• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:07 AM

We are all complaining about security checks, taking off our shoes, belts, drinking breast milk to prove it's not an explosive, quart bags of 3 oz fluids or less...but somehow a baby gets thrown into the mix?!?

TSA screw up

Ok I know they are overworked and the infrastructure isn't that efficient. However, if a guy is made to drink his child's milk, I'm flabbergasted as how a baby can make it through. It's been like a madhouse at LAX lately with holiday travels and airport closures due to blizzards. I've lost $$$ of equipment and luggage at LAX, but this really takes the big prize for screw ups!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:45 AM

She must be a can short of a 6 pack or what?
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:39 AM

Reminds me of a classic piece of footage of Tommy Lee of 'Motley Crue' coming through the scanner holding a bottle of Jack Daniels..Pure class. :wacko: ;) Airport security didn't see the funnyside.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#4 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:47 AM

Its pretty sad, really. I'll try not to dog-pile on the TSA and try to keep from sounding like a TSA sympathizer! ;) As much as we're a wide traveling and well-educated lot, there is a large number of folks out there that don't travel that much and don't know the protocols of flying or airport security, despite all the fancy signs and overpaid TSA workers trying to get the message out. As air travelers go, there's just a high number of first timers that just don't know the rules or how to play by them. And it doesn't help that the rules are constantly changing. There should be an airline and airports just for folks that don't know the drill. Let us in the know go to an "express" airport: short lines, competent screeners, lax baggage weight limits, cheap fares, decent in-flight meals, leg room..... Hey! This could be my Christmas list! :wacko:

I'm glad I'm not traveling this holiday season. Instead, I'm making my extended family fly to me! B)
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#5 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

I'm not a fan of the TSA, but I wouldn't even consider this a TSA screw up. They have one staff member watching the metal detector and one watching the x-ray monitor. That should be enough to cover security. I don't think adding another one at the x-ray input to cover the one in a billion case that a baby gets put on justifies the cost.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#6 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

I haven't been through LAX in a long while, (thank $DEITY), but in all the other airports I have been through recently there has been a TSA employee loading things into the xray machines and generally keeping the line moving... are you saying they have stopped doing that?
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#7 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:36 AM

I haven't been through LAX in a long while, (thank $DEITY), but in all the other airports I have been through recently there has been a TSA employee loading things into the xray machines and generally keeping the line moving... are you saying they have stopped doing that?

Things must be different in Texas. :D

I can't remember ever having someone else load my stuff into the x-ray machine.
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#8 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:50 AM

Things must be different in Texas. :D

Craig Ruaux

Posted Image
Tiger Shark
651 posts
Oregon, USA

Been out of Texas quite a while now Herb.

I'm talking about the guy that reminds you to take your laptop out of the carry case and tells you you need to take your shoes off. Or are we just overregulated and bossed around excessively here in the People's Republic of Oregon :D
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#9 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:09 AM

Been out of Texas quite a while now Herb.

Oops. Sorry. I blame it on this age thing.

I'm talking about the guy that reminds you to take your laptop out of the carry case and tells you you need to take your shoes off. Or are we just overregulated and bossed around excessively here in the People's Republic of Oregon :D

I do see that guy some of the times. In lots of cases, he's out at the line directing traffic, telling people which of the N lines to go to and not watching the input to the x-ray.

#10 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:16 AM

Amazing!! LOL!!

My experience is the same as Craig's, there is always a person asking me to take my shoes off, remove the laptop from the bag, etc, right at the end of the line. But I don't fly that much through LAX...

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#11 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:23 PM

i love it when they tell me to take off my flip flops...

sorry for you people who have to wear shoes....

:D

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#12 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:29 PM

Oh great -- now they're bound to prohibit us from taking babies as carry on luggage. My guess is they'll make us check them from now on to be on the safe side, along with our pets and bottles of water . . .

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#13 Wayfarer

Wayfarer

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Location:Detroit, MI is home but I drive around the US 300 days a year
  • Interests:Driving, Travel, Photography and as of 2006 Diving

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:47 PM

Oh great -- now they're bound to prohibit us from taking babies as carry on luggage. My guess is they'll make us check them from now on to be on the safe side, along with our pets and bottles of water . . .

Actually after the two flights I was on today mandatory checking of children doesn’t seem like such a bad policy. LOL
Canon 20D, Sigma 14mm EX, Ikelite with 8”dome, single DS125
www.psholmes.com