• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 davidrodkeller

davidrodkeller

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:53 PM

looking at the table above, say you expose the sun area correctly (exposure zone 1) and want to bring detail back to an area that was 4 stops underexposed. With the 12bit images you will have 256 levels available, with the 14bit image you will have 1024. The 14bit image will look better after post-processing, right?

Dirty data, whether it's the result of sensor blooming on the high end or underexposing on the low end remains the same. 14-bit processing just places a greater scrutiny (levels/gradation) on it. This is analogous to what happened when we used 10, 12 and 16 mp cameras with lenses designed when 4, 6 and 8 mp cameras were the hi-end. Suddenly what we once couldn't see now came into a sharp focus, and some of it we didn't like much. It changed how we shot and changed what lens we shot with. Example: 12-24mm nik behind a dome.

14-bit.......essentially, in the case of sunballs, it will heighten the evidence of fringing on the high end as well as the evidence of noise on the low end. Plus it will preclude using underexposure as a workaround for the same two issues.

Better processing will require cleaner capture data if the proportional distributions remain the same (Canon has not indicated they have changed). Sunballs or the popular workarounds when shooting sunballs do not deliver cleaner data. I cannot see how greater scrutiny on dirty data makes the image better. I can see how 14-bit and higher processing will make us shoot in a way that minimizes what we now consider acceptable. I can also see why it is better. I just don't believe it will make certain shoots improve without first being captured on a sensor with higher dr. Sunballs is one of those image types.

I won't bore anyone with further comments on this subject ;)
Thanks,
DRK

#42 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

Most of the lenses we've been using were designed for film cameras. I don't see what the lens resolution and distortions have to do with the discussion on dynamic range and sunballs.

Better dynamic range than what? Have you used a Canon 5D? As I mentioned earlier, I think the 5D images are limited by the 12-bit A/D. It would look better with more quantization levels at the dark end. Canon claims to have preserved that with the reduction in the size of the photosites. Of course this claim can't be verified until the cameras are out.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#43 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:43 PM

As I mention early, I think the 5D images are limited by the 12-bit A/D. It would look better with more quantization levels at the dark end. Canon claims to have preserved that with the reduction in the size of the photosites. Of course this claim can't be verified until the cameras are out.

If you check the photographic test results at 5D Dpreview you find that the noise levels bottom out at 1 bit level for low ISO. This strongly suggests that you are correct. For low ISO images, the camera is limited by the 12-bit ADC. Assuming that the 1DMarkIII is similar, it will benefit by the 14-bit ADC.

That being said, my 5D shows patterned noise in the shadows that its certainly not random. I don't know if I just got a bad copy, but I have seen other comments to this effect on various forums. My guess is that it is probably due to some sort of pickup on the video amplifiers. It shows up as rows and columns that are lighter or darker than their neighbors. I think I am going to borrow a friend's 5D to do some comparative tests.

...STeve
www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/
Canon EOS 5D3, Aquatica Housing, Inon Z220+Z240 strobes, Sea&Sea TTL, ULCS Arms

#44 davidrodkeller

davidrodkeller

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:46 PM

Most of the lenses we've been using were designed for film cameras. I don't see what the lens resolution and distortions have to do with the discussion on dynamic range and sunballs.

;)
Thanks,
DRK

#45 stone

stone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:35 PM

Any vendors going to build a housing?

#46 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:51 PM

Did you notice the AF button on the camera back? 1880_mkiii_preview_01.jpg

The button to the right of the viewfinder is AF-on, This will achieve the same functuality as Custom Function 4-1, that is, removing AF from shutter release and applyng separately to that button. Very useful for many applications, not the least of which is shoooting the 100mm macro with combination of AF and MF or locking WA focus on a particular part of the frame without need of compose/shift.

Before MKIII it took several steps (buttons and dials) and reading small menu items to make the shift to CF-4-1. Now it is a single click from a dedicated button.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#47 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:19 AM

Where's the PRINT button? ;)
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#48 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:15 AM

And they've not included an auto-composition feature either.....
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#49 divedeepbaby

divedeepbaby

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Photographer, Shooting anything both above and below the water, Riding my FJR1300 and any adventurous activity I can get involved with.<br /><br />Facebook contact is www.facebook.com/terence.w.moore

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

Hi guys,

I have seen a lot of the information and tech specs online in the recent months. So some of the discussions above are nothing new to me. But to say that I was eagerly waiting for the Mark III release is an understatement... Like Pavlovs Dog I am drooling puddles big enough to dive in to get my hands on it and get it underwater. Any improvements on a Pro Camera will have some chasing that extra edge in producing an image that captures your imagination and to ask yourself... How did he/She do that!. Now if I can only buy one :D

Cheers!

Terry Moore
www.liquidmotionproductions.com
Terry Moore NREMT-Paramedic
www.TerryMooreImages.com
Canon 1Ds Mark III, Canon 14mm f2.8 L USM, 100mm f.28 L IS USM, 16-35mm f2.8 II L USM, 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM - Aquatica 1Ds housing with Aqua View, Remote trigger, 9.25" Mega Dome and twin Ds-160 Ikelite strobes on TLC arms

#50 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:51 AM

The lens does look interesting. Disappointing that it's designed with an 82mm filter thread. That means a new set of filters ...

I am still waiting on my Heliopan circular polarizer for this lens.
Just picked up a Heliopan UV filter but had to wait almost three weeks for it.
Now on my 5th week for the polarizer....

I'm in India and hope to test drive the lens topside tomorrow.

BTW, zoom gears are all new too and the lens is so seriously back-ordered some manufacturers can't even get hold of one to measure. I made a DIY gear in the meantime.
---------------
Mark

#51 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

I got to try out the 1DmkIII the other day. It's a big improvement in ergonomics over the MkII. When I switched from Nikon this was one of my biggest gripes - why do I have to hold down two buttons and turn a dial to change the ISO? Now there is a single ISO button and you can press and release it, then change the dial. Yeah! Many of the other buttons are press and release now.

Also, the MkIII also has a small joystick controller now. You can't use it underwater (and don't need to) but it's probably nice for above water use.

The weight is considerably less and the big LCD is a dream.

James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#52 brandoncole

brandoncole

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

I have a mkIII and am currently in Alaska photographing humpback whales- above water only. This new camera is indeed a great improvement in ergonomics, as James stated. I've owned all 1 series digitals since the beginning and it is the easiest, fastest, to handle. No more "button gymnastics". Thank goodness.

Amazingly fast motor drive, of course. Image quality looks pretty good so far. I don't know if I agree with some of the web gurus stating that "on a pixel by pixel basis it's the finest DSLR ever" but time will tell. It's a totally different machine than the 1ds mk2, so IMO impossible to compare. I just wish this thing had more pixels.

One gripe- very, very hard to read the histogram (meaning difficult to determine where the boundaries are), because the background color is very dark, just like the background of the LCD... So it's a pain to know how close to the edges your data is...

brandon cole

#53 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:24 AM

Subal has confirmed they are housing this, and there is something on Nexus' Japanese site about a housing too.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#54 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

Subal has confirmed they are housing this, and there is something on Nexus' Japanese site about a housing too.

Seacam too, of course. Hopefully by DEMA, as Harald has already begun work on the housing, but no confirmations on delivery schedule from Austria yet.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#55 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:18 PM

This 1.3x camera does not have a 180ΒΊ fisheye, does it?
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#56 giftie

giftie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:42 AM

Anyone confirmed the focusing glitches reported on Rob Galbraith ?
Jorge Santos
Aquatica D200/Twin DS-125/Hart 250HS/SB-800/10.5DX/12-24DX/17-55DX/105/60/ULCS
Web Gallery

#57 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:48 AM

Still praying and waiting for the 5D replacement. Hoping my wait is rewarded by some of these features making their way into it, like the 14 bit.

I like the 5D price tag better unless I can justify to the wife I will sell more images with the new camera. :)

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted © Todd C Mintz

#58 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:50 AM

The focusing problem affects AI-Servo shooting. Not something I use a lot underwater. I do use it sometimes though.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#59 dmoss

dmoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:40 AM

Appears Canon is addressing the focus issue....at least the AI Servo issue.
Letter that Canon Service Center is apparantly including with returns. Found this on a website:

Some Canon 1D Mark III owners are reporting that Canon Service Centers are installing firmware v1.0.9 on their DSLRs. Following is the text of the letter that is suposedly returned with the updated cameras ...

EOS-1D Mark III Firmware Update, Version 1.0.9

Dear Canon Customer;

We have updated the firmware in your camera to the latest version (Version 1.0.9). This firmware update incorporates the following improvements and fixes:

1. Improves the look of images when enlarged on the LCD monitor. Applies a slightly stronger sharpness setting to the LCD monitor when images are enlarged.

2. Counter measures for Main Dial response errors (Main, Quick Control, Vertical-grip Main). Fixes a rare response error in the Main Dials in which they either did not respond when rotated or would change several clicks' worth even if only clicked once.

3. Improves the consistency of AI Servo AF under certain conditions. Reduces the tendency of the camera to autofocus on high-contrast backgrounds when shooting in conditions where AF detection is difficult, such as when the main subject is not completely covered by the AF frames or if the main subject's contrast is low.

4. Corrects errors in the Italian and Simplified Chinese menu screens.

Please note that this Version 1.0.9 firmware will be made available for download from the Web at the end of July. However you will not need to take any action as your camera has already been updated.

Thank you for your understanding.

Edited by dmoss, 24 July 2007 - 05:57 AM.

David
Canon 5D, Ikelite

My Flickr Photos

#60 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

Rob Galbraith does not believe that the firmware 1.0.9 fixes the autofocus problem :-(
Dual Ikelite Strobes