#1 PeterRowlands

PeterRowlands

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:32 AM

Hi all
Just in case anyone is wondering, or has asked you, why the Underwater Photography magazine website is down, it's because my service provider pulled the plug on me as we were generating too much bandwidth. They want me to move to a dedicated server which will cost a lot, lot more. There's a full explanation at www.uwpmag.co.uk
I'm looking into an economic solution and will keep you posted of any progress.
Regards
Peter Rowlands
Peter Rowlands UwP Mag - Magic Filters - Magic Charters
Sony A1 camcorder in a Seatools housing & Nauticam Panasonic GH2 with 8mm fisheye

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:48 AM

Peter,
How much bandwidth is too much? Knowing how much you use would make it easier to suggest a solution.
Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 PeterRowlands

PeterRowlands

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:09 AM

Hi Alex
I'm not 100% au fait with stats numbering but it looks like 80-100gig in the month a new issue comes out and about 30-40gig the following month.
Best wishes
Peter Rowlands
Sony A1 camcorder in a Seatools housing & Nauticam Panasonic GH2 with 8mm fisheye

#4 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hi Peter,

Powweb hosting company allows for 100gig per day (3000gig per month) of transfer and costs about US$ 100 per year ($140 for the first two years). I used them for 2 years and had absolutely no problems.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#5 3@5

3@5

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hi Alex
I'm not 100% au fait with stats numbering but it looks like 80-100gig in the month a new issue comes out and about 30-40gig the following month.
Best wishes
Peter Rowlands

Hey Peter,
Not sure what other requirements you have in terms of a web site but these guys offer300 gig of disk space and 3000 gigs a month of data transfer for a very very reasonable price:
http://www.powweb.co...web/hosting.bml
note: i don't work for them nor am i associated with them apart from being a customer of theirs that's all.
fwiw :)/paul

edit : oops beaten by luiz :rolleyes:

Edited by 3@5, 05 April 2007 - 10:15 AM.

Paul Papadopoulos
canon 1dmkII + seacam silver + inon z220
My Webpage

#6 PeterRowlands

PeterRowlands

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

Hi Luiz and Paul
Thanks for the link. It looks very promising. I'll follow it up and will keep you posted
Best regards
Peter Rowlands

#7 scubamargie

scubamargie

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:16 PM

Hi Peter

Check out servage.net. My partner and I have used this host for a couple of years now and we would recommend them to anyone. We have multiple sites running with them and haven't had any problems while using them.

You get 310gb space and 3000gb per month bandwidth plus other stuff and it is cheap.

Use this link when you sign up and you will get extras, so do we.

http://www.servage.n...oupon=cust11420

Edited by scubamargie, 06 April 2007 - 11:18 PM.

#8 PeterRowlands

PeterRowlands

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:09 AM

Thanks scubamargie
I've e mailed them and will let you know how I get on
Regards
Peter Rowlands

#9 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

Peter -- be sure to read the fine print. Many of those cheap web hosts reserve the right to cancel you at any time. Users that start using a lot of CPU or bandwidth are at risk!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#10 PeterRowlands

PeterRowlands

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

Peter -- be sure to read the fine print. Many of those cheap web hosts reserve the right to cancel you at any time. Users that start using a lot of CPU or bandwidth are at risk!

Hi Eric
That's exactly what my host did to me (and refund either). They won't even let me put up a home page to explain what's happening. Needless to say I'm looking for a new host for UwP and you're absolutely right about the small print! The sales dept say "There's no limit" The fine print is not quite as generous!
I'll keep you posted
Regards
Peter Rowlands

#11 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:47 PM

A hosting company that just shuts you off without any advance warning and no way to continue your site/business in even a toned down version has no place in this day and age. Im also really amazed that they would do this for a mere 100GB/month. Thats nothing, a trifle, at least for any serious hosting company.

The problem is usually not the traffic. If we ever have issues with a customer (very rare) it's because their site is resource-hungry in other ways. Memory, CPU, disk, whatever. For products where a customer has to share their site with dozens or even hundreds of others, you cant have 1 site hogging a server. In most cases this could easily be solved with better programming of the site.

If it's really a question of traffic, maybe you can split the hosting of the PDFs away from the regular site.

Hope you get this solved,

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#12 WetA70

WetA70

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hi all
Just in case anyone is wondering, or has asked you, why the Underwater Photography magazine website is down, it's because my service provider pulled the plug on me as we were generating too much bandwidth. They want me to move to a dedicated server which will cost a lot, lot more. There's a full explanation at www.uwpmag.co.uk
I'm looking into an economic solution and will keep you posted of any progress.
Regards
Peter Rowlands

Thanks for the info, I was about to ask.

Could this bandwith issue be related to the problems I had downloading the last issues on my slow connection (44 kbits/s) :_( ?

It may took me one hour to download a 4 to 6 MB issue and three times out of four it's incomplete, so I had to restart again because the PDF file corrupt! It's quite frustrating but I'm so much eager to read each issue that's it's just an inconvinience.

Keep up your good work

Clement

#13 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:12 PM

Peter -- i know tracking is important, but have you considered publishing using torrents? That way, people can all help get the issues out...
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#14 PeterRowlands

PeterRowlands

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:43 PM

Peter -- i know tracking is important, but have you considered publishing using torrents? That way, people can all help get the issues out...

Hi Eric and Cor
As you know tracking is important as it quantifies the exact number of downloads which is useful information for potential advertisers. If I were an advertiser I would be detered if this information was not available.
I'm not really up to speed on a lot of web technology and am not sure what torrents are. Is it where several people have bits of the pdf file for downloading? I only had something like the latest six issues on www.uwpmag.com. The rest were downloadable from other websites of mine and didn't generate bandwidth problems.
Re the other hosts recomended (Servage and Powweb), I have e mailed their sales depts with the bandwidth requirements but have, as yet, not had any replies.
I'll keep you posted as to progress.
Best regards
Peter Rowlands

#15 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

I am not an expert either ..

.. but wouldnt an RSS fed torrent (torrent being just a method of download) be just as trackable as a download ?

Sites like google analytics and feedburner give statistics of subscribers to feeds. It is this sort of problem that torrenting was invented for is it not. Except on a larger scale.

It may even make the product easier to downlaod as you could subscribe in your torrent software to the feed, and when a new issue was brought out it would automatically start to download in the background. The tacking would count how many people are subscribed as well as how many visitors clicked to download once ... at least i think thats how it works.

However the bandwidth would only be saved if seeding happened .. which may not occur on the older issues, but should definately help on more recent ones which i imagine are the bandwidth pigs ?
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#16 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:57 AM

Hi Peter

I had the exact same problem with Heart Internet. They dropped my site and refused to refund me even though I was only 2 months into a 12 month contract for unlimited bandwidth use and for which I had paid in advance for the whole year. I've been rowing with them ever since.

Many cheap hosting companies have clauses in them to exclude any form of mass downloading which is a real pain for things like videos and your mag if it's downloaded as a file as they use so much bandwidth.

I switched to Dataflame (www.dataflame.co.uk) and so far I've had no problems with them at all, although they are not the cheapest around. They did suspend my account once, but that apparently was by accident and once notified they sorted it out.

Another option could be Wagsy? Part of his Aussie Empire includes web hosting. I'm sure he'd try to sort you out a good deal if you PM him :D

Cheers, Simon

#17 PeterRowlands

PeterRowlands

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:41 AM

Hi Simon
Sorry to hear you had a similar problem. The small print makes interesting reading. FYI here's the small print from www.servage.net
Some web hosts claim that they offer unlimited or unmetered bandwidth. Bandwidth and traffic cost money and tie up server resources, so if any host truly offered unlimited bandwidth at any price they would not be in business for very long. If you read their Terms of Service, you will find the following language or something similar:
"If at any time the Customer’s website generates enough bandwidth usage to affect the performance of other customer sites on the server, we reserve the full right to terminate the Customer’s domain name without refund."

I'll follow up on your other suggestions and keep you posted.
Regards
Peter Rowlands

[quote name='Giles' date='Apr 11 2007, 10:13 PM' post='125561']
I am not an expert either ..

Hi Giles

Blimey. You certainly sound like an expert to me! Most of that RSS stuff went clean over my head. I will however forward your info/suggestions to my friend who handles the tech side of the website.
Many thanks for your input
Regards
Peter Rowlands

#18 apete

apete

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:01 AM

I use

http://csoft.net/index.html.en

Haven't read the small print...
Anders Peterson - www.some_of_my_images.net
I have a business interest in some underwater imaging products.

#19 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

As the rest, I'm no expert but T1 rates have fallen dramatically over the last couple of years here in the US. I've heard of rates as low as $200 a month. I'm not sure what these sites charge to host but if it were me, I'd buy the hardware, lease a T1 and do it myself.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#20 gerardh

gerardh

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:40 PM

Hi Peter,

It's sad to see such a good read having such problems. I always enjoy the new editions... I suppose I'm partially to blame for the predicament then. Well, hopefully I can share part of the solution too then.

I think what Eric was alluding to earlier is a piece of web technoloy call BitTorrents (http://en.wikipedia....wiki/BitTorrent). Using BitTorrent you could effectively spread the cost of the reader-base of UwP's downloads over that same reader-base... the first few people would download the PDF off your site, then second batch off the first and so on and so on (I like to visualise it as some kind of virus spreading through different hosts).

Hope that can be of some use.
Good luck!

G

Edited by gerardh, 16 April 2007 - 01:41 PM.