LOL! Nice back step!

#22 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:29 PM

Relative to the giant squid, they do commit to pain and potential death. If you remember the Howard Hall incident in the Sea Of Cortez in the early 1990's, you will know of a great danger these animals represent. Some of his crew almost died because, during a night dive, the giant squid were attracted to their video lights. Regulators were ripped from the diver and one sustained a gash on his neck that kept him out for good. I spoke with Howard personally and he just told me that it was an experience he doesn't want have again.

It sounds like some list members are having fun with this kind of situation but please be realistic and respect the life down there. Have fun and be fun, but be safe too.

Joe

#23 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:33 PM

Today, Jan 22, I was in contact with Howard Hall who shared with me his amazing Humbolt Squid story that appeared in Ocean Realm in 1989. I have posted it at http://www.joebelanger.com/mugged.html if anyone is interested. And thatks a bunch to Howard for emailing me the story as he wrote it. I have dived with Howard since this incident and have other information relavent to hthis encounter. The guy who went to bed and got cut never dived again after that night, and he was a veteran. That will tell you how scarey it must have been. He has since passed away.

It is a great read.

Joe

#24 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:37 PM

Joe,

I'll re-read the article link but I recall it was Alex Kerstitch, and I think he was professor at the University of Arizona.....

He was a great stock photo shooter and sold a lot of images seen in today's textbooks, especially from Baja....I even have his Sea of Cortez Marine Invertebrates book he sent me and personally signed Aug. 31, 1989.

Didn't know he passed away....

Davidthe Haas
davidhaas@sbcglobal.net

#25 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:45 PM

There was a well-documented account published a few years back, people were doing u/w video w/o cages or other special protection, several divers were attacked, very serious situations, but nobody was lost. Some incredible photographs.

I understand that cages are now SOP for diving with Humboldt squids, but the cage has to be designed very differently than a shark cage. Call it ... "Calamari's revenge."

EDIT: Probably was the Howard Hall - Ocean Realm story posted just above, which popped up while I was tapping out this posting.
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#26 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:30 PM

Hi David,

When I talked to Howard over a cup of coffee before a dive, he was telling me more about the story. He never said a name, just that the guy who went to bed died. So it's probably a good summation that it happened. I'd be happy to contact Howard if you want, but don't know how much he wants to share to a forum though since I am sure it was a personal loss as well.

Joe

#27 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:34 PM

Hi Robert,

At the time it was not with cages and seeing Howards pics from post dives it is still not with cages. They in fact had good luck and used no cages. But he is quick to say that we should be careful and plan. There are others who have also dived with the squid and used extreme protection.

Happy diving.

Joe

#28 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:51 PM

Joe,

Thanks for the conversation details with Howard. No further discussion with Howard is necessary....

Bob and others.....All you need to know about trying to dive and get photos of Humboldt squid can be viewed in the National Geographic special Bob Cranston shot a couple of years ago. I think it's titled "Red Devils". He did most of the dives without protection but he's recorded telling the surface cameraman (as in speaking to the audience) "I react immediately if they even touch me! I want them to think I'm a big, bad ass creature down there and they better think twice about messing with me!"

This is especially funny because when I had a group diving with Blue Sharks out at San Clemente' in 1996 Bob and I were outside the cage with my customers inside. There I was with this top notch guy and we're both tracking Blue sharks in our viewfinders with our backs against the cage. As we both worked around I accidentally bumped Bob's fin which resulted in him violently reacting and kicking until he saw it was me! Boy was I embarrassed while trying to show this world class cinematographer I could swim with the "big dogs" :lol:

Back on the boat I apologized and Bob fluffed it off, telling me, "Dave, I was just glad it was you and not a shark trying a test bite on my leg!!!! " :o

Sooooo, I'd have to think twice about doing any Humboldt squid dives wihtout a chain mail suit...When I dived in one on the California same trip I couldn't even get Blue shark to bite me :( I figured I'd seen the other guides do it, and this was my once in a lifetime chance to see what a shark bite felt like protected by the suit....

Maybe some day :)

David Haas
Haas Photography Inc.
[.sig deleted -editor]
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#29 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:30 AM

Squid are washing up on the shore here in southern California again...3/20/05. Here are a few shots I took the last time they washed up (2 months ago). You can see their relative size with the kid in the picture.

Joe

Attached Images

• squid_kid_small.jpg
  • squid_eye_1_small.jpg
  • squid_eye_2_small.jpg

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#30 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:32 AM

All shot with a Nikon 10.5 fisheye with strobe mounted on tripod...manual settings on camera and strobe (for those who are interested).

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#31 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:56 PM

I was thinking that I saw the strobe in the upper right corner - peeking in...:-) Cool shots, would be "fun" to be in the water w/ these guys.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#32 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:48 PM

Hey there is a D in Humboldt. As i live there .
These critters can pack a mean bite. Mark
2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world

#33 mt110121

mt110121

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:46 PM

I don't think thats real at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#34 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:27 AM

I don't think thats real at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well... you can not think all you want. these are real animals. :D
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#35 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:49 AM

Squid are washing up on the shore here in southern California again...3/20/05.  Here are a few shots I took the last time they washed up (2 months ago).  You can see their relative size with the kid in the picture.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The second shot needs the caption:
"Objects are Closer Than They Appear"

Here's a link to a Nat Geographic story:

National Geographic: Researchers Shed Light...

Jack
Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr