Photo
- - - - -

WARNING BEWARE!!!!! (by a "Rolland Caceres")

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:54 AM

HI ALL,
Just a note to say when buying anything that requires you to TRUST
someone beware I have been conned by a pro photographer selling
a Nikon D200 on the Nikon website in the classified adds. He told me
how trust worthy he was & that as soon as the cheque cleared he would
despatch the camera, but he has not & now I can not contact him. :lol: :)
So I have to try & get my money back with the help of Trading standards
& the Police. BTW his name is Rolland Caceres.
SO PLEASE BEWARE YOU CAN NOT TRUST EVERYONE
Andy :wacko:

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8390 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:15 AM

Mr Google turned this up, Andy. Hope you get it sorted.

Caceres Rolland 10 Jollybeard Gate Alston, CA9 3TG, 07757 324264.
http://www.rollandcaceres.co.uk/

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:29 AM

HI Alex,
thanks for that, I have his address & have sent the first of the letters
of breach of contract & the police have also sent him a e-mail but they
can not do a great deal because the e-mails he sent sound as if he was willing
to send the camera, so its recorded delivery letters at the moment, which I have
been told a will be sending 4 in all, then the police should be able toget involved.
So I hope it can be sorted quickly.
Andy

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

HI Alex,
thanks for that, I have his address & have sent the first of the letters
of breach of contract & the police have also sent him a e-mail but they
can not do a great deal because the e-mails he sent sound as if he was willing
to send the camera, so its recorded delivery letters at the moment, which I have
been told a will be sending 4 in all, then the police should be able toget involved.
So I hope it can be sorted quickly.
Andy

Andy, very sorry to hear that.
I'm still amazed at how many people still send cash and bank transfers to internet crooks. A buddy of mine just did the same for a set of tires in Canada. Not available in the US and he wanted them bad for his land rover. I told him to pay via Paypal with his credit card, costs a few dollars more but at least there's someone to go to if there's something wrong. He sends a wire instead and 4 mths later...no tires.
Another reminder that there are plenty of people out there who will take advantage. I sold something via Wetpixel's classifieds and even though I'm a moderator blah blah... the guy still wanted a telephone number and addr and he was paying by Paypal too. I didn't blame him at all for it because I'm like that too.
Hope you get it all settled without too much pain.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:58 AM

Andy, sorry to hear about your troubles.

I'm still a big believer in UPS COD...old fashion but works...and with so many UPS stores around it's not that hard for people to find a location to ship items.

M.
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller

#6 kriptap

kriptap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:25 PM

Good luck but I think your screwed, you'll not see that again even with police help, if they help at all.

#7 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

I would 2nd the paypal advice. As a matter of fact if you go through their credit card they'll offer 100% protection against things like this... which is pretty cool.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#8 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

I recently bought an ikelite 20d housing from a fellow wetpixelite (jenkinsd). To be on the safe site, on my asking we used an escrow-service. That put the money at a 3th party, and only payd when I had a good look at the housing. If I were to disallow paying, I myself would only get the money back after i shipped it back. (I used moneybookers, and it was about 10-15 euros more)

Needless to say, i couldve saved that money because everything was fine, but i felt save anyway.

looks like this conner's website is now out of order.

PS: the COD is also a risk: you only get to open the box after you paid, and you could end up with one very expensive brick.

PPS: Andy, with the address in had can't you russle up a telephone number as well with BT ? Good luck anyway!

Gerard

Edited by Cerianthus, 15 February 2007 - 11:03 PM.

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#9 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:44 PM

Looks like that website is down now, but you can still see stuff in Googles Cache.

sales@rollandcaceres.co.uk

Good luck.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#10 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Photo Dude at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:10 AM

Domain name:
rollandcaceres.co.uk

Registrant:
Rolland Caceres

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
10 Jollybeard Gate
Alston
Alston
CA9 3TG
United Kingdom

Registrant's agent:
Dollamore Ltd t/a StreamlineNet [Tag = STREAMLINENET]
URL: http://www.streamline.net

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 09-Nov-2006
Renewal date: 09-Nov-2008

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ns1.streamlinedns.co.uk
ns2.streamlinedns.co.uk

I use streamline.net for my hosting, they are based in Derbyshire, UK - if the police get involved they may be able to get more details than the above.

Also, that village is in the middle of no-where, its going to be a close community. Maybe get the number of their local post office and ask for help / see if they know them. I just checked 192.com, no-one of that name at that address.

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio in an photographer owned / operated resort

#11 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

HI ALL,
Thankyou for your kind words, I will add that he had a PayPal account (so do I)
& asked if it would be easer to use this method but I got no response to, it also
looks as if he is disappearing his website is down & he can not be traced to his
address, but the address is a different company, went to see the police again today
to see if things can be speeded up. I will do as much as possible to stop this RAT
doing a vanishing trick.
Thanks again
Andy :lol: :)

Andy Barker

#12 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:53 AM

Andy

Try HIS local trading standards - they may already have info or may be able to check on him. I'm pretty sure that cashing a cheque without intent to supply is classed as fraud in the UK - if so you might get the police involved earlier if the local trading standards can confirm he is not actually a pro photographer (assuming he has stated to you - or in the advert - somewhere that he is) as this would clearly indicate an attempt to defraud.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#13 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:19 PM

HI ALL,
Just a note to up date everyone the police phoned today, to let me know that
they have got the person responsible for this crime in custody & he will be charged
as he has owned up to this, also he has asked if I will accept a cheque for the full
amount. :( ;) So when he goes to court the sentence may not be so hard, but way the
Police came over he may be going to prison. I would say that he may be wanted for
other crimes. So it looks as if I will be getting my money back, which is great news
So well done the Cumbria Police.
Andy :) :excl: :o

Andy Barker

#14 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:39 PM

So well done the Cumbria Police.

That is great news that you will be getting the money back, real nice job by the police to track this down and make it happen.

#15 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

Wow -- I'm impressed that they managed to catch the guy so quickly.

I've found that police response depends on where you live. When I lived on Stanford campus and had something stolen, the Stanford police were responsive and caught the guy pretty quickly. But now, I live in Oakland. Unless there was a homicide, the local PD basically doesn't care!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#16 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:08 AM

Wow..

From internet theft to Homicide in one thread...Book him Danno...

Good result Andy..Well done U.K coppers.

Not on my watch...This is my f'ing manor my san.

I love it :)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#17 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:59 AM

HI All,
a note to say, today I recevied a cheque from the conman R .Caceres & banked it.
I also spoke to the Cumbria Police to tell them I had recevied it. But I was also told
his real name is Rolland White not Caceres & he is a chancer also unempolyed, he
brought himself a camera & called hinself a Pro Photographer set up a website. Well
I hope the cheque does not bounce, or that will be an other charge. But hopefully it
is now sorted.
Thanks For All Your Kind Words,
Andy -_- :( :)

Andy Barker

#18 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

HI All,
a note to say, today I recevied a cheque from the conman R .Caceres & banked it.
I also spoke to the Cumbria Police to tell them I had recevied it. But I was also told
his real name is Rolland White not Caceres & he is a chancer also unempolyed, he
brought himself a camera & called hinself a Pro Photographer set up a website. Well
I hope the cheque does not bounce, or that will be an other charge. But hopefully it
is now sorted.
Thanks For All Your Kind Words,
Andy -_- :( :)

Andy
Looks like you've got the best result possible under the circumstances; well done.
Do let us know when the cheque clears for our peace of minds!!!

#19 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Photo Dude at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:22 PM

I wonder if you would have got the same result had he lived in a less rural area.

I'm not from a big town, but the police here really don't care. I bet it was like an old episode of 'heartbeat' with a pc knocking on doors whilst travelling around the hills on his trusty old bike.

Seriously though, i'm sure we are all pleased, and somewhat amazed that things are working out. Do let us know when the cheque clears

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio in an photographer owned / operated resort

#20 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:27 AM

Good job. I just got a call from an irate familly member of a women who paid me with a bad check 3 years ago. After years of wrangling with her, we passed it to the state atourney's office bad check division who after due process put a warrant out for her arrest. Last night they arrested her and threw her in the slammer when she was stopped for a speeding or something.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.