• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Don Silcock

Don Silcock

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:03 AM

I am looking at buying a Nikon teleconverter for use with my 70-200 f/2.8G ED-IF VR but I'm not sure which one to go for - the 1.4x. 1.7x or 2x

Can anybody offer some advice on this?

Thanks, Don
Don Silcock
Underwater Site: www.indopacificimages.com/
Travel Site: www.nomadicpixel.com/

#2 Peter Schulz

Peter Schulz

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:24 AM

I use both the 1.4 and the 1.7. Both produce sharp results. However, from what I have read the 2.0 does not produce as good a result. Thus my recommendation, get the 1.7.

http://www.peterpete...econvertors.htm
Nikon D70 with Nikkor 10.5, 18-70, 60mm & Sigma 15mm lenses in Ikelite housing with 2 Ikelite DS 125s.
Website Gallery

#3 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:52 AM

[quote name='Peter Schulz' date='Nov 24 2006, 06:24 AM' post='109574']
I use both the 1.4 and the 1.7. Both produce sharp results. However, from what I have read the 2.0 does not produce as good a result. Thus my recommendation, get the 1.7.

I've had excellent results shooting baseball with the 70-200 and the 2x teleconverter. The only drawback is that is costs you 2 f-stops, making the 2.8 lens a 5.6. But that's what iso boost is for.

Check my website, go to the Chicago Cubs page.

www.ehanauer.com
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#4 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:39 PM

For this lens it probably won’t be a problem but the Nikon telleconverters are not working with the entire Nikon lens, strange at its sound the Kenko works better with most of the Nikon lens, worst a check before purchase.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#5 CeeDave

CeeDave

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Underwater, especially large animals<br />Landscape, especially wetlands

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:11 PM

For this lens it probably won’t be a problem but the Nikon telleconverters are not working with the entire Nikon lens, strange at its sound the Kenko works better with most of the Nikon lens, worst a check before purchase.

The TCEII series work flawlessly with the 70-200 VR AFS. The Kenkos are better for AF lenses (not AFS).

I like the 2; I think the 1.4 is a bit too mild for a 200mm lens. When I bought the 2, I was expecting to get the 1.7, but so far the images I've gotten with the 2 haven't made me regret buying it or forced me to get a milder TC.
Chris White
Subal ND70 + 2X DS125 ... mostly 10.5, 16, and 60