5 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:18 AM

Hey, guys. Norbert Wu and I will be in Alaska this June/July. Come out and play! Book at the Nautilus Explorer website:

http://nautilusexplo...aptainslogid=60

Posted Image

PRESS RELEASE FROM NAUTILUS EXPLORER

While our Alaska 2007 trips have been virtually sold out for the last year, one date just opened up because of an unexpected group cancellation. This hugely interesting journey boards in Sitka on June 24th and disembarks in Ketchikan 12 days later on July 6th after exploring the best of southeast Alaska and the Queen Charlotte Islands..

Mike Lever, Captain and partner in the Nautilus Explorer commented, “Norb and Eric are among the very elite of underwater photographers. This is a fabulous chance to get to know them and venture well ‘off the beaten track’ with us in Alaska. I will be skippering this trip myself and guarantee that you will experience the best cold-water scuba diving in the world, get closer to breaching and bubblenet feeding humpback whales than you ever imagined, see bears up close and more bald eagles than you can count, climb onto icebergs and watch glaciers calve, take beach walks and shore expeditions, flightsee from a small floatplane and even visit natural hot-springs, pristine beaches and an ancient Haida village”.

For all of those folks who had inquired about Alaska 07 over the last year, WE WERE WRONG, we have space available after all and invite you to join us!!

info@nautilusexplorer.com
www.nautilusexplorer.com
604-675-7614

“Alaska DVDs” available with our compliments and by request.

Note from Norb

"My trips are run so that people can have a good time and see things that they might not otherwise see. If you are looking for the bargain dive trip of the century or an intense photo seminar-type trip, you should probably book a trip with someone who specializes in photo workshops. I am available to give informal discussions on underwater photography, and of course I run well-planned trips (I only go to sites that I have a desire to go myself and only on boats that I have found comfortable), but my divers are ones that can have a good time even if the visibility may be bad, the seas rough, or the animals uncooperative. They enjoy my company, and I enjoy theirs. It is a very select group, and I hope that you will be comfortable with the informality and the way things are run."
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 3@5

3@5

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:47 AM

this one i am gunning for :blink:....
does anyone know how easy (or not) it is to get the port of departure (sitka) if i arrive in Vancouver? Which airlines should i be looking at?
/paul
Paul Papadopoulos
canon 1dmkII + seacam silver + inon z220
My Webpage

#3 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:50 AM

Also, there’s a good chance you’ll get to see Eric flood his new drysuit as he tries to figure out how to dive in cold water.

That is the best sales picth i ever heard !!

I would love to do Alaska .. the things you would see that you would never see anywhere else or again .. another time perhaps.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#4 Jettbritnell

Jettbritnell

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

this one i am gunning for :blink:....
does anyone know how easy (or not) it is to get the port of departure (sitka) if i arrive in Vancouver? Which airlines should i be looking at?
/paul

Hey Paul,

I believe Alasaka Airlines flies there out of Vancovuer. However, I would suggest you try contacting the Nautilus booking office as they likely have some flights/carriers all figured out.

For anyone else who may be on the fence about going on this trip, I would highly reccomend that you consider going. Apart from enjoying one of these Alaska trips aboard Nautilus myself in the past, I have done many trips along the West Coast on this vessel. The crew is second to none...and Captain Mike Lever is an avid diver and an accomplished underwater photographer. He will get you to the best dive sites and ensure that you have one of the best vacations you have ever had.

Also, you have both Norbert and Eric on board as an added bonus...so you can't go wrong. Should be worth the price of admission alone just to be within earshot of Eric when he emerges from the water in a flooded drysuit!! (Just kidding, Eric)

All the best, Jett

Jett Britnell
Jett Britnell Photographics
http://www.jettbritnell.com
http://jettbritnell.blogspot.com
Member: Ocean Artists Society (Phorographer)

Nikon D800 in Aquatica Housing, twin Sea & Sea YS-D1's.

#5 3@5

3@5

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:06 AM

Jett,

Thanks for the info. I check alaska air and judith at nautilus and it seems that there's no direct flight from vancouver, i will have to go back via seattle. i was kind of trying to avoid us airport security nightmares but it looks like i will have to.
this would be my first foray into excessivelly cold waters and i doubt i would be any less noticeable than eric if i end up flooding my drysuit given that i find the water in indonesia cold at times:)
oh well hopefully crossed this will work out :blink:
/paul

Edited by 3@5, 02 February 2007 - 01:07 AM.

Paul Papadopoulos
My Webpage

#6 3@5

3@5

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

oh well seems i am on my way to alaska :D
now, to get and learn how to use a drysuit ... and how not to get water in it, more fun and games coming
/paul
Paul Papadopoulos
My Webpage