#1 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

Well, no D3, just yet another entry level SLR from Nikon, the D40x:

http://press.nikonus...e_d40x_a_ne.php

Essentially a D40 with the D80/200 sensor (10.2 MP). Good news for those who bought D40 housings I guess...

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#2 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:25 PM

Has it been around long enough to have housings? A quick check of the Ikelite site show an availability date of March, and they are usually the quickest.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#3 DuikKees

DuikKees

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:39 PM

A D70sx would I have appreciated a lot more.....

#4 tkr

tkr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:23 AM

Wow, that was a quick upgrade - so the 10Mp sensor has now migrated down from the D200 to all models.

#5 CeeDave

CeeDave

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Underwater, especially large animals<br />Landscape, especially wetlands

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:20 AM

A D70sx would I have appreciated a lot more.....

Boy, howdy, I sure agree with that! Maybe there's more concern about such a camera competing against the D80 and D200, is all I can guess.

Chris in Red Stick
Chris White
Subal ND70 + 2X DS125 ... mostly 10.5, 16, and 60

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:27 AM

The D40 won't AF with most of the lenses we use underwater - so it isn't really a serious contender beneath the waves.

Plus (and probably as a result) it has very few housing options.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:20 PM

As far as I'm concerned, this camera is for people that buy it with an 18-135 or 18-200, take some pics of their kids' football game then stick it on a shelf until they go on vacation where they stroll around dangling it off their neck taking the same pics one could take with a $300 p&s that fits in their pocket. *breath*

They will set it on full automatic and never really appreciate what modern DSLRs can do. Unfortunately this seems to represent a growing share of the DSLR market.

Anyone with any sense would save for a D80 over this camera any day. It has only 3 focus areas and only works with AFS lenses! No application in UW photography IMO.

Nikon should instead be spending their time getting that D3 line out and maybe some new lenses! (ones that aren't consumer level variable aperture superzooms!)

my "I'm feeling very cynical today" 2 cents

Chris

Edited by Undertow, 06 March 2007 - 01:26 PM.

D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#8 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:21 PM

Amigos,

I'm a Canon shooter, and other than macro (which I'll bet a new 50-60mm model will be coming out soon) I see these Nikon lenses usable on this low cost 10MP camera.

Here's what the www.nikonusa.com web site lists:

DX Nikkor Lenses for DX Format Digital SLRs
10.5mm f/2.8G ED AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor
12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor
18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor - NEW!
18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor - NEW!

Vibration Reduction (VR) Lenses
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor
300mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor
24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED AF VR Zoom-Nikkor
200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor

The 10.5mm and older 16mm are the two most disappointing lenses not usable for UW shooters. But who knows if they won't come out with an AFS version of the 16mm soon.

I tried a Nikon D40 in a store, and despite only 3 area AF sensors it was pretty damn fast! In dim light, too....

We all keep forgetting camera mfrs. don't give a hoot about our little niche, specialized image making market.

Maybe a bunch of you UW Mikon shooters should email Nikon and ask about new wide angle and macro AFS lenses (?????)

Me, I'm staying with my Canons -_-

dhaas

P.S. - I wonder if third partyy lens mfrs. will soon have new models to work with this camera?
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#9 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:15 AM

Dave,

The camera does not have a drive motor for AF - so only AF-S lenses will work on the D40.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#10 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:39 AM

I think this camera could have place in underwater imaging - especially with the kit lens 18-55.

While it may not suit those with more experience - it will certainly be a step up from the compact solutions that are currently available.

It will be interesting to see how well this camera is supported by the various manufacturers.

Simple housing , 1 bulkhead , simple flat port. My 2 cents.......

Edited by pmooney, 07 March 2007 - 05:00 AM.

#11 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:55 AM

Hey James,

Yeah, I know the D40 and D40x doesn't have a drive motor in it. Finally Nikon got around to getting smart and putting the motor in the lenses....There will be continual migration to this engineering from Nikon IMHO.

As far as UW use, many shooters on a budget will shop for a low cost capable dSLR, and pick lenses that can still deliver great images. Not everyone needs a 10.5mm or even a 105mm VR to make them happy shooting UW :wacko:

If someone absolutely NEEDS expensive glass, the 12-24mm and 17-55mm are AF-S lenses, right? Plus a low cost dSLR body means you can buy 2, or 3 or whatever.....

Too each his own!

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#12 UWPhotoTech

UWPhotoTech

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:14 AM

This may still be considered speculation but I believe Nikon is currently working on a 40mm AF-S lens to replace what the 60mm was on film. This will certainly be nice in restoring that angle of coverage!

The D40 is a nice camera for beginners, most people who buy it will not want to spend $3k on a housing system on top of the camera and lenses, so inexpensive support is the key. This will give avid amatuers more spending room on the whole picture and not just a $2500 housing body! Nikon is slowly building a larger AF-S colection and I imagine this is where the future will go.

:wacko:
Underwater Photo-Tech, Derry, NH
Phone: 603-432-1997, Web: www.uwphoto.com

#13 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:22 AM

The idea of having a 35/40mm AF-S Micro Nikkor would be great. 60/105 are a tad to long when you want to shoot something like a grouper and have more than a "head shot" with crisp details in average viz.

Pentax recently came out with 35mm macro lens. The smc PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited

I personnally use the Nikkor 35mm f/2.0 as a "quasi" macro lens for fish portraits.

Let's pray!!!!

Michel
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#14 alo100

alo100

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:31 AM

Sorry to bring back the old tread, I read something interesting and wanted to share a bit.
About the D40x, yes, low end model, no build-in motor etc.

But, the story may not be as one-sided.
1st, it's cheap, including the kit-lens, it costs lower than $800... yes, we may need a AF-S 60mm later...
but Nikon is driving these kinds of cameras in the future, not too worry.

Please refer to this report
http://www.pbase.com...rease/noisetest

Let's do some high light for the report....
The result of the report is, at dim env (pls refer to the report about the range of iso numbers being selected), which is particularly imporant for UW photography, the new cameras are delievering better image quality (noise, dynamic range) than the old ones, e.g. D40x is doing better than D40 (D40x > D40), better than D50 (D40x > D40 > D50)... and so on, including D80, D200, D1x, D2x, D1H, D2x, D2H....
i.e. D40x > D40 > D50 > D80 > D200 ...

What do you think?

Edited by alo100, 19 April 2007 - 04:32 AM.

#15 AUTiger

AUTiger

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, photography, snow skiing, home theater equipment

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:39 AM

I wouldn't buy a dSLR and housing now and hope that Nikon will get around to releasing a 60mm AF-S macro lense later. That takes more faith than I have. You could use the Nikon 105, but its harder to use and cost twice as much, besides being good only for really clear water. For wide angle, you have the Nikon 12-24 but it cost $900. You can't use the Tokina 12-24 because it is not AF-S. You might consider the Nikon 17-55/f2.8, but its $1200. People have been talking about the Sigma 17-70 (only $400), but its not AF-S. The Nikon 18-55 and 18-70 are tolerable but not particularly appropriate.

In the end, your might get a marginally better sensor, and you'll save a couple hundred on the body, but you'll pay MUCH more to get the glass that you need - or you'll have to give up auto-focus. I think buying the D40x is what my mom would call "penny wise and pound foolish".

David

Sorry to bring back the old tread, I read something interesting and wanted to share a bit.
About the D40x, yes, low end model, no build-in motor etc.

But, the story may not be as one-sided.
1st, it's cheap, including the kit-lens, it costs lower than $800... yes, we may need a AF-S 60mm later...
but Nikon is driving these kinds of cameras in the future, not too worry.

Please refer to this report
http://www.pbase.com...rease/noisetest

Let's do some high light for the report....
The result of the report is, at dim env (pls refer to the report about the range of iso numbers being selected), which is particularly imporant for UW photography, the new cameras are delievering better image quality (noise, dynamic range) than the old ones, e.g. D40x is doing better than D40 (D40x > D40), better than D50 (D40x > D40 > D50)... and so on, including D80, D200, D1x, D2x, D1H, D2x, D2H....
i.e. D40x > D40 > D50 > D80 > D200 ...
What do you think?

#16 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1251 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

I agree that the lack of a 60mm AIS macro is what's holding up this great little camera. I do have to think that with Nikon making a commitment to this type of camera replacing higher-end digicams, that more lenses are forthcoming. Sigma HSM lenses will work, btw, so if Nikon doesn't perhaps a third-party will.

Lots of W/A options, mid-range zooms.

Fantasea will have it's D40/40x housing out in 3-4 weeks, list is $1099, including a standard port that supports a few lenses. So a $2k 10MP system is obtainable (ok, without strobes :wacko: ).

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#17 alo100

alo100

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:17 PM

Maybe I shouldn't be too sure about the AF-S fixed focal length and macro, eh?
It might be Nikon strategy to restrict the lens available for the low end models, esp
when we see that the low end models now can have some 'marginal' adv with
the new sensors.
Mid, and low end models are supposed to change faster comparing to the high
end models and therefore we are going to see this happen again.

Do the 3rd parties have to gain permissions from Nikon?

From another point of view, D40x is competiting with 400D, if people like 400D
because it has more selection of lens...

Hope that Nikon or 3rd parties would add a few good lens.

#18 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2296 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

This camera is REALLY small. Also it gets good reviews for it's image quality. I've been thinking of getting one as an on land backup for my D2X. It would be a very nice backpacking or kayaking camera with the 18-200. Not much bigger than a consumer digicam; but much better image quality. It will fit in a small bag.

A 40 mm AF-S micro? Put me on the list. Hopefully with VR.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#19 AUTiger

AUTiger

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, photography, snow skiing, home theater equipment

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

I second that thought about it being really small. That makes it a good backup. As a primary for me, its too small. I thought the Canon 300/350/400 had too small of a grip. The D40(x) has a similarly small grip and is shorter such that my pinky doesn't have anywhere to go. I like the D80 grip best (which is what I have). For underwater, the size difference between the D40 and a larger camera won't make the system much smaller, overall, although it does help. Once you add arms, strobes, and maybe an 8" dome, you probably won't notice the size difference as much. You also probably won't notice the cost savings as much - once you have bought all of the other components of a complete kit.

David

This camera is REALLY small. Also it gets good reviews for it's image quality. I've been thinking of getting one as an on land backup for my D2X. It would be a very nice backpacking or kayaking camera with the 18-200. Not much bigger than a consumer digicam; but much better image quality. It will fit in a small bag.

A 40 mm AF-S micro? Put me on the list. Hopefully with VR.

#20 alo100

alo100

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:40 AM

Amigos,

I'm a Canon shooter, and other than macro (which I'll bet a new 50-60mm model will be coming out soon) I see these Nikon lenses usable on this low cost 10MP camera.

Here's what the www.nikonusa.com web site lists:

DX Nikkor Lenses for DX Format Digital SLRs
10.5mm f/2.8G ED AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor
12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor
18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor - NEW!
18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor - NEW!

Vibration Reduction (VR) Lenses
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor
300mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor
24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED AF VR Zoom-Nikkor
200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor

The 10.5mm and older 16mm are the two most disappointing lenses not usable for UW shooters. But who knows if they won't come out with an AFS version of the 16mm soon.

I tried a Nikon D40 in a store, and despite only 3 area AF sensors it was pretty damn fast! In dim light, too....

We all keep forgetting camera mfrs. don't give a hoot about our little niche, specialized image making market.

Maybe a bunch of you UW Mikon shooters should email Nikon and ask about new wide angle and macro AFS lenses (?????)

Me, I'm staying with my Canons :wacko:

dhaas

P.S. - I wonder if third partyy lens mfrs. will soon have new models to work with this camera?

"The 10.5mm and older 16mm are the two most disappointing lenses not usable for UW shooters."

This is a AF lens instead of AF-S, may I ask, why is it on the list?

Edited by alo100, 22 April 2007 - 12:10 PM.