4 replies to this topic

#1 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:50 AM

Hi all,

I need some advice from the pros... A few days ago I was approached by a client wanting to buy a few of my photos to be printed in tiles for a design project. Ultimately they are for single use and he needs the digital files to provide for the company that makes the tiles. I decided to charge a little less than what I would for a large size print (since he will be paing for the actual printing). Do you think this is reasonable?

Second question, since I will provide full resolution files, where can I get a single-use contract for him to sign? Is there any place in the web with sample contracts?

Thanks,

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#2 Aquatic

Aquatic

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

Luiz,

This book should help. I've tried the ASMP and APA sites, but if your not a member you can't access this info.

http://www.amazon.co...d=23NHC85B5G0WZ

Dan
Dan Tyrpak

Aquatic Camera,LLC
Email
Aquatic Camera.com

Aquatica, bigblue, Fantasea, Fisheye, Ikelite, INON, Light & Motion, Nauticam, OLYMPUS, Reefnet, Sea & Sea, Stix, ULCS

#3 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

Perhaps you can arrange to send the files directly to the printing company.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#4 FlyingKiwi

FlyingKiwi

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

You're charging less for this person to use your photo on presumably several tiles than you'd charge for a print?

Without knowing all the details of the usage, my initial reaction would be to charge more.

One aspect to consider when pricing is the overall cost of the project. If the overall project is expensive then you can more easily charge a greater amount. If, for example, your photo is the centerpiece of a $4000 bathroom makeover then you can certainly get away with charging $100, $200 or more for its usage, because that cost is only a small fraction of the overall project.

Richard.

#5 Fishooter

Fishooter

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:00 AM

Luiz,

Couple of thoughts:

I urge to think about this - "client wanting to buy a few of my photos to be printed in tile". They are not BUYING the photos they are LICENSING the rights to USE the photos. Get in the habit of using LICENSING. Using BUYING leads to the idea that they own the image which then leads to the idea that what they paid allows them to do what they want with the image and THAT is NOT what you have in mind.

Each image is unique - don't believe you have 10,000 commidities in your images library - customers will try and convince you all anemones are alike and we know they are alike in one way (all anemones) but yours must some unique quality if the client is talking to you. Hard part is to keep them talking to you and get the price as high as can - capitalize on as much of what is special about your photos.

So you should not!!!! - "I decided to charge a little less than what I would for a large size print (since he will be paing for the actual printing). Do you think this is reasonable?" - You should charge what you can for the usage - AS much as you can for the usage. This not an editorial usage it is worth significantly more!

Also, if I were you I would insist, you may have thought of this, that a small copyright mark with your Logo (your initials maybe) should be attached to one corner (very small) but it should be there. Protect your ©. This should be stated in the license agreement.

All he is doing is licensing the use rights - he has to pay to print, stamp, paint etc...the image as long as he does not exceed your term of license (term, usage etc..)

Each time you send files or images anywhere a document should go with them (Delivery Memo or License Agreement) IN your case below you defnitely need access to contracts and pricing software. I use fotobiz. If you wish to license or even just track clients/contacts and invoices for whatever (it is designed for the independent photographer) this software will pay for itself in time saved in the first use and then financially after a couple of nice licesning deals (http://www.fotobiz.net/).

"I will provide full resolution files, where can I get a single-use contract for him to sign?"

Licensing rates are all over the place as well so the prices you see on fotobiz ( and all other software and all the pro websites) are just starting points. The secret is in understanding the client, the true need, and their budget (whether you can get a $ figure or not). Often I find people expect to use the image for next to nothing - film producers budget almost nothing to license still photography for advertising etc...

I am sorry I don't have single quick site to send you to get documents but I would expect the cost of software would be no more than 25% -30% of this license, probably less - off the top of my head based on what I would charge to license the one-time, non-exclusive rights for this usage.

Feel free to get back to me off list if you wish. Oh, I have no affiliation with fotobiz other than being a long time satisfied user.

Hope this helps.

Best
Paul