New Film Intro

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:33 PM

Guys here is a 320/180 H.264 one I did.
2 megs. Hows it look.

Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#22 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

Hey Shawn,

It's really cool!! I love the ramping!! Thought you did a great job with the cutting, the sound and the graphics. A great job!

Mary Lynn

#23 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

Thank you Mary Lynn...i worked hard to make things line up:)

Wags....as always you are my hero. Can you post settings (in detail) you used to get this? Perhaps it is a Compressor thing?
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#24 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

Shawn how long has it taken you to get the intro to this stage?

Settings.....I just encoded it straight out of an EDIUS 1440/1080 timeline as a QT H.264 320/180 1.1 aspect ratio.

h264.gif
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#25 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

Works the same for me in Compressor or direct from FCP. I get 16:9 results when I want it. Must be your settings Shawn.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#26 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:34 AM

Works the same for me in Compressor or direct from FCP. I get 16:9 results when I want it. Must be your settings Shawn.

Do you know which item in the encoder may prevent it from embedding in Wetpixel page at 16:9 using the bbCode?

Maybe I need to buy Edius :rolleyes:

Edited by TheRealDrew, 08 April 2007 - 06:36 AM.

#27 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:18 AM

Just done in 3 minutes to show it can be done. I used compressor on 4:3 video forced to 16:9. Nothing wrong with Compressor or FCP or even Quicktime. Although if I remember correctly, Quicktime had this bug in V.5 or 6 but was quickly corrected.
I believe the embedding limits the size to 480 x ***. Size matters :rolleyes:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#28 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:57 AM

Just done in 3 minutes to show it can be done. I used compressor on 4:3 video forced to 16:9. Nothing wrong with Compressor or FCP or even Quicktime. Although if I remember correctly, Quicktime had this bug in V.5 or 6 but was quickly corrected.

That was alot of fun to watch :rolleyes:

As to Shawn's issue is their is a size limit (width/height) to movies which could be causing the issue since you and Wagsy have the Quicktime happening?

Edited by TheRealDrew, 08 April 2007 - 08:57 AM.

#29 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

Could be size or the limitation of Invision software. Seems to work now. :rolleyes:

Drew

#30 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:12 AM

Drew,
Thanks for the help. Looks like you nailed it. 640x_ is too big. The 320x works just fine...I guess i will keep the vids under 480x_.

Wags,
I worded on this for a couple of long evenings. Truth be told, it took that long b/c my MacBook pro is just not equiped to run Motion with that many render effects. I will be solving that shortly with a desktop.

How's this look:

Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#31 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:20 AM

Could be size or the limitation of Invision software. Seems to work now. :rolleyes:

Eureka!!! :ninja:

Edited by Drew, 08 April 2007 - 11:26 AM.

#32 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

What's with the big white border? When I play on a Windows machine in the office (will try with the Mac tonight) the little old 320x180 floats in the midst of a huge white border. Also at 320x the res is pretty awful.

I wonder whether a sligthly bigger custom setting to make full use of all that white space would work. eg 480x270? - needs experimentation

Nevertheless - progress to show a fast and dirty embed! good input guys.

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#33 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

I believe the embedding limits the size to 480 x ***. Size matters :ninja:

Hey what happend to the movie? I was going to show it to someone (thought it was cool) and the post changed :rolleyes:

#34 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:42 PM

Sorry too many embeds make this page VERY large to read. Quicktime loads automatically as default, which is really not right. The actual video is linked somewhere in the archives.

Drew

#35 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

Ha - was Drew's embed at 480x ? That would resolve that question.

There was no embedded vid in Drew's post when I logged on an hour ago.......

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#36 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:51 PM

Ha - was Drew's embed at 480x ? That would resolve that question.

There was no embedded vid in Drew's post when I logged on an hour ago.......

Yup, there was the video and no mention of the size limit, hence my post after suggesting the movie was cool and it might be the size limit issue, then no movie and the mention of the size limit - I am now going to start drinking to justify my confusion :rolleyes: :ninja: :ninja: ;) I love those things :lol:

#37 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

I am now going to start drinking to justify my confusion :rolleyes: :ninja: :ninja: ;) I love those things :lol:

'those things' = the drinks? or the things in Drew's retracted video? (which of course are unknown to us who haven't seen this video of unspecific dimensions) <_<

#38 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:55 PM

This post is quickly becoming a classic!
www.bluespheremedia.com

#39 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

'those things' = the drinks? or the things in Drew's retracted video? (which of course are unknown to us who haven't seen this video of unspecific dimensions) <_<

Actually these things :D :P :D :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness:

This post is quickly becoming a classic!

It was a dark and gloomy night.......

#40 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

That's a really classy intro Shawn. I can almost smell the popcorn.

Makes me realise more and more that I should concentrate on stock footage and leave fancy editing like that to people who actually have talent at it :D

I found the speeded-up bits a bit unnecessary, especially on the manta and whale shark. I would just stick with the slomo or real speed.

The pacing of the text ("explore the secrets" etc.) is a little too fast for me. I would let them linger an extra half second each.

Also on a purely personal note, I find those waily, "impending doom", female vocals a bit too fashionable since they were done to death in "Troy". They seem to be used all over the place these days.