4 replies to this topic

#1 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6181 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

Not to be outdone by Sony, JVC has also introduced a new camera, the Everio GZ-HD7.

JVC showcased their HDD Everio GZ-HD7. The 3CCD camcorder uses the AVCHD codec, writing to a 60GB hard disk for up to 5 hours of HD recording and more at lower resolutions. Fujinon supplies the 10X optical lens and also the mounting system for the 3 1/5" CCDs.

A link is here Everio GZ-HD7

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#2 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

Not to be outdone by Sony, JVC has also introduced a new camera, the Everio GZ-HD7.

JVC showcased their HDD Everio GZ-HD7. The 3CCD camcorder uses the AVCHD codec, writing to a 60GB hard disk for up to 5 hours of HD recording and more at lower resolutions. Fujinon supplies the 10X optical lens and also the mounting system for the 3 1/5" CCDs.

A link is here Everio GZ-HD7

Mike, accoring to JVC's press release, you might have made a mistake on the codec end of things - I posted the full press release on UWDV and they state in the specs the following:

Record Mode Record Resolution CODEC Video/Audio System Bit Rate Recording Time FHD
(Full HD High Quality Mode) 1920x1080i MPEG2-TS /
MP2 (MPEG1 Layer 2) Variable Bit Rate (VBR): Max 30 Mbps
Ave. 26.6Mbps approx. 5hr SP
(Long Time 7 Hour Mode) 1440x1080i MPEG2-TS /
MP2 (MPEG1 Layer 2) VBR: Max 22 Mbps
Ave. 19Mbps approx. 7hr 1440CBR
(Constant Bit Rate Mode) 1440x1080i MPEG2-TS /
MP2 (MPEG1 Layer 2) Constant Bit Rate (CBR): 27Mbps approx. 5hr

This is the first camera that has actually gotten my attention - especially for shooting while freediving - now if only one of the top 3 housing companies would do a housing for this camera (Maybe Gates???)

Edited by freediver, 17 January 2007 - 11:28 AM.

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#3 jbonehoss

jbonehoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Diving: Indonesia, Thailand, Bahamas

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:33 AM

That little camera certainly got my attention too! I am stills only at the moment but I am excited to hear more about this. It looks really interesting...quite a nice package.

To be honest, the idea of using tape as a storage method makes me queezy :D Everytime I actually start to think about video I get stuck right there. It just feels so mechanical & stoneage. I just can't help but remember my commodore vic20 with its tape drive haha in 1981: http://oldcomputers.net/vic20.html

Later!
Justin Ebert : Addicted to Compressed Air
Nikon D70s : Sea & Sea Housing : 10.5mm, 15mm, 17-35mm

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:44 AM

Keep in mind that JVC does not have the best reputation for reliability/durability. But we do have a window towards what the future holds.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 skawdiver

skawdiver

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

I just can't help but remember my commodore vic20 with its tape drive haha in 1981: http://oldcomputers.net/vic20.html

I had a Vic20 too, although I never found out why...... :D
Hans Christian Andersen - www.skawdiver.com • Underwater film production in Scandinavia
Sony PD-170 + Amphibico Housing + Amphibico monitor + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights
Sony TRV 310E + Ikelite Housing + Kowalski 1250D Speed lights + Ultralights arms system