• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 11:25 AM

Ok, I know we've done this topic once before, but a while has passed and I wanted to see if anyone has any additional insight. Does anyone know if Sea and Sea is going to support any lenses other than the 7 or 8 they've listed in the catalog with the D60 housing? It's really just a matter of producing zoom gears for the lenses for the most part, so I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal to get it done.

The lenses I'm most interested in are:
Sigma 15-30
Canon 16-35L
Canon 24-70L
Canon 28-135 IS

Any thoughts anyone? Eric, any creative ideas, what did you end up doing to get the 16-35 working? I'm even open to getting gears custom made if the prices are reasonable, I just would like more options than what's currently available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

#2 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 11:30 AM

Tom, I am using (with great success) the 8" dome port with a port extender, and a 16-35 zoom gear from UK Germany, which works fine with the Sea & Sea (luckily!).
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#3 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 12:52 PM

Ah ha!!! I managed to answer my own question by looking at the Sea and Sea japanese site... (I'm so smart :D )

A rough translation:
Is in the midst of developing the lens gear which
- EF24mm F2.8 -> NX compact dome port and NX fish eye dome port
- EF28-105mm F3.5 -4.5? U -> USM NX zoom port
- EF28-70mm F2.8L USM -> NX compact macro port based + extension ring 22~2 step + compact wide port
- EF16-35mm F2.8L USM -> intermediate stiffening ring 40 + NX compact dome port and SX intermediate stiffening ring + NX fish eye dome port
- EF14mm F2.8L USM S X -> intermediate stiffening ring + NX compact dome port and NX fish eye dome port
- The EF180mm F3.5L macro USM -> while examining (presently of February of 2003, please inquire details to the sea and the sea domestic Sales Div.)
- The EF24-70mm F2.8L USM -> while examining (presently of February of 2003, please inquire details to the sea and the sea domestic Sales Div.)

Oh, and thanks for the info Eric...

#4 chrisg

chrisg

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 05:17 PM

Ok, I know we've done this topic once before, but a while has passed and I wanted to see if anyone has any additional insight.  Does anyone know if Sea and Sea is going to support any lenses other than the 7 or 8 they've listed in the catalog with the D60 housing?  It's really just a matter of producing zoom gears for the lenses for the most part, so I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal to get it done.

Sigma 15-30
Canon 16-35L
Canon 24-70L
Canon 28-135 IS

Any thoughts anyone?  Eric, any creative ideas, what did you end up doing to get the 16-35 working?  I'm even open to getting gears custom made if the prices are reasonable, I just would like more options than what's currently available.

Tom

I just received my dx3060 housings today. One piece of info I can give you - gears from the cx-600/603 appear to be
compatible. I was able to use the focus gear for the 100mm macro from my cx-600 housing in the new housing with
no apparent trouble.

flame-bait : I've used zooms underwater and don't care for them. I think I'm more likely to return
to the surface with more "keepers" on average with a prime lens whose effective focal length is close to one end or the other than
I am with a zoom.

#5 chrisg

chrisg

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 09:14 PM

Ok, I know we've done this topic once before, but a while has passed and I wanted to see if anyone has any additional insight.  Does anyone know if Sea and Sea is going to support any lenses other than the 7 or 8 they've listed in the catalog with the D60 housing?  It's really just a matter of producing zoom gears for the lenses for the most part, so I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal to get it done.

Sigma 15-30
Canon 16-35L
Canon 24-70L
Canon 28-135 IS

Any thoughts anyone?  Eric, any creative ideas, what did you end up doing to get the 16-35 working?  I'm even open to getting gears custom made if the prices are reasonable, I just would like more options than what's currently available.

Tom

I just received my dx3060 housings today. One piece of info I can give you - gears from the cx-600/603 appear to be
compatible. I was able to use the focus gear for the 100mm macro from my cx-600 housing in the new housing with
no apparent trouble.

flame-bait : I've used zooms underwater and don't care for them. I think I'm more likely to return
to the surface with more "keepers" on average with a prime lens whose effective focal length is close to one end or the other than
I am with a zoom.

hmm, interestingly, the ports are semi-compatible as well. The "compact macro port base" has the same threaded
connector as my cx-600 housings do. One of the ports that is compatible with connecting to the compact macro port base which I have, but which
is _not_ listed in the port chart for the 3060 is #56261, which is a longer flat port.