#41 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:19 AM

Good stuff Nick:)
-not entirely happy with the speed up/slowmo either...issue is time...need to keep intro brief but want to capture motion and effect...will take another pass on this

-Text duration, I agree...i think i will extend time a bit more

-Female vocals, i went back and forth on that. pulled them out and put back in. in the end it just seemed more robust with them in. i happen to not have been exposed to many recent movies using them so perhaps i am not as aware of it's current abuse:)

Really appreciate the detailed feedback!
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#42 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

-not entirely happy with the speed up/slowmo either...issue is time...need to keep intro brief but want to capture motion and effect...will take another pass on this

I've seen that use of very fast motion instantly slowed down to very slow motion quite a lot recently in movies but it's usually used for example when someone's running from a bomb and the action slows right down as the bomb explodes and the guy flies through the air. I think it can work but the fast bit has to be really fast and with plenty of movement. And then the slow bit has to be really slow and catch the most expressive part of the clip. Then I think it can be quite a powerful technique. Scubazoo's opening piece on the Sensational Seas DVD uses something similar to great effect, but I think it's just realtime slowed instantly to slomo.

-Female vocals, i went back and forth on that. pulled them out and put back in. in the end it just seemed more robust with them in. i happen to not have been exposed to many recent movies using them so perhaps i am not as aware of it's current abuse:)

Rent Troy and check out the bit where Brad Pitt is about to kick Eric Banna's arse :D

#43 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:44 PM

Or even "300" - in that we even had Gladiator-like corn field scenes and those wailing females again! Of course the first and best wailing fems in the popular media were on PF's Dark Side of the Moon - but I guess that's dating me a little :D

edit: oops - just realised 300 is not out on DVD yet. Definitely a must buy later for the high res flat screen tho. Made me start working out again too!

Edited by NickJ, 10 April 2007 - 10:47 PM.

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#44 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:35 PM

What about howler monkeys and chalk boards...haven't heard that used much lately in soundtracks?
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#45 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:UW videography, tec diving<br />literature (novels)<br />diplomacy

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:41 PM

Just a small note regarding slow/fast mo:

I think the variable speed is disturbing (me) in case of the manta or the whale shark, because, a.f.a.ik. they do not have this behavior in the real world. But it is very good effect it the hammerhead scene, since this behavior seems to be their own behavior also.

Jules

#46 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

Jules,
Great input. I am hearing a concensus on the fast motion. I will get this fixed.
Thanks folks.
shawn
www.bluespheremedia.com