Photo
- - - - -

Would you pay a small fee to eliminate ads?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:40 AM

John, i specifically remember Seb beating you about the head with a fish carcass to get the sharks in closer...

So I said to Bertran "Isn't it a bit risky holding the fish bait in your hand?"
"Poof!" he replied. "I have been doing it this wayt for ten years."

How many stitches was it?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#22 writepic

writepic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:diving, taking photos and making films, my family, my friends, chocolate icecream.......

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:28 AM

hi,

i think the pay option without ads is a great idea, i spend most of the year using poxy dialup
from my laptop, when and where i can get to a connection, and wetpixel is currently
by far the slowest site i visit, and quite often stops me using it, and others when i need to
post something or read up on something it fails to load.

i pay about 40 -50 dollars a year to be a member of another nature photography based
forum and it's money well spent. those pages never fail to load, and even being in the archival
years of dialup i can still maintain a good level of presence in that importatn web source.

i would definitely prefer to pay a yearly one off than monthly however.

mark
[font=Lucida Console]http://eyemocean.blogspot.com

#23 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

I find the advertisements on Wetpixel to be pretty helpful when looking for expeditions, vendors, and other commercial information related to our wonderful avocation. Its almost a one stop shop for links of most things underwater photography related without having to memorize or search for all the links you need.

Like many others have said, the ads are more benefit to me than burden. Their presence one way or the other isn't enough to rule out whether I would consider financial support of Wetpixel. Though I appreciate the cost of running Wetpixel in both time and money, there seems to be little incentive to donate a little cash other than ensuring the continued growth of these forums.

So in the context of this particular question, I'd probably pony up the $3/month without expecting much in return. On the other hand (and probably much suited for another thread), I'm sure there are other ways of raising capital which might be more rewarding to the membership while still keeping with the free and non-commercial spirit of Wetpixel.
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#24 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:UWP, Surf, Travel

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:30 AM

Ideas like the coffeetable book, t-shirts and calendars are more attractive than pay for an ads-free version of wetpixel (to me)...

My 2 cents.

#25 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:25 PM

I never really used to worry about Ad's..But now I think there great..

Especially 'Gates' and 'Amphibico' who are (i think) considering loaning me a housing for the new V1 and FX7 cams to shoot my Pike spawning in 2007..Jeez these guys are FAB !!!! :)

Dive safe

Dean(dreaming)B
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#26 timing

timing

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:53 PM

Not sure how succesful it actually is but a lot of the successfull discussion boards on t'internet offer exactly this - ie people pay not to have ads served to them on the site.

Personally I have no problems accessing the site in the UK and also have no issues with the ads so the pay option is of no interest to me.

For those with dial-up or slow connections that don't want the frippery of a bells and whistles site, you can always use the lo-fi version which gives you a text only version, a very 'retro-web' feel - you'll find the link at the bottom of very page and it's easy to use and naviagate around. Simply book mark this version for when the bits are down!

#27 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:53 PM

Hey guys. I've just made some site changes incorporating a second server, and I'm now getting render times of 3-4 seconds, which is pretty fast for Wetpixel. An experimental no-ad version is rendering in 1.7-2 seconds (on par with nearly all other sites). I'm measuring render speed with the FasterFox Firefox plugin.

I have yet another machine that I'm going to bring into the fold early next year, which should help a lot, too!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos