Place to serve our HD large videos?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:02 PM

Is there a place one can have their HD video segments served up in widescreen format that is decent size and quality short of serving it up one's self?

I can't read French, but I like the size and format of the below clips although the quality could be better, but I think part of that might have been the rig used.

Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:04 AM

Hey Dave
Cool clip..is that your work?

Check out this.
If you update to FLASH 9 then you can watch it full screen.
FLASH FULL PAGE

I'll have some info on where to load them up soon fo free :)
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:14 AM

No, those aren't my clips......someone took those in Lembeh Straights with a small single cmos camera with no lighting at all with the exception of night diving and then it was a single small apparently non-video light.

I would be quite disappointed if my footage came out looking like that considering the capabilities of an FX1 with HID lighting.

I am going to try to process my primarily macro footage through Shake's smoothcam feature to make it look a little cleaner, but the stuff I've taken on my second outing in the Philipines is far closer to what you'd expect from an FX1 with dual HID's running all the time.

I downloaded Flash 9 and was able to play your footage fll screen, but there is a reslution loss at full screen that wasn't acceptable, so I went back to the original size that was more worthy of your excellent footage.

Right now as time permits I am writing text to go along with the footage clips. I managed via research to find some really interesting stuff on some of the animals I've shot like a complete explanation on how cuttlefish change their colors, their three hearts and their copper based blue colored blood, etc.

I'm really itching to go on another video trip to either the PI's or Lembeh Straights and Bankga Islands. I wish i could go on these trips more often. It is not the cost of the trip that gets me, it is the not working for 10 days that costs me 4 times the cost of the trip...othewise I would be going every other month. That would be so awesome!

I will wait for the info on where to serve it up.....

Edited by RebreatherDave, 23 November 2006 - 07:32 AM.

Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
accumulate b4 I die

#4 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:31 PM

Dave, the best option at the moment for quality seems to be DivX's stage6 site. Your viewers will need to download their player/decoder but if you're after quality, stage6 is much better than the likes of YouTube and Google Video.

#5 skawdiver

skawdiver

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:52 AM

Dave, the best option at the moment for quality seems to be DivX's stage6 site.

Absolutely !

Tjek out this streamning HD clip, no diving, but still gives an idea of the unbeliveable quality. Remember to maximize the clip to full screen.

Amazing that it is possible to stream such a quality :)

HD streaming clip

Edited by skawdiver, 28 November 2006 - 12:53 AM.

Hans Christian Andersen - www.skawdiver.com • Underwater film production in Scandinavia
Sony PD-170 + Amphibico Housing + Amphibico monitor + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights
Sony TRV 310E + Ikelite Housing + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights + Ultralights arms system

#6 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:04 AM

OK, that streaming clip rocked even though the content didn't have a lot of motion in it, which makes things easy.

My Apple buddies who are into streaming codecs scowl at DivX because it is a commercial codec and not a "standard" one. They get upset when I point out that the vast majority of torrent video files are in DivX or Xvid. :)
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#7 David White

David White

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:55 AM

If anybody can figure out which format to render a Hi-Def file to prior to converting to the DivX codec please let me know. I have been puzzling over this for weeks.

Edited by David White, 28 November 2006 - 08:59 AM.

#8 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:25 AM

I did mine straight out of a Sony Vegas timeline (Render as > Video for Windows (AVI) > Custom > Video > Video Format > DivX > configure).

Presumably other NLE's will let you do this.

Alternatively if you open the DivX converter, then click "view list", then "add", you'll see a whole host of permitted file types. So if you can't go straight from your NLE's timeline, render out first to a good AVI codec such as Cineform, Huffyuv, Canopus, Sony YUV or even uncompressed if it's a short project, then drop it in the converter.

Other alternatives include Dr. DivX or accessing DivX as a compressor in VirtualDub.

#9 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:00 PM

I remebered the early version of Dr Divx could be framed served out of Prem Pro.
The lasted version and the now new encoder does not work any more :)

I think I use to drop m2t files to it though.

Yes and a uptop not moving much clip is easy to get good qualtiy with, try moving underwater stuff.....
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#10 David White

David White

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:31 AM

Thanks Nick, rendering to the DivX codec within Vegas seems to work better and uploaded no problem. However, the video came out at 4:3 instead of 16:9.

#11 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:59 PM

David I haven't actually uploaded one to Stage6 myself but I thought I'd seen 16:9 ones on there. Not sure though.

Do you mean it comes out stretched vertically or letterboxed with black bands top and bottom? Are Stage6 doing that to it or is the video 4:3 if you play it locally on your media player? If you're creating it like that locally then you need to change your project properties (file > properties) in Vegas and possibly adjust the DivX encoding settings too.

#12 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:26 PM

Azureus gives you a HD bit torrent version of YouTube ... for all you crazy HD guys .. pretty cool ... free hosting for sil big videos !!

http://www.zudeo.com/
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#13 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:27 AM

Wow, that streaming HD clip of the chick on the guitar was awesome. Incredible guitar playing too.

Seems Zudeo is to download clips, not stream them.....
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
accumulate b4 I die

#14 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:56 AM

I believe they have plans to stream .. it's brand new .. but they are planning on mixing up the technologies of bit torrent and youtube .. it may need software to stream .. I haven't tested it out yet .. Matt did .. maybe he has some more knowledge.

But it has potential .. and is the first of it's kind .. I remember Matt saying it had ridiculously fast download times ..
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#15 David White

David White

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Nick. By rendering within Vegas to Video for Windows.avi and selecting Custom template>Video rendering quality:Best - Video Tab>Frame size:HD 1080 (1,920x1,080) - Frame rate:29.970 (NTSC) - Field order:Upper field first - Pixel aspect ratio:1.0000 - Video format:Sony YUV Codec and Interleave every 0.250 seconds the file rendered into an acceptable format for DrDivX to convert. I am suitably impressed with the DivX codec since these 2 to 4 minute HD video clips render out as 30GB to 40GB files and yet after conversion are ony 60MB to 100MB in size. It is possible to stream them from Stage6 but unless the entire file is buffered before initiating playback the audio and video get out of sync. You can check out the results here: http://stage6.divx.c...nView_HD/videos .