• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

So is the big silver thing on top the synch connector :P I'm having a blonde moment ... I thought it was the shutter button :)

#22 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:14 AM

The race is on for the P5000 housing!

Fantasea:

We wanted to update you and let you know that we are working very hard on the development of our new FP5000 housing and we are anticipating a release date some time in June.

Ikelite:

ETA will be June 15th for the #6182.50 housing.

#23 JackConnick

JackConnick

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

So is the big silver thing on top the synch connector :blink: I'm having a blonde moment ... I thought it was the shutter button :rolleyes:

For right now, there will be no hardwired sync on the Fantasea housing. Write Howard and tell him you want it. I do.

Jack
Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#24 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

For right now, there will be no hardwired sync on the Fantasea housing. Write Howard and tell him you want it. I do.

Jack

We also heard from Fantasea that the threaded lens mount will not be on the first batch of housings :rolleyes: :blink:

Edited by Lndr, 09 May 2007 - 01:51 PM.

#25 JackConnick

JackConnick

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:58 PM

We also heard from Fantasea that the threaded lens mount will not be on the first batch of housings :rolleyes: :blink:

There may be an adapter ring that will work, but I won't know until I see it. I will hopefully be getting a prototype to show at the Long Beach Scuba Show on June 2-3rd. Then I'll also have a chance to dive it.

Jack
Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#26 Hman

Hman

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:26 AM

Hi Jack,
We are dive testing the FP5000 this week and you will definitely have a sample to show off at the Long Beach show (booth 737)
Also, the first run may have the 46mm thread for Red Filters and Wide Angle Lenses. In any respect we will have a special adaptor to allow this housing to work with our Accessory lenses and Filters.

See all new products here http://www.fantasea....a_customers.pdf

Howard
Fantasea Line

There may be an adapter ring that will work, but I won't know until I see it. I will hopefully be getting a prototype to show at the Long Beach Scuba Show on June 2-3rd. Then I'll also have a chance to dive it.

Jack

#27 jugglematt

jugglematt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:33 AM

what i would love to see is the option of the 67mm thread on the fantasea housing .

to allow the use of all the of inon macro stackable , and there dome wet lenses.

i would also consider the ike housing if they could just make it a bit less like a brick and a bit more ergonomic

sync on either housing would be nice

i have a p5000 at home just waiting for the best housing

regards
matt

#28 apete

apete

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:53 AM

As to whether it delivers on that promise depends on how - and what - you take pictures of. This is because the P5000, in common with most recent Coolpix models, has a serious issue with focus speed that makes it totally unsuitable for use in situations where quick reactions are essential. If you're taking landscapes you can live with waiting a second (or two if you're unlucky) for the camera to focus and take the picture, but snapping restless children (or in fact anything moving) is frustrating and ultimately a hit 'n' miss affair.
Anders Peterson - www.some_of_my_images.net
I have a business interest in some underwater imaging products.

#29 Hman

Hman

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

As to whether it delivers on that promise depends on how - and what - you take pictures of. This is because the P5000, in common with most recent Coolpix models, has a serious issue with focus speed that makes it totally unsuitable for use in situations where quick reactions are essential. If you're taking landscapes you can live with waiting a second (or two if you're unlucky) for the camera to focus and take the picture, but snapping restless children (or in fact anything moving) is frustrating and ultimately a hit 'n' miss affair.

Hi,
We just finished dive testing our new FP5000 Housing for the Coolpix P5000. The tests were done up to 50 meters / 170 ft. in the Red Sea. The camera and housing performed beautifully underwater. We used a Fiber Optic connection to our Nano Flash system.

I personally did not feel any problem with "focus delay" and got excellent images from the dives.

I will be happy to put some on our Gallery images over the weekend at www.fantasea.com

The FP5000 is due out mid June and will be in our booth at the Long Beach diving show.

Safe Diving
Howard
Fantasea Line

Attached Images

• DSCN0774_resize.jpg

#30 jugglematt

jugglematt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:06 AM

I will be happy to put some on our Gallery images over the weekend at www.fantasea.com

hi howard

i went looking for the gallery on you site and was not able to find it , could you please post a direct link or perhaps just post the pics here.

thanks

matt

#31 Hman

Hman

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:18 AM

Hi Matt,
My aplogies, was too busy this week, I will do my best to have it up on the site gallery next week.
Howard

hi howard

i went looking for the gallery on you site and was not able to find it , could you please post a direct link or perhaps just post the pics here.

thanks

matt

Attached Images

• NUDI_SHELI_resize.jpg

#32 Hman

Hman

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:30 AM

one more shot from the FP5000

Hi Matt,
My aplogies, was too busy this week, I will do my best to have it up on the site gallery next week.
Howard

Attached Images

• pipe__low.jpg

#33 Hman

Hman

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

Hi Matt,
I managed to post some images of the new Fantasea Line FP5000 housing on our website at
http://www.fantasea....y.asp?section=3

These are pictures taken of and with the FP5000 during our deep sea testing phase. Shots taken on a missle boat wreck in the Red Sea (Eilat, Israel)

The housing is due out mid June. Please follow our website www.fantasea.com for exact launch dates.
The prototype housing used for testing will be in the Fantasea Line booth at the Long Beach Scuba Show next weekend.

Best wishes
Howard
Fantasea Line

hi howard

thanks

matt

#34 jugglematt

jugglematt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:22 PM

hey guys

i just fount this information in ikelite website re the ike housing for the coolpix p5000

"Housing Specifications
........ Heavy-duty clear polycarbonate housing

........ Operates Safely to 200ft (80m)

........ Dimensions: 7 in Wide x 5 in High x 5 in Deep

........ Weight: 3.1 lbs (1.4 kg) above water with camera

........ Near neutrally buoyant in saltwater

........ Access to All Camera Functions

........ Glass Lens Port

........ Accepts 67mm Threaded Wide-Angle Lenses

........ iTTL Flash Exposure with Current DS Substrobes

........ Reliable Ikelite bulkhead connection

........ Compatible with Optional 3" dia. Color Filters

........ Single or Dual Tray & Handle Systems Available

Ikelite Housing #6182.50
( camera not included )

Proving that good things come in small packages, we present the new Ikelite compact digital housing for the Nikon Coolpix P5000 camera. This exciting new system combines creative control with point-and-shoot simplicity--without pushing airline weight restrictions!

Capture the underwater world with the same ease and accuracy as shooting above water. Camera controlled Nikon iTTL flash exposure assures optimum lighting in any setting underwater, restoring the vibrant colors otherwise filtered out by the water. By eliminating the "guesswork," you can focus on composing your shots and having fun! Simply attach a current model Ikelite DS Substrobe and start shooting.

The Coolpix P5000 and Ikelite Housing work equally well as a starter system or as a serious, compact alternative to a digital SLR system. Available manual camera controls, 10.0 megapixel resolution, and a wide variety of Ikelite accessories allow you to fully explore your creative possibilities."

rellease date mid june it will accept 67mm thread lenses.

just click on ikelites link for a look at the housing

wortha look

regards
matt

#35 alo100

alo100

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:53 AM

Shutter lag and slower focusing speed could be a concern, but I do like the functions provided by the camera.

http://www.dpreview....p5000/page4.asp

May not be ideal for fast moving critters capture, that's another draw back besides the RAW.

#36 jugglematt

jugglematt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:06 AM

hi all
just a bit of an update .

i purchaced the p5000 and went for the Ike housing, the time frame was very slim as i wanted the housing to go away on a trip to malaysia. i ended getting the housing through Reef photo who were very good in getting the camera to me . only thing that slowed the process was UPS shipping , 3 days from USA to Sydney and then another 3 days to travel 20km in sydney!.

i used the housing in the maldives and then in Layang Layang Malaysia. we were in Layang for a few days then we participated in their photo comp.

i was lucky enough to get a 3rd place in macro . now i have a nikon d40, a dive accom package in Mabul (near sipidan)12 month subscription to Asian divermagazine and a nautica watch! so im very happy

ill post a bit of a review of the housing camera combo later as im still in transit .

im quite happy with the set up ,,,,it took me a while to get the hang of it , but now i like it and i think it has the ability to get good images.

a big thanks to Layang Layang resort in Malaysia , great diving and great people .

more info and some pics in a day or so

regards

matt

#37 jugglematt

jugglematt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:33 AM

some wide shots taken with the p5000 ike housing ,inon uwl100 and dome attachment , inon d240 and inon d180layang_wide_low_res_2.jpg

Attached Images

• layang_wide_low_res_3.jpg
  • layang_wide_low_res.jpg