldn't otherwise, and so help raise awareness about the ocean world.

Two great productions now live at DiveFilm, presented in partnership with Wetpixel.com.

Mary Lynn

#2 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:39 PM

Wow! Blanco is incredibly talented...shooter, editor, producer, music...you name it. What an accomplishment!
-shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#3 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:04 PM

Best of all, he works as an airline pilot, and edits his UW movies on long haul flights between takeoff and landing, to kill time... :)

#4 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:01 AM

Best of all, he works as an airline pilot, and edits his UW movies on long haul flights between takeoff and landing, to kill time... :)

Yes, Leandro Blanco is extremely talented! And he's incredibly dedicated to applying his art to protecting marine life and raising awareness. I've put an extended bio up about him at DiveFilm.com so folks can learn more about him. Also, for those of us struggling to improve our editing (which for me can sometimes feel like progress is elusive), it's helpful to know that he has been honing his skills and art for many years in many different forms. It takes lots of hard work and years of practice. So, keep at it, and check out his work for great inspiration!

Leo Blanco is one of my heroes!

Mary Lynn

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 21 November 2006 - 12:20 PM

If anyone gets a chance to see his film dedicated to Dali called 'Dalirum' or his great film 'My World' you will only find inspiration. He is a real master and provides me with much to aspire to.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

Leandro just sent me a DVD with 20 of his shorts and he is simply incredible. Haven't seen anyone whose work is nearly in his league.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:51 PM

Awesome stuff, makes me want to go out and buy some video gear so I can totally drain the bank account.
Leandro Blanco's 'Bad to the bone' is wonderful, very intense.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#8 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:18 AM

I also agree ... it has been a while since I have had a video podcast I haven't turned off before it was finished .. not that this was podcast .. but WOW

Loftus: I agree .. I was already thinking about borrowing some gear yesterday before I watched this .. I am slowly getting back into video .. on land anyways ... maybe I should try underwater again.

The video shooting had great content .. but the way he pieced it all together was magical .. oh and damn it he has a cool sounding name to go with it all too !
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#9 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:52 AM

Absolute, grade one, genius.. :wacko:

MTV should be playing that for the song alone...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#10 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

... it has been a while since I have had a video podcast I haven't turned off before it was finished .. not that this was podcast .. but WOW

Ahh!! Let us call this the "Giles Guantlet" as in "Throwing down the Giles Gauntlet!"

Does anyone out there have an underwater video for a DiveFilm Podcast Video under five minutes in length that will keep Giles watching right through to the end?? If anyone thinks they have one that might do it, please contact me via PM and we'll make arrangements for you to submit your video to possibly be podcast as an upcoming episode!

Underwater filmmakers, let's see what you can do!!

Mary Lynn

#11 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:36 AM

Lol ... the Dive Film Podcasts are always watched through their entireity ..

I also subscribe to the Photoshop guys .. who do 45 minute Photoshop tutorials .. those can sometimes drag on .. but come out quite regularly.

That and some News Vidcasts .. well they don't always get played all the way through

I have a question .. I had a problem with the videos being stuttery about a month ago .. I found out it was a quicktime issue .. so I altered some suggested settings in quicktime and it was fine .. I dont remember what I did .. but it started happening again .. anyone know how to fix it ?
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#12 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:06 AM

Darn, I was hoping for a rollicking campaign to meet the Giles challenge!

On a serious note, though, I'm concerned about the video stuttering issue you're experiencing. Are you on a Mac or PC? Which version of iTunes and Quicktime? Are the videos stuttery on your computer or are you watching them on an iPod? Have you downloaded the podcasts to your HD ("get episode" or "update podcast") and then are watching them in the iTunes interface? One suggestion is to open the video itself in QuickTime Player (not through the iTunes interface) and see if it still stutters. If not, it would probably be an iTunes issue.

There's a troubleshooting doc for Windows users available thru Apple that addresses some settings issues. It's really important for me to know what's happening to viewers and how to troubleshoot. So please let me know more about your set-up and results, Giles!

Mary Lynn