• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:16 PM

Drew, what don't you like about Moorea ? It was my impression that a Bora Bora & Moorea trip was a good combination for a 10 night trip.

Bora Bora is more scenic thus more spectacular during sunsets thus more romantic. The over water bungalows of the Sofitel Motu is very nice. Nice way to spend 5-6 days for a 10th anniversary get away from it all holiday... then hit Tahiti (Papeete) during Heiva (carnival of french polynesia)

The only two i wish i had dove are Tahiti and Tikehau.

You didn't miss much by not diving there. :lol:

When you compare it to some of the other big animal areas (Eastern Pacific) where you have a higher chance of poor viz, cooler water and rock rather than reef, having a bad weeks diving in the Tuamotus is still pretty good!

Agreed! Rangiroa and Manihi rocks!

Personally, i wouldn't bother with Bora-Bora, i found it to be overpriced and the diving to be no better than Mo'orea, yes they have Mantas, but when i was there the new resort being built had scared them away from their usual cleaning station.

There's more to life than diving, esp when you have a significant other/spouse/shag of the month with you. :P

As for the attitude of the French towards non-english speakers i think that its true that they do treat someone differently who doesn't speak French, but that's the same in France so don't take it personally!! The Tahitians are very warm people who will normally go out of their way to help you if you know a few words in Tahitian or French.

Mer** Ve luv ze Amahreekans. I agree on the polynesian cordiality. However, I think to be fair, not all french are rude to the 'unfrench'.

I also think that the attitude of the French towards Americans got a little worse when the US changed the rules about flights in transit having to disembark, meaning on their flights to and from the homeland they had to put up with TSA, which isn't a fair reflection of a Nation (USA), as i don't think many Americans enjoy it either! Not an excuse but may help you to understand.

I think it's more about that certain war that we shan't talk about here and that certain president who has helped perpetuate the hatred.

Yes Tahiti is silly expensive, but i think it is worth it if you do your research and know what to expect, oh and take a phrase book for some banter with your French guides.

Exactly, research and realize you have to pay for the remoteness of the area.

Btw how did you find the diving in Apataki?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#22 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Photo Dude at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:53 PM

There's more to life than diving, esp when you have a significant other/spouse/shag of the month with you. ;)

I didn't go to Bora Bora on my own! But i didn't get any more enthusiasm out of her in Bora Bora than i did in Mo'orea!

Mer** Ve luv ze Amahreekans. I agree on the polynesian cordiality. However, I think to be fair, not all french are rude to the 'unfrench'.

I wasn't digging on the French, i made many good friends there!

Btw how did you find the diving in Apataki?

The Sharks there are great, but numbers are dropping :( The 'corner' dives are ok, nice for small schools of fish and the odd Marlin/Sailfish.

IMHO Fakarava and To'au are better options due to a better chance of good viz (being able to see the bottom 200' below you), although being hooked onto the reef in a 6 knot current in Apataki Pass when a 18' tiger swims past is an experience few forget. Especially when the Video Pro (me) can't be arsed diving because its the 4th dive and 'light is fading' (wants a powernap). :lol: :P :P

On my very last dive in FP, i saw over half a dozen mature Silvertips, a silly amount of Grey Reefs, 1 Lemonshark, a few white and Blacktips and a Tiger..... Guests complained - we didn't explore enough and we only saw sharks!

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio in an photographer owned / operated resort

#23 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

I didn't go to Bora Bora on my own! But i didn't get any more enthusiasm out of her in Bora Bora than i did in Mo'orea!

Oh lordy why do you tempt me so? Errr sometimes a starfish is just a starfish? Or maybe...hmmm...errr... I'm sorry you didn't like Bora2. ;)

The Sharks there are great, but numbers are dropping :( The 'corner' dives are ok, nice for small schools of fish and the odd Marlin/Sailfish.
IMHO Fakarava and To'au are better options due to a better chance of good viz (being able to see the bottom 200' below you), although being hooked onto the reef in a 6 knot current in Apataki Pass when a 18' tiger swims past is an experience few forget. Especially when the Video Pro (me) can't be arsed diving because its the 4th dive and 'light is fading' (wants a powernap). :lol: :P :P

Are we back on the starfish again? :( That's why I thought of Apataki, that someone is fishing there. When were you there?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#24 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:38 PM

Simon got there in around April 2004... his arrival meant it was time for me to leave! hahaha

S. Fakarava is a better shark dive than Apataki in my opinion... but, 200 sharks all in one big pile anywhere is great.. :lol:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#25 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Photo Dude at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:27 AM

Simon got there in around April 2004... his arrival meant it was time for me to leave! hahaha

See the pettyness i have to put up with! I was here first... like a child!! :lol: :P

S. Fakarava is a better shark dive than Apataki in my opinion... but, 200 sharks all in one big pile anywhere is great.. ;)

South Faka is the best for shark action, but due to the topography of the pass and it orientation its often a bit darker than the north but the sharks do come a lot shallower.

I still don't think you can beat To'au for variety, but then again i did see a Tiger there frequently.... Mike, have you ever been diving with a Tiger Shark? B) :P

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio in an photographer owned / operated resort

#26 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:33 AM

hmmm

two words

BITE ME!

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com