Photo
- - - - -

What brand & speed of 35mm slide film to use??

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Sacandaga Man

Sacandaga Man

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:24 AM

Back in the day - I used Fuji 50 color slide film in my Nikonos III. Have there been any breakthroughs in film technology in the last 10 years that would drive me to switch??

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:29 AM

Only the Velvia 100:

http://www.fujifilmu...oductVelvia.jsp

I used it a few times before completely switching to digital, and its quality is comparable to the Velvia 50, with the added bonus of being ISO 100. But it's hard to find and the price is going up too these digital days...

Luiz

P.S.: I moved the topic to the Film area...

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

Back in the day - I used Fuji 50 color slide film in my Nikonos III. Have there been any breakthroughs in film technology in the last 10 years that would drive me to switch??

Depends if you are shooting with the slide as your final product (say for projection) or if you're wanting to have a piece of film that you can scan to create a digital file for digital projection, display on screen, printing etc.

If the latter is your goal, you might want to consider Fuji's Astia 100. It is far lower contrast than velvia or provia, and the colour reproduction is very accurate, and it scans very nicely on consumer scanners which aren't known for their abilty to handle high contrast. Astia's blue reproduction is particularly nice, not the magenta-blue of the other fuji films. Its very nice for natural light/clear water/big blue images.

So you can shoot Astia, make a nice scan with lots of information and add your contrast and saturation enhancements in Photoshop. It's a lot like shooting RAW digital files and adding your preffered characteristics to images as required.

darren

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6178 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

do they still make Velvia 50? i thought that was stopped and only 100 available now. I could be wrong

Velvia 100 is ok, but i prefer Provia 100

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:05 AM

Hi,
I was told Fuji is going to reproduce NEW type of Velvia 50......really hope they do. I use mixture of Velvia, Provia & Kodak ES.

Sam
D800/D4 in modified Nexus housing
and Nauticam D-7000 with Insect-eye lens.

#6 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:21 AM

Hi,
I was told Fuji is going to reproduce NEW type of Velvia 50......really hope they do.
Sam

I also understand this is the case.

#7 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:42 PM

As one who has shot film underwater for over 25 years and still does with 5 working systems-the statement back in the day is really about kodacrome 64-now that was hot back in the day
The newer trend 90's to recent was Velvia 50 for macro work as well as w/a. Now thats thats gone for most ( still have a bunch in fridge) the Velvia 100 seems the best bet. Film has been kicked down here a bit but still when it works well nothing is better than film for those super snappy shots. Glad to see others using it. Remember they made a trillion or so of film cameras for about 100+ years and those new dig ones are only a few years old so film will be around awhile more I feel.
Film is less forgiving and is more costly to work with but hey quality sometimes costs more. Mark
2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world

#8 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

As one who has shot film underwater for over 25 years and still does with 5 working systems-the statement back in the day is really about kodacrome 64-now that was hot back in the day. Mark

Kodachrome was great u/w. Astia is the closest thing to kodachrome as far as blue repro goes.

#9 highsee3

highsee3

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:12 PM

Kodachrome was great u/w. Astia is the closest thing to kodachrome as far as blue repro goes.

I prefer Asita on land. I use it in the 120 format and found it is the best for scanning. When I start shooting underwater, I will continue to shoot Astia due to the extra exposure latitude.

Also, there are two types of Velvia 100. The new Velvia 100 and the older Velvia 100 F. I never liked the 100 F, not near as nice as the Velvia 50. stay away from the 100 F

#10 diveski01

diveski01

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, skiing, camping.

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:00 AM

Depends if you are shooting with the slide as your final product (say for projection) or if you're wanting to have a piece of film that you can scan to create a digital file for digital projection, display on screen, printing etc.

If the latter is your goal, you might want to consider Fuji's Astia 100. It is far lower contrast than velvia or provia, and the colour reproduction is very accurate, and it scans very nicely on consumer scanners which aren't known for their abilty to handle high contrast. Astia's blue reproduction is particularly nice, not the magenta-blue of the other fuji films. Its very nice for natural light/clear water/big blue images.

So you can shoot Astia, make a nice scan with lots of information and add your contrast and saturation enhancements in Photoshop. It's a lot like shooting RAW digital files and adding your preffered characteristics to images as required.

darren

Is there an Astia 100 and Astia 100F? If so, is there any difference between them?

How do print enlargements turn out (8x10, 11x16) using these films for u/w photos?

Becki Gibson

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

astia 100 is the previous generation of the current astia 100F film. same color balance just a generation better. This is the film i use in the studio as it renders skin-tones the best. I havent used it underwater but i would expect it to have a nice neutral color balance without any extra contrast or saturation like velvia. This neutral balance will make it easier to scan to make prints.

As for enlargements i have made prints from wallets to 24x36 prints off astia slides it just comes down to the scan that was done and how well its prepared before printing, if its a good slide it should be pretty easy but if its not it could be a major challenge and require alot of photoshop work to get it to print. I personally shoot it right in camera so that my post is minimal if at all, and save the voodoo, and tricks to save a shot that i need.

Overall this is a pretty good film i would use it or provia (color balance is alittle more blue which is good underwater when properly exposed) as a slide film to start with underwater.

FWIW

Tooth

Edited by Scubatooth, 05 April 2007 - 06:46 PM.

#12 fisheyeview

fisheyeview

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Duuuuuuhhhhhhhh

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:28 AM

When I was still shooting film I used Velvia 50 for all my macro shots & Provia 100 for my w/a shots. You can still get both from several sources.

Something else to think about is AGFA Scalla for black and white. As far as I know it is the only B&W 35mm slide film on the market. For a while there was a problem with getting it processed, but I found a place that is still processing it.

YMMV
fisheyeview

#13 kmahler

kmahler

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Just adding my vote for Fuji Velvia! I have tried lots of film over the years and will only shoot on Velvia now. When I'm shooting film. :vava:

#14 glennbarryphotography

glennbarryphotography

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:38 AM

Velvia 100 is the best

#15 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

Any places in Australia still selling Velvia 50 and 100??

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#16 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Before I went over to shooting a digital camera, I changed to shooting colour negative film that scanned very nicely. Of course, it was a temporary phase as digital cameras quickly improved.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#17 Larry C

Larry C

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

I get Velvia 100 in five packs on Amazon.  It's not especially pricey, but nobody local process E-6 anymore, so I had to send it to SoCal (The Darkroom) at $13.00/roll plus another five bucks for high quality scans and five more for shipping-about twenty four dollars a roll total.  Ack.

D300 MDX-D300, 2xYS-110, 1 YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 600

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro