6 replies to this topic

#1 l.babcock

l.babcock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:caves, Deep shipwrecks and,reefs

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:11 AM

Thanks to everyone who helped me decide between the d200 and the d80, i felt the d80 was the better choice dollar for dollar. Now i need some help on what settings to use for underwater use

Edited by l.babcock, 20 March 2007 - 04:12 AM.

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:23 AM

Unfortunately there is no definitive answer to such a question.

Lighting conditions change with depth and available natural light, both of these affect your choice of shutter speed greatly.

Fstop is a product of how far you are from your subject (strobe to subject distance) and how powerful your strobes are.

Best thing is to learn how your light meter works.

Compose your photo and then set your fstop according to the chart that your strobe comes with ie: what fstop to choose from how far you are from your subject and what setting you have your strobe on (i suggest 1/2 power)

Once you set your fstop then aim in the direction you are going to shoot and use the meter and set somewhere between -1 and -1/2 by changing your shutter speed. Make sure there is nothing between you and the background blue water. THis will set your background blues.

Then check your strobes are pointed in the right direction and take a shot. Check it on the screen and utilize the histogram for double checking.

I would suggest ISO 100 in bright conditions and 200 in not so bright conditions.
Also, always use raw so you can make WB and other small adjustments in post and leave other settings on default or off. I personally like to use cloudy WB in most situations as it gives a more consistent result of colours than leaving it on auto WB

Hope that helps

M

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:31 AM

Veitch-sensei... now what about macro settings...

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#4 Peter Schulz

Peter Schulz

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:59 AM

These work for me for the D70.

http://www.splashdow...ettings_d70.htm
Nikon D70 with Nikkor 10.5, 18-70, 60mm & Sigma 15mm lenses in Ikelite housing with 2 Ikelite DS 125s.
Website Gallery

#5 l.babcock

l.babcock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:53 AM

Thanks guys, the settings I was talking about are these , they are a little different then what my D70 has

ISO Sensitivity
AF Area Mode
Center AF Area Mode
AF-Asist
Long Exp. NR
High ISO NR

Edited by l.babcock, 20 March 2007 - 05:56 AM.

#6 l.babcock

l.babcock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:02 AM

Thanks Mike, that was very helpfull, I have a lot to learn, I have not figured out how the light meter works, I have Ikelite housing with two DS125 strobes, how good does the TTL work with this housing, and do I set the camera on auto or manual. and do i set the strobes on TTL, just not sure how the light meter works with all this.

Larry

Unfortunately there is no definitive answer to such a question.

Lighting conditions change with depth and available natural light, both of these affect your choice of shutter speed greatly.

Fstop is a product of how far you are from your subject (strobe to subject distance) and how powerful your strobes are.

Best thing is to learn how your light meter works.

Compose your photo and then set your fstop according to the chart that your strobe comes with ie: what fstop to choose from how far you are from your subject and what setting you have your strobe on (i suggest 1/2 power)

Once you set your fstop then aim in the direction you are going to shoot and use the meter and set somewhere between -1 and -1/2 by changing your shutter speed. Make sure there is nothing between you and the background blue water. THis will set your background blues.

Then check your strobes are pointed in the right direction and take a shot. Check it on the screen and utilize the histogram for double checking.

I would suggest ISO 100 in bright conditions and 200 in not so bright conditions.
Also, always use raw so you can make WB and other small adjustments in post and leave other settings on default or off. I personally like to use cloudy WB in most situations as it gives a more consistent result of colours than leaving it on auto WB

Hope that helps

M

#7 l.babcock

l.babcock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

Thanks Peter, I use your settings on my D70 and it works great.

Larry