#1 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hey Folks,
Been working on a new intro for my films. Worked on it the last couple of evenings. Input much appreciated.
Shawn

http://www.bluespher...ntroNew-Web.mov

(i would embed but no matter how i encode in compressor, comes out 4:3 :rolleyes: )
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#2 Brumpy

Brumpy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:26 AM

very nice!
I love it, not to long, the speeding and the editing on the sound like the hamerheads GREAT
GATES EX1 housing

Sony Z1
LMI Bluefin HD housing
Vanherck Underwater Imaging

#3 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:01 PM

(i would embed but no matter how i encode in compressor, comes out 4:3 :rolleyes: )

Shawn

Looks great, as some asides

Make sure in the Source Insert Tab for the preset you are setting the proper pixel aspect, if need use custom frame size in ratio of 720 x 404(5) - it is usually better to make you own preset (can look at the premade ones for a guide) to get what you are looking for - presets drive me batty

On the QT size also try this (adjust sizes and files as needed)

<OBJECT classid='clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B' codebase='http://www.apple.com...ex/qtplugin.cab' width="720" height="404" >
<param name='src' value="BlueSphereIntroNew-Web.mov" >
<param name='autoplay' value="true">
<param name='controller' value="true">
<param name='loop' value="false">
<EMBED src= "BlueSphereIntroNew-Web.mov" width="720" height="404" loop="false" autoplay="true"
controller="true" pluginspage='http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/'>
</EMBED>
</OBJECT>

HTH

Edited by TheRealDrew, 06 April 2007 - 01:03 PM.

#4 kriptap

kriptap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:32 PM

Very good, could be a commercial for the NGC!

#5 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

Looks great.
>>> Submerge Productions – dedicated to technical diving

#6 IMSushi

IMSushi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

That was fantastic! It looks very professional. I'm glad that someone here has that kind of talent to edit.

During the "Majestic" sequence, are the Manta's supposed to be fast forwarding? or is it just my player? I think it was a little distracting if on purpose. My very humble opinion.
Pat Crane
Nikon D80, S&S DX-D80, YS-110 x 2, TTL III, ULCS, 60mm, Tok 10-17, Sig 17-70
Back-up: Sony DSC-P10, Inon D2000

#7 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the nice words...sounds like you enjoyed it:)

Drew, I have locked down everything: Custom: Size: 720x360, Aspect: 16:9, Pixel: Square. These should force it to be exactly 16:9. I have toggled each of these individually with no success as well. Not sure what you wanted me to do with the code above? The settings look similar to mine though.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#8 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

that was pretty cool Shawn, nicely done

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#9 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

Thanks everyone for the nice words...sounds like you enjoyed it:)

Drew, I have locked down everything: Custom: Size: 720x360, Aspect: 16:9, Pixel: Square. These should force it to be exactly 16:9. I have toggled each of these individually with no success as well. Not sure what you wanted me to do with the code above? The settings look similar to mine though.

It should be 720 x 405 or (360 x 202), ratios along those lines when using HDV or variations, the 720 x 360 would be off - the code was to embed into a page, did not know if you needed it or not or perhaps the embed code you were using was off

#10 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

I am editing in AIC 1080i. So it is no longer 1440x1080 but 1920x1080. The corresponding (and default) 16:9 is 720:360. When I change to the any other value, it is distorted:( I'll keep working on ideas:)
www.bluespheremedia.com

#11 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

I am editing in AIC 1080i. So it is no longer 1440x1080 but 1920x1080. The corresponding (and default) 16:9 is 720:360. When I change to the any other value, it is distorted:( I'll keep working on ideas:)

On the Compressor side of things, just put in the sizes and then leave everything else unchanged to see if that helps with the 4:3 issue - a calculator for you also is here http://www.wideopend...calculator.html

I may be missing something, but what you have on your site is 640 x 360 which is a variation on the 720 x 404 ratio, H.264 encoded QT movie - try this code (copy and past into bbEdit or whatever text editor or web authoring app you use and save it, upload it to your directory http://www.bluespher...b-videos_files/ and it should work (just tested it and seemed okay to me and looked 16:9, though I am a bit tired and like I said may be missing something :rolleyes: )

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR...ml4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled</title>
</head>
<body>
<OBJECT classid='clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B' codebase='http://www.apple.com...ex/qtplugin.cab' width="640" height="360">
<param name='src' value="BlueSphereIntroNew-Web.mov" >
<param name='autoplay' value="true">
<param name='controller' value="true">
<param name='loop' value="false">
<EMBED src= "BlueSphereIntroNew-Web.mov" width="640" height="360" loop="false" autoplay="true"
controller="true" pluginspage='http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/'> </EMBED>
</OBJECT>

</body>
</html>

#12 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

silly me...I meant 640x360:). Of course it is 720x404 if you are doing 720. I have been doing a bunch of NTSC stuff lately and had 720 stuck in my head.

So at 640x360, i have no issues on my website. The issue is embedding in the wetpixel forum. Will this fix that?
sorry for the confusion Drew...have a new baby and am geting less than 3-4 hours sleep a night.
www.bluespheremedia.com

#13 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:14 PM

Hey not bad.
Did you do that in motion?
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#14 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:19 PM

Yup. Motion is a great package for those of us without a dozen years of training in motion graphics:)...really Apple has done a great job with the package...think Photoshop meets video editing software.
www.bluespheremedia.com

#15 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:39 AM

silly me...I meant 640x360:). Of course it is 720x404 if you are doing 720. I have been doing a bunch of NTSC stuff lately and had 720 stuck in my head.

So at 640x360, i have no issues on my website. The issue is embedding in the wetpixel forum. Will this fix that?
sorry for the confusion Drew...have a new baby and am geting less than 3-4 hours sleep a night.

LOL, I was getting a bit lost myself. Having seen your posts I figured for sure I had to be missing something since you know your stuff. Congrats on the baby, my brother just had one and I can't understand him anymore either :rolleyes:

As to the embed issue, I have not tried the system, but looking at the description the code is

[quicktime]http://yourserver.com/yourmovie.mov/quicktime[/quicktime]

It does not seem to pass/read the parameters for the item itself (height/width) - it seems that 16:9 gets read as 4:3 when using QT.

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=14961

Eric, maybe info on the size of the movie at end of the URL can be looked into for the QT? If height and/or width not specified then default to 4:3.

[quicktime]http://yourserver.com/yourmovie.mov?h=640&w=360[/quicktime]
Guess even just the height or width can be passed because then 16:9 can be calculated from there and scaled into the page

Or maybe easier, another tag for QT 16:9 that just spews out a 16:9 size that is reasonable when it is encountered - such as QT 16:9 is always 360 x 202 or some other size that works in the context of the Forum

[quicktime169]http://yourserver.com/yourmovie.mov/quicktime[/quicktime169]

Edited by TheRealDrew, 07 April 2007 - 05:44 AM.

#16 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:54 AM

Very cool – love the planet type blue sphere. Little irritated by the flying text, and the Spanish Dancer is off centre. The words may still need a little tweaking, eg ‘Reveal the Secrets’ is not what the viewer is doing - that is what you are doing, so ‘Discover the Secrets’ is more pertinent. I loved the schooling jacks, and when you get HD whale sharks in better viz you can replace that – what about the flying rays of Cocos?

I like the ‘motion flare’ on the text, and the font, but the very aggressive fly-in is a little too much IMHO – maybe a softer entrance, or a less ‘wide’ fly-in?

The overall look is really pro.

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#17 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:23 AM

Really well done. Odd that, for me, on a Mac, it opens as a 16x9.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#18 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:36 AM

Great input Nick...will look at all that stuff.

Everyone...appeaers i confused the topic...sleep deprived. On my site, 16:9 is never an issue. My issue is embedding a 16:9 QT file in Wetpixel posts. Haven't been able to do it yet.
www.bluespheremedia.com

#19 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:46 AM

Everyone...appeaers i confused the topic...sleep deprived. On my site, 16:9 is never an issue. My issue is embedding a 16:9 QT file in Wetpixel posts. Haven't been able to do it yet.

Seems it can't be done right now from what I saw above :rolleyes:

Edited by TheRealDrew, 07 April 2007 - 07:54 AM.

#20 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

I have given up embedding on WP for this reason. Trying to get a 16:9 display is not possible it seems, unless one re-encodes the whole clip as a letter box - ie 4:3 with the 16:9 material letterboxed inside. This is too much extra work IMHO!

A link to an external site works fine of course, although it would be cool to have the immediacy of a quick clip on WP in all its intended widescreen glory :rolleyes:

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80