Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#22 Ana Rodriguez Blanco

Ana Rodriguez Blanco

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Music, Egyptology, travel, painting, and of course, diving and underwater photography.

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:01 AM

It's a very sad new for all of us :rolleyes: He was a very beloved person and one of the greatest. We will miss him but somewehere in the blue his spirit will be giding us as the brightest light. I'm sure that Ike will be present at every dive and every picture we make.

My condolences for all Ikelite Family, friends and co-workers.

Thanks, Ike!

Ana.

#23 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:41 AM

Very sad indeed. I am sure I will be reminded of Ike and Ikelite in my next Dirk Pitt novel read.

My condolences to Ikelite and his family.

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#24 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:30 AM

Ike was indeed a great supporter of the the art and science of underwater photography. He and his associates at Ikelite set a standard for innovation and customer service that any company, in any industry, would be proud to emulate. It is ironic that as I was reading the tributes you all set forth this morning, the Ikelite banner resided on the top of the page. One more indication of his dedication to the UW photo community.

Picture_1.jpg

http://www.scubadivi...ham_passes_away
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#25 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:41 AM

With the sadness of Ike Brigham's passing comes the realisation of the enourmity of his contribution the imaging community - not just as provider of equipment -but as the author of the those light hearted moments from the addled shopkeeper....

Condolences to the staff @ Ikelite & the Brigham family.

#26 awm

awm

Brine Shrimp

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:00 AM

With sadness I learnt of this news, my deepest condolence to Jean, Duanne, and all at Ikelite. Ike is a legend in the industry especially among underwater photographers – his kindness and thoughtfulness has helped many of us to achieve great success. He is the light of all my underwater images. I will remember him well. Michael AW

#27 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:39 AM

Sad news, and although I never met Ike.... it looks like he will be missed by many.

Condolences for all Ikelite Family, friends and co-workers

Maybe he should be laid to rest in a BIG Ikelite housing.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#28 fdog

fdog

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:22 AM

Like so many here, Ike was my first housing...

<moment of silence>

Thoughts out to family and employees, who will bear the brunt of the loss. I hope they know there's a huge "extended family" that grieves along with them.

All the best, James

#29 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:31 PM

I've never met Ike in person but I did meet some of his children - of the plexiglass variety. It is clear from Ike's messages to this forum, his website, manuals, and products that he poured his heart and soul into his work and his customers. He often seemed to care more about our bottom time than his bottom line and that is becoming a rare attitude in today's world.

My deepest sympathy to all family and personal friends.

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#30 TomStack

TomStack

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:27 PM

I first met Ike in 1964 while working for Dacor Corp. when I was in high school.

Ike was already making UL700 lights for Dacor and then began constructing Kodak Instamatic housings
for Dacor.

He was always most gracious with his time when confronted with questions from a very young UW
photographer and remained the same through the years.

A dedicated pioneer who will definitely be missed.

Thank you Ike!

Tom Stack

#31 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:11 PM

Guys -

I'd like to take quotes from this thread out and use it in a news posting about Ike's passing. So please write something if you have a story about Ike you'd like to share.

Here's the front page post:
http://wetpixel.com/...te-passes-away/
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#32 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:47 PM

I used Ikelite housings for my film SLRs until one day something possessed me to buy an Oly C2020z and a little Oly plastic box before a trip to Providenciales. I wrote to Ike and told him that he ought to think about making something a bit more robust and that it would probably sell pretty well. He was skeptical. However it didn't take long and he jumped in with both feet and his company has led the way with a broad range of housings and innovations like internal TTL circuitry. He was certainly a curmudgeon, and darn it if he didn't sometimes stick to his guns about things people wanted him to change. However, whenever I made suggestions to him, he was genuinely curious and fixed what was broke or made improvements if it made sense to do so. Once I got a first run housing and wrote back that buttons really close together shouldn't all be the same height -- he said to send it back and I got it again a week later with the buttons at different heights and a note that subsequent housings would have the same mod for people like me who were all thumbs. He even offered to overnight a strobe to me in St. Vincent once when one of mine exploded underwater. Can't get service much more personal than that, and the "wry" sense of humor was an added bonus.

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#33 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:50 AM

Ike was a real gentleman, of which there seem to be fewer in the diving world every year. He contacted me after my first g lamp comparison test in Diver Mag many years ago and gave me his full support (although it did not necessarily give his products an advantage), for which I was always flattered. He will be missed.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#34 Dakine

Dakine

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:52 PM

My condolences to his friends and family. I love my Ikelite, thank you Ike!

#35 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:06 AM

Very sad news. His loss is clearly felt by many people around the world. Condolences to the younger Brigham's - we are thinking of you.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#36 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2278 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

Just got back in town to read of Ike's passing. So sorry to here this. I've had a number of e-mail exchanges with him and he always did his best.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#37 kthan

kthan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:08 AM

ikelite doesn't have the sexiest looking housing around, but there is 1 reason why I stick with them - Ike.

My condolenses to Ike's family and staff.

Thanks Ike, for helping rediscover my passion for diving.

#38 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

I loved corresponding with Ike. He always looked for the root cause of something so he could build the fix into his manufacturing process. I started my UW photography journey in the early 1980's with a 110 instamatic in an Ike housing that used flash cubes. Man the company has come a long way. We'll miss you , Ike. I am confident that the Ike crew will carry on his vision and business methods.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#39 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:06 PM

Amigos,

Ike was a true "one of a kind". A businessman, yes. But one who truly wanted to help the "average guy" (whatever that is in this niche activity) record the underwater world. He likely never envisioned how far Ikelite would go....

I think back to my first Ikelite Instamatic 126 film camera housing, with a metal arm for FLASHCUBES!!!Through the Nikonos accessories, Substrobe 150 strobes, SLR housings and now multiple digital offerings it's been a hell of a progression. By the sheer will of the man....

I'll miss his hilariously entertaining posts here......

He truly knew how to embrace new technology and integrate it. And we're all the better for it :rolleyes:

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#40 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:44 AM

This is very sad news - Ike enriched all of our lives with his presence here and his long career in the underwaterphoto business. My first housing was also an Ikelite - for the Coolpix 990.

Ike - I'll miss talking to you my friend.

James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org