• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Don Silcock

Don Silcock

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:50 PM

I decided to purchase the Sigma 17-70, despite already making a significant investment in the Nikon 17-55. I love the Nikon lens - it's really a quality piece of equipment, but it's close focus ability is limited and the extra range of the Sigma combined with it's close-up ability convinced me to buy it for use underwater as a general purpose "scouting" lens.

I very much doubt that the image quality will be close to the Nikon 17-55, but I intend to take some test shots this weekend with both lenses and will post the results next week some time.

I had a nice surprise when the Sigma lens arrived yesterday as the old zoom ring from my 18-35 film zoom fitted and have the lens, D200 nicely in my Subal housing. I now need to get the correct extension ring and see if I need a dioptre - hence this post.

Has anybody else got this lens working in a Subal housing yet? I believe that the 33mm EXR and FE dome is the right combination, but what about the dioptre?

Don
Don Silcock
Underwater Site: www.indopacificimages.com/
Travel Site: www.nomadicpixel.com/

#2 arcatus

arcatus

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

I decided to purchase the Sigma 17-70, despite already making a significant investment in the Nikon 17-55. I love the Nikon lens - it's really a quality piece of equipment, but it's close focus ability is limited and the extra range of the Sigma combined with it's close-up ability convinced me to buy it for use underwater as a general purpose "scouting" lens.

I very much doubt that the image quality will be close to the Nikon 17-55, but I intend to take some test shots this weekend with both lenses and will post the results next week some time.

I had a nice surprise when the Sigma lens arrived yesterday as the old zoom ring from my 18-35 film zoom fitted and have the lens, D200 nicely in my Subal housing. I now need to get the correct extension ring and see if I need a dioptre - hence this post.

Has anybody else got this lens working in a Subal housing yet? I believe that the 33mm EXR and FE dome is the right combination, but what about the dioptre?

Don

I can say that the Sigma 17-70 works great in a Nexus housing with the 170mm dome port and 40mm extension. It focuses close enough that no diopter is needed. I believe the Subal dome is about the same radius as the Nexus, so you should not need a diopter. I did not have any vignetting with the 40 mm extension, so the Subal dome and 33 mm extension should work for you.

Dave
Nikon D80
Nexus D80
Ikelite and S&S strobes

#3 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:UWP, Surf, Travel

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

I used behind an IkeĀ“s 8" dome and no diopter is needed, of course for corner sharpness a +2 diopter can do the trick.

#4 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:43 AM

Don, I did a test between 17-70vs17-55 and really liked the sigma:

@17mm complete pics and 100% cuts on corners and center at different apertures:

http://www.afotos.ne...mp;idusuario=71

@24:

@55:

D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:02 AM

Funny how even these are subjective, I really prefer the 17-55. Some shots it's really clearly better - like the CSM writing in the 24 comparison. Overall very similar though. Thanks for showing these
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 Don Silcock

Don Silcock

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for all the responses above - greatly appreciated!

Don
Don Silcock
Underwater Site: www.indopacificimages.com/
Travel Site: www.nomadicpixel.com/