• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Heavy D

Heavy D

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

Hi everybody. I new to posting here but have been lurking (reading) for well over a year. I find this a great site and full of info. Sorry I don't have anything as great to share with you.
I've been watching about the FX-7 like others on this site and out of no where I see this one the HC-7
Sony HDR-HC7
Specs
It has a 1/2.9 3200 cmos sensor. It has a lot of nicer specs over the HC-3
It's minimum lux is 2 , The HC-3 has a min Lux of 5, the FX-1 has a min Lux of 3 and the Fx-7 has a min lux of 4
I thought I would pass this along to you guys. I would like to upgrade but just not sure if I want a camera and housing that weights 40 or 50 pounds to shoot for fun. This will be interesting to watch for a small light weight camera.
Thanks for your time
Dave

Edited by Heavy D, 08 January 2007 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Mini Dive

Mini Dive

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:46 PM

HC7 - 2 lux, x.v.color, smooth slow motion, dual record and HDMI, I like that.

Thanks

Edited by divedude, 10 January 2007 - 06:10 PM.

Dive deep, play with sharks . . .

So long and thanks for all the fish . . .

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

Our intrepid reporter Drew has informed me of 4 new cameras from Sony that will effectively replace the HC1 and HC3

These are the HC5 and HC7 which record to tape

and the UX5 and UX7 which will record direct to DVD.

Of special interest on these cameras is the 2 lux rating.

Price will range from $999 to $1399 depending on the model.

The link is here: New Sony HDV cameras

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 skawdiver

skawdiver

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:30 AM

Sony Z2 - 1lux - when ?

Give it to me - NOW ;)

B)
Hans Christian Andersen - www.skawdiver.com • Underwater film production in Scandinavia
Sony PD-170 + Amphibico Housing + Amphibico monitor + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights
Sony TRV 310E + Ikelite Housing + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights + Ultralights arms system

#5 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:32 AM

I was about to splash out on a Sony A1 to replace my TRV950, but looking at the HC7 specs I might be tempted to wait. Better low light (allegedly), also claims to have one touch WB.

Hope someone gets their hands on one soon for a review.......
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#6 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:58 AM

Am I reading it right or is the 2LUX the 'night-shot' mode i.e..Infa red.

That will be no good for what we need. I think most cams can get 2LUX in that mode already. I suspect my A1 can..

If I'm being a fool then ignore me. ;)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:07 AM

Just read it again..YOUR RIGHT...

This means if they can get that on a consumer cam..'WAYHEY' BRING ON THE NEW A2 BABY !!!!!!

Dive safe

DeanB

By the way 'HeavyD'... Now that you found love..What ARE you going to do about it...
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#8 Heavy D

Heavy D

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:16 AM

By the way 'HeavyD'... Now that you found love..What ARE you going to do about it...

I guess I'll have to post more. Dean ;). Still I come hear to learn from the masters. I think this is one of the best underwater video forums on the net. The info and reviews you guys do is the best. At least it is for me as hobbiest that shoots only for fun.

2 Lux (0 Lux with Super NightShot® Infrared System)
What I see, is it's 2 lux and 0 lux in night shot mode

I sure would like to see the HDR-HC7 tested in a Amphibico EVO, This could be a nice travel camera which I'm looking for. Wagsy's review on the EVO was just fantastic and shows you can shoot great vids with smaller cameras.

#9 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:19 AM

There is a mini review over on the camcorderinfo site. No footage was shot, but it does give a good info on controls and handling. Looks like manual white balance set is still via the touch screen.

#10 johnny boy

johnny boy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, U/W video,

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:19 AM

Yeah, i too noticed the one touch white balance and got excited thinking that it might have a dedicated button, but no! Touch screen again. Good ol' L & M will no doubt do a work around. I feel sorry for the housing manufacturers always trying to keep up. The 2 lux seems promising. Did anyone note the size of the sensor.......

I'm definately looking seriously now at the FX7. In fact i'm reaching for the wallet.............. had a 30 minute chat with Amphibico earlier in the week here in the UK. They didn't have any more details over and above the website. I shall have to hang on! No doubt they will release more info and have better pictures soon (currently only 3D computer images at the mo). Anyone wanna buy my TRV950 bluefin system!

#11 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Off Roading, Rock Climbing, Mt. Biking, etc...

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, i too noticed the one touch white balance and got excited thinking that it might have a dedicated button, but no! Touch screen again. Good ol' L & M will no doubt do a work around. I feel sorry for the housing manufacturers always trying to keep up. The 2 lux seems promising. Did anyone note the size of the sensor.......

I'm definately looking seriously now at the FX7. In fact i'm reaching for the wallet.............. had a 30 minute chat with Amphibico earlier in the week here in the UK. They didn't have any more details over and above the website. I shall have to hang on! No doubt they will release more info and have better pictures soon (currently only 3D computer images at the mo). Anyone wanna buy my TRV950 bluefin system!

Apparently the 2 LUX is some clever wording by Sony. All previous cameras were rated at 1/60 shutter speed, where as the new crops use 1/30th shutter speed for the new ratings....

"All of the new models exhibit excellent low-light performance with a new auto slow shutter feature, which automatically reduces shutter speeds to 1/30 sec (minimum) in order to capture brighter images. These camcorders can shoot clear, detailed video in dark environments as low as two lux."

http://news.sel.sony...ease/27067.html

#12 pablo

pablo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:58 AM

Wow, if that's right that doesn't make the low-light cababilities sound as great as they originally did. Wouldn't that equal about 4 lux at 1/60th in round numbers? Still, it's a nice feature to utilize lower light even if the shutter speed drops to do it; you dont have to go to "NS" mode or something like that. And the cameras have a lot of other nice capabilities and features that have been added. It seems that there was a focus ring on the 7 but not on the 5, although I haven't seen this verified definitively.

Edited by pablo, 10 January 2007 - 09:35 AM.

#13 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Off Roading, Rock Climbing, Mt. Biking, etc...

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

Well, really the only difference is that it's "auto". Most of the other models you can manually lower the shutter speed to 1/30th.

I can kinda see it being useful, but a lot will depend on how it's implemented.

I'm guessing it will go full open apeture, max gain, and then resort to lowering the shutter speed. And I'm also guessing that this will be a feature that can be turned on and off....

If it was 2 lux @ 1/60th, this would have been the camera I've been so deperatley craving.... I love me some HD, but dang it if I don't miss the 1 lux glory of my VX2100.... :)

#14 Maxheadspace

Maxheadspace

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Wrecks

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:55 AM

These look like great cameras, but does anyone have extensive experience producing with AVCHD format? I've heard that AVCHD is intended more for DVD production and is more consumer friendly. I bought a used HC1 specifically because it was HDV (that and it had a few more features than the HC3 or SR1). I know that HDV can be difficult to produce at times, but I don't want to sacrifice quality for convenience. Anyone working AVCHD now?

Max

:)
Max Headspace

#15 pablo

pablo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

My SR1, of course, is AVCHD. But I have no experience with it yet. I've been shooting in SD until I update my editing software.

Edited by pablo, 14 January 2007 - 04:30 PM.

#16 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:43 PM

Here is a good read about the new format.

AVCHD (Advanced Video Codec High Definition)
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au