• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Reefwreck

Reefwreck

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:51 AM

I'd be grateful for some help in identifying these two crabs from the Tulamben area, Bali. The images were taken last weekend. Thanks!
Michael.

Crab 1, in a Featherstar, depth approx. 20 metres.
Posted Image

Crab 2, on soft coral, depth approx. 25 metres.
Posted Image
Nikon D200, Micro-Nikkor 70-180mm with Nikon 6T Close-up lens, NEXUS Housing, Inon Z-220 and Z-240, Sea&Sea TTL Converter

BLOG

http://allenhost.com/gallery/reefwreck

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:19 AM

There's a photo of your second one in Coral Reef Animals of the Indo Pacific, but it is simply called an Unidentified Porcelain crab. I haven't been able to find the other one in my references; sorry.
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

The first one is a Quadrella species, maybe coronata or boopsis. They look alike and I can't tell the difference from photographs. What's odd is that this genus, like all trapeziid crabs, is commensal on hard & soft corals but your specimen is sitting on a crinoid. Was it moved?

Marli's close but this is different from the image she mentioned. The colors are roughly the same but the patterns are quite different. The one in CRA has much more purple on the legs & alternating purple & orange lines on the carapace; it's always found on the same pinkish sponge judging by the pictures I've seen of it. Yours only has purple on the legs, big claws, and anterior margin of the carapace while the orange on the carapace is in spots. I haven't been able to find a picture or name of this one, sorry. Maybe Art will wander by and recognize it.

#4 Reefwreck

Reefwreck

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:39 PM

The first one is a Quadrella species, maybe coronata or boopsis. They look alike and I can't tell the difference from photographs. What's odd is that this genus, like all trapeziid crabs, is commensal on hard & soft corals but your specimen is sitting on a crinoid. Was it moved?

Marli's close but this is different from the image she mentioned. The colors are roughly the same but the patterns are quite different. The one in CRA has much more purple on the legs & alternating purple & orange lines on the carapace; it's always found on the same pinkish sponge judging by the pictures I've seen of it. Yours only has purple on the legs, big claws, and anterior margin of the carapace while the orange on the carapace is in spots. I haven't been able to find a picture or name of this one, sorry. Maybe Art will wander by and recognize it.

Thanks for your efforts, Marli and Leslie. Much appreciated.

To answer your question Leslie, these were photographed where found. Why anyone would move one of these to a crinoid is beyond me. I can't recall whether or not the crinoid had possibly attached itself to some coral. If it did, is it possible the crab climbed in to investigate?

Any other ID input would be much appreciated.
Michael.
Nikon D200, Micro-Nikkor 70-180mm with Nikon 6T Close-up lens, NEXUS Housing, Inon Z-220 and Z-240, Sea&Sea TTL Converter

BLOG

http://allenhost.com/gallery/reefwreck

#5 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:13 PM

Well, the crab could have been wandering or perhaps another photographer moved it to get better contrast. These pale Quadrella species on equally pale hosts can be pretty hard to see.

#6 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:05 AM

Marli's close but this is different from the image she mentioned. The colors are roughly the same but the patterns are quite different. The one in CRA has much more purple on the legs & alternating purple & orange lines on the carapace; it's always found on the same pinkish sponge judging by the pictures I've seen of it.

Oh dear, I'll have to contradict Leslie. :)
Next page, #828. Spots, no stripes in sight, and on soft coral.
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#7 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

:) :excl: :o
You're absolutely right and I'm a perfect ass for not looking past critter #827. The extent of pigment can vary so #828 and Michael's crab could well be the same species. Thanks!

#8 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

There's another photo of this guy on Graham's website:
http://www.diving4im.../perry_kuo.html
Can't link to the specific image but it's in the middle of the page.
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com