• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#161 pablo

pablo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

I found the tests very informative, and really appreciate your work to do them and post the results. A great learning experience.

#162 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

I thought I'd report back on my totally non-scientific tests with the Expodisc and my EVO housing.

As mentioned previously, my idea was to buy an Expodisc and then power-up my EVO/HC1 with it in place since I don't have MWB control with my housing.

So a couple weeks ago in Curacao that's what I did.

Unfortunately, the results for me were indifferent at best. I tried several tests while pointing at both white sand and the sun from around 60' during the startup process but I really can't say that I saw much of a difference.

There is a slightly more neutral tone to the footage shot doing this process vs. just starting up the camera without the Expodisc in place but it's more of a cooler, slightly greyer tone than anything else. The colors didn't seem to be much better in either sample. Based on previous results posted by others here I expected warmer, more lifelike tones using the Expodisc.

I suppose it's also possible that the whole process of starting up the camera in this fashion has some flaw I've not considered that precludes this idea from working.

And I only tried it one day, under semi-bright conditions, so there might be other situations where it would've worked better. The one day we had really bright skies, I left the filter in my apt...

Bottom line:

I have an 82MM Expodisc for sale in the classifieds.

Edited by sjspeck, 21 May 2007 - 05:23 PM.

#163 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

Can Amphibico add the MWB control option to your housing ?

#164 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

Can Amphibico add the MWB control option to your housing ?

Their solution is a mechanical button to press the assignable button on the A1U. But I have an HC1 - it doesn't have an assign button.

I knew that when I bought the EVO though. It wasn't until almost a year later that I decided to play around with MWB.

For what I normally shoot - clear Caribbean water, less than 90' - I'm finding that my HC1 does a nice job of Auto WB. And I can fix it in post....

I just saw a video posted by someone on another forum, their contention was that although they could "fix" the blue, they left it in since that was what they perceived while shooting. I think I'm starting to agree...

Edited by sjspeck, 21 May 2007 - 05:23 PM.