• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 05:54 PM

THis is the Third one to make it on ebay. The last one was for the D60 amd it close and sold for 900.00 No ports and never been wet.

#22 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 03:09 AM

WOW!!! You mean I really have a chance at this?!?! Guess its time to start shopping for a D100!

AWESOME
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#23 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 04:09 AM

Kasey I wish I'd have known. I purchased the Titan package together with all the lenses!

Having said that I may be interested in you E20. Would you be prepared to sell?
Dirk Pitt taught me everything!!!!
E10/Titan housing/1 x Sea & Sea 90 Duo

#24 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 04:11 AM

Good chance, but since you bid so early it's going to cost you more. =( Talk to James he can tell you how to bid snipe. Thats how he got my Sync Cord =)

#25 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 05:05 AM

Guess its time to start shopping for a D100!

The chepaest I've seen this in the US is $1649. If you can find any cheaper let me know!

#26 Chris_Duncan

Chris_Duncan

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 05:36 AM

The D60 housing that went for $910, was from a Seller with a bad feedback rating, which I am finding out was justly deserved. I am sure that the DX100 will go for significantly more since the Seller has a good feedback profile.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...3001463494&rd=1

#27 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 05:53 AM

The D60 housing that went for $910, was from a Seller with a bad feedback rating, which I am finding out was justly deserved.  I am sure that the DX100 will go for significantly more since the Seller has a good feedback profile.

Can you expand upon this? Why was his rating bad? Poor delivery? Surely when you buy something from an auction, unless it is a commercial setup, you cannot expect refunds etc. Is it not a case of pot luck with private sellers & thats the risk you take?

#28 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 05:58 AM

Can you expand upon this? Why was his rating bad? Poor delivery? Surely when you buy something from an auction, unless it is a commercial setup, you cannot expect refunds etc. Is it not a case of pot luck with private sellers & thats the risk you take?

Read for yourself

#29 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 06:13 AM

Simon,

Just as you posted I was reading this very rating. It obviously pays to read the sellers rating.

#30 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 06:20 AM

when you buy something from an auction, unless it is a commercial setup, you cannot expect refunds etc

Actually, Mark, that's one of the benefits of eBay in general. There are some protections for both buyer and seller, if you work within their rules. That's why the feedback profile is so key, it gives you a way of deciding if it's worth it or not to deal with a particular seller / buyer. That being said, once you hit a certain dollar value for the product, it gets tricky no matter what you do, unless you use an escrow service to add another level of protection.

#31 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 06:20 AM

Whenever I buy something on Ebay, I ALWAYS make sure to talk with the seller on the phone before sending any money. I confirm exactly what I bought (that it IS in fact what was advertised, etc) then send payment. I like to pay with SOMETHING that is trackable and reversible if possible. Cashiers Check or Money Orders are the worst. Once you send one, it is GONE. Paypal seems to be a good balance. If the seller burns you, you at least have SOME recourse, since Ebay owns Paypal now.

And for the record, I did not buy Chris's sync cord. My maximum bid was the same amount as his, but since my bid was entered first, I got it...:-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#32 Chris_Duncan

Chris_Duncan

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 07:03 AM

I bought a strobe from the same person that sold the D60 housing. I won the auction on 1/20 and have yet to receive it. I have been in constant contact with the Seller (fortunately I had his real name and it is a very unique one), and expect to be made whole one way or the other.

I always pay for my auctions with a credit card through PayPal. I don't do this because of the protection of PayPal, but because of the policy of my credit card (refer to the story linked below). Most CCs will reverse the charges from a PayPal purchase, but PayPal frowns upon this action (they are usually out the money).

http://www.msnbc.com...58786.asp?0si=-

As far as the protection offered from PayPal and eBay, I would say it is minimal at best. Another gentleman bought a strobe from the same person, but he paid with PayPal using his checking account. He has since filed fraud complaints with both eBay and PayPal. He has to date received a total of $78 from PayPal (he paid $380 for the strobe). He has not received anything from eBay (the maximum protection is $200 less a $25 processing fee).

Lastly, for most items, I believe eBay is a seller's market. If an item is described as "in like new condition", there are plenty of actual pictures of the item, and the seller has a good feedback profile, I find most of these auctions selling near or even above what I can find new at an on-line retailer. It is when you take the risks (i.e. buying from someone with little or no feedback) that you get the best deals.

Goodluck bidding on the DX100.

Chris

#33 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 07:09 AM

I second what Chris said about using a credit card with consumer protections.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#34 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 08:15 AM

I found that if I really wanted something on Ebay, not to bid on it until the end. If you bid on it early, some guy coming home from happy hour will make it his mission to outbid you (Speaking from experience). That's another issue, don't bid on things after happy hour.

I synch my watch with Ebay and litterally wait until the last few seconds and then place a bid for the maximum amount that I'm willing to pay. You either get it or you don't. If you are lucky, you get it for less than your maximum. I don't know about you guys but I find this quiet exhillerating, heart pounding, blood pressure goes up, but at least you don't pay more than you want for something.

#35 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 08:38 AM

I don't know about you guys but I find this quiet exhillerating, heart pounding, blood pressure goes up,

You sound a bit like my wife Debbie let loose with my plastic. She's a shopaholic too!!

#36 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 08:47 AM

Yeah, it can be exhilarating, although it can be frustrating too. I was buying some speakers doing that very thing, and thought I had it, but someone outbid me with literally like 15 seconds. It's all in good fun though.

#37 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 09:37 AM

I buy and sell alot on eBay, have a perfect record and have never been burned. I've lost a few auctions in the last few seconds when someone was "snipeing". There is even software available now that will snipe for you.

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#38 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 07:24 PM

I must admit, I tend to snipe =)

James look what I won last week =)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=3003724207

#39 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 08:15 PM

there is no reason to bid before the auction is over. i think of a price i'd be happy with, and bid that at the very end. If the prior high bidder has a higher maximum, then.. well, I lose. :D
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#40 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 06:32 AM

Kasey,

I see you were out of luck with your bid then? Those last minute bidders eh! They must have been eavesdropping on wetpixel!!!

I wanted to ask you what you carry your L&M macro/wide angle lenses around in on a dive. The wide angle is humongous!! I assume you use some sort of leg/BC pouch?

Mark