Photo
- - - - -

Dear Housing Manufacturer, my wishlist is ....

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

As Wetpixel continues to grow, more and more housing manufacturers are becoming strong supporters of this site. Even though they are lurking, they are listening. So all you wetpixel readers out there wanting certain features or certain cameras housed, let the manufacturers know what you want (in a nice and constructive way,please). Please note this is not a gripe thread but a constructive method of feedback to the manufacturing industry.
I will start with my most fervent wish as of right now:

A housing for the Canon XH series. As a manufacturer, Canon is very willing to work with manufacturers with support of their lanc connections. The images produced from this series is sharp and even the pans on HDV look better than the Sony. It is a very viable alternative to the Sony FX/Z/V1 series. It is also priced right between the Sony segment.
What's stronger about this camera is the fact that it is much more customizable imagewise than the Sony, giving the shooter more flexibility in getting the right shot on camera vs in post.

As for features, some sort of attachment hook or bracket to put weights or flotation on housings to balance the housings would be cool. One of the hardest things for many housings is to get the balance right once you put lights/monitors and other accessories on. Being able to strap weight on the bottom or put closed cell foam on top (Not the other way round folks!) would be a boon to housing users.

Happy wishing all!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:39 PM

Well why not have a tiny BCD for the housing that you can regulate the bouyancy for your housing that you want at any depth. :o

Just pop it in the water and if floats, get in and let the air out and away you go adjusting it during the dive. Extra long inflator hose runs to it. Get back to the surface and pump it back up again and hook it on the mermaid line as you get out :wacko:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:45 PM

Well why not have a tiny BCD for the housing that you can regulate the bouyancy for your housing that you want at any depth. :o

Just pop it in the water and if floats, get in and let the air out and away you go adjusting it during the dive. Extra long inflator hose runs to it. Get back to the surface and pump it back up again and hook it on the mermaid line as you get out :wacko:

Hi Wags,

I'm not sure that will work. The bouyancy will vary with depth so you need to constantly adjust it to keep it neutral. What could work is a balast tank. The volume in a balast tank stays the same. Problem with the balast tank is water moving around changing the weight distribution.

Peter
>>> Submerge Productions dedicated to technical diving

#4 Hawkfish

Hawkfish

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:02 AM

Lightweight, compact, simple to maintain, let me pack my camera inside it during travel, potentially use a removable tripod plate to mount the cam in the housing so I'm not always attaching/detaching plates when going from topside to underwater filming. How about a simple optic on the back that magnifies the viewfinder view as an alternative to an external monitor. It would be nice if it would also rinse out my wetsuit and hang it up after dives too.

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:01 AM

Funny, here I am trying to give members a chance to give serious feedback to manufacturers and I get three stooges. Sigh

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:52 AM

:wacko:

I wonder why they don't take us seriously.

A housing thats electronic..But if it fails some manual levers for back up...A thought.

Better button positions on the grips..They seem to be made for gloveless tropical divers. I wear 5mm.

More sturdy manual controls, especially the exposure levers. <_<

Definitely more lens options..Maybe dome ports for telephoto or conversion lenses.

Free / cheap rental for a week for try buyers..Or money back if purchased. I think L&M do this...

I'll try to think of more.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#7 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

A underwater remote control with the following features:

1. remote control of all electronic functions
2. small remote monitor
3. control of powered tripod
4. underwater plugable
5. minimum 5 meter cable

#8 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:22 AM

Cripes.. Remote this, remote that...

Why don't you just get somebody to do it for you :wacko: I'm cheap...Ish.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#9 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:24 AM

Cripes.. Remote this, remote that...

Why don't you just get somebody to do it for you :o I'm cheap...Ish.

Dive safe

DeanB

Naaah, you're going to scare away the fishies. :wacko: But with all these remote functions you can easily convert a housing to a sofisticated pole cam.

#10 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

Its a short answer to your prob...But therapy will get you over your fear of water. Try paddling first, then wading up to your waist..

:o :)

Were divers not skivers.

Dive safe...Or not at all for some :wacko: .

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#11 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:17 PM

Here are some thoughts i put into Easy to Do and Wishful Thinking Categories:

Easy to Do:
Manual Controls: I am a big advocate of electronic with manual back up. If you give me manual on Power, Record, and Zoom, I would be incredibly happy. That would require a button for record and zoom each and one side rocker lever for zoom.

Attachment Points: I agree with Drew, more attachment points for weights, etc is always nice.

Ext. Monitor: Super slim, high resolution monitor that can be positioned in differnt locations, articulated to dif angles and isn't bulky.

Wishful Thinking:
Better Lenses: Atomic is doing it with their masks, let's do it lenses. Someone create a super tough lens that actually improves light transfer to the sensor. I don't want to have to worry about inadvertant scratches, scuffs and spotting. I also want more light getting to my sensor.

UW Auto WB Technology: It would be super cool if a mfg. created an auto WB contraption that constantly evaluated the surrounding light and modified the cams WB settings in real time via the Lanc. A sensor would be located on the front of the housing next to the lens and would used some technology (lazer, UV, whatever) to measure the light and offset against daylight settings. The user could then adjust the settings on the WB thingy to get the desire look. The WB circuitry would be built into the housing elecronics.

I have lots more but will save for another day:)
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#12 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:12 PM

Manual Controls: I am a big advocate of electronic with manual back up. If you give me manual on Power, Record, and Zoom, I would be incredibly happy. That would require a button for record and zoom each and one side rocker lever for zoom.

With you on that Shawn, and may I add a manual focus knob to the list.

Ext. Monitor: Super slim, high resolution monitor that can be positioned in differnt locations, articulated to dif angles and isn't bulky.

Would be great if it was slim and could be folded down (towards user) to fit the housing into tight gaps.

#13 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

Yes Nick...a manual focus knob would be nice.

More colour options...Kelly likes Pink :wacko:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#14 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:25 AM

Its a short answer to your prob...But therapy will get you over your fear of water. Try paddling first, then wading up to your waist..

:o :)

Were divers not skivers.

Dive safe...Or not at all for some :wacko: .

DeanB

Can I sent you the invoice for a new screen? Mine is covered in coffee. :)

#15 Mini Dive

Mini Dive

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

On housing with electronic controls on both handles, I would like to see a button that would allow for toggling the control functions from one handle to the other and vise versa. And maybe even user assignable button functions. My left thumb doesn't work very well due to herniated discs, so I need to mostly rely on old righty.
Dive deep, play with sharks . . .

So long and thanks for all the fish . . .

#16 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Photo Dude at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

On housing with electronic controls on both handles, I would like to see a button that would allow for toggling the control functions from one handle to the other and vise versa. And maybe even user assignable button functions. My left thumb doesn't work very well due to herniated discs, so I need to mostly rely on old righty.

Light and Motion have switchable handles already, but it would be nice to be able to connect your housing to a usb port on your laptop and use a simple DOS based program to change button functionality

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio in an photographer owned / operated resort

#17 Mini Dive

Mini Dive

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

Light and Motion have switchable handles already, but it would be nice to be able to connect your housing to a usb port on your laptop and use a simple DOS based program to change button functionality

Thanks, up until now this was all I was able to read from their website -

Unlike mechanical solutions, Smart Grip Handles put the main controls right at your fingertips. Need to shoot left handed while bracing with right hand? No problem. The left handle can be user programed to control record, zoom, and momentary focus.

So I thought transfer could only be switched to the left. Thanks to your post, I went back to check. I was finally able to open the link within (after trying for over a month) where I was able to read -

Smart Grips are also switchable left to right, giving you redundant control if needed. This also gives you the option of shooting right or left handed.

So I guess that would work for me. Hopefully the other manufactures will follow.

Edited by divedude, 09 March 2007 - 06:45 PM.

Dive deep, play with sharks . . .

So long and thanks for all the fish . . .

#18 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Photo Dude at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

Thanks, up until now this was all I was able to read from their website -

So I guess that would work for me. Hopefully the other manufactures will follow.

You can do it in your dive, from memory you hold down one buttong for 2 seconds, and it switches them, and the same to switch back.

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio in an photographer owned / operated resort

#19 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:07 PM

I think the main reason they did it was to give you full functionality (with a delay) when the batteries in one of your grips run flat.

I would also like access to at least one assign button on cameras such as the Z1 so I can run in AE override mode when I want to.

#20 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

DOS? What's that? I didn't see it in either XP or Vista...j/k. What about MAC users?
And if you did do that, how would you change the button labeling? If you reassign them and then forget what you reassigned them to, it could be interesting u/w...