• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:28 AM

Okay folks, you've been warned....here is the submissions letter finally come out for this year. We have moved to a new, larger venue with an unbelievable HD projection system with pristine sound. The hall houses 520 seats, just a beautiful hall. This is our 8th year and it is amazing how the film festival has grown in size and the quality of films. -Steve B)

San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition

Submit your films to the San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition,
And Make a Difference!

This is a call for entries for the 8th Annual San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition, scheduled for Friday and Saturday evenings, October 12th & 13th, 2007 at the Qualcomm Hall located at 5775 Morehouse Dr, San Diego, Ca. 92121

Here is your chance to see your work projected in Standard or High Definition formats in a state of the art venue on a giant screen. There is no entry fee!

Each evening will feature a different program consisting of 14 to 16 short underwater films from locations all over the world.

Entry Guidelines:
* Submission deadline is August 15, 2007.
* We are accepting Standard Definition NTSC or High Definition 1080i60 HDV films only on mini-DV tapes. We cannot accept PAL or 1080i/50 submissions. Please convert your video(s) to either of the above formats prior to submission.

* No film should be longer than five minutes and at least 50% of the footage must be underwater.

* Please ensure that you have all rights, to any media that is used in your film(s) (music, visual footage,
personal, copyright, or any other legal right.
* Leave at least a 10-15 second black leader at the beginning of your submissions. More than one film
may be entered on a tape but include a 15 second black leader before each film.

* Filmmakers are limited to 2 submissions each.

* To have your tapes returned after the Film Exhibition, please include a proper sized, self-addressed,
stamped envelope with adequate postage.

* Please include your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, film’s name and length,
and a brief bio with your submission(s).

* For further information on UFEX see our website, www.sdufex.com

* Send your submissions to: San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition
c/o Bob Gladden
10339 Thanksgiving Ln.
San Diego, CA 92126.

Filmmakers whose films are selected are encouraged to come to the show and introduce their film(s) in person on the night of the exhibition.

The San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition reserves the right to use the films for the promotion of this event. All rights will remain with the owners of the films.

If you have any questions please contact either Bob Gladden at (858) 695-0264, ovisions@san.rr.com; or Steve Douglas at: (619) 464-4505, steve-sharksdelight@cox.net.
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Steve.
That time again.....gee time flys.

I'll have ago at converting a 5 min musical HDV 50i piece to 60i and if it looks oka will send it to you.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

That would be great, we'd love to see the works of some new submitters. There is a ton of talent out there and this really is an incredible venue. No politics, not sponsors, just the very best films chosen by independent judges for showcasing.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:42 AM

Steve
I just converted the 5 minute HDV 50i (PAL) to HDV 60i (NTSC) with EDIUS straight out from the 50i HDV PAL timeline.

It may not be technically correct but it certainly played back fine, maybe abit softer looking. I don't know what EDIUS does to it but if others are looking to convert HDV then it's a very easy way. It even does NTSC to PAL real nice going by the test on the NTSC tape MARY sent us.

Send it to the FX1 or A1 PAL 50i cameras and it kicks it into 60i mode and records it as 60i NTSC.

Guess you will be getting a HDV tape then. :rolleyes:

Anyone else that is PAL land on a PC then go and download the 30 day trial of EDIUS and convert to sent in as well.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#5 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:37 AM

I just haven't got the time or the will to try and downsize my master piece to 5MINS !!! It took a lot to get it from 40mins to 10.. I'm a filmmaker not a butcher..Please make film times longer.

I make films not 'Showreels' :rolleyes:

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

Dean....No one is asking anyone to be a butcher. For the last 8 years our shows have been on Friday and Saturday nights, two completely different shows, and each runs about 2 hours. This is a great way to showcase the work of a variety of diverse underwater film makers from around the world. If we allowed one film to run 40 minutes we wouldn't have the opportunity to expose as many filmmakers to the public. Most showcases and competitions have a 5 minute limit, the Ohio Film Fest has a 3 min. limit and WetPixel's competion this year had a 1 minute limit.
It is difficult to cut one's work tho that often improves the work itself. Two of last year's entries came from Leandro Blanco, who is the best I've seen to date. He won the prestigious Beneath the Sea competion back East this year. I won it in 2005. I'm sure Leandro has longer films but he came through for himself and for the various shows he enters. I know of no other festival or competition that showcases the work of filmmakers such as yourself in as fine a theater as we book each year. As always, the choice is yours.
Hope you will reconsider as I am sure your work deserves viewing.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:43 AM

steve didn't mean to sound precious, or bitter...

Just a jovial piece of banter..I made a 5min piece for the subio's film fest a couple of years ago.. :rolleyes: Didn't get anywhere :ninja: ..My longer films seem to do better. I'll have a go at the MTV style editing that dominates these shorter fests one day. You never know, I might enjoy it...

Good luck to everyone who enters...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#8 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6181 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:45 PM

Steve...

You haven't gotten used to Dean by now?!?!?!?! :ninja:

Although he usually does sound precious this one was pretty funny...

"i'm a filmmaker not a butcher" :rolleyes:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#9 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

I make films not 'Showreels' :rolleyes:

Why do I now have visions of actresses from the 30s and 40s saying "dahhhling" with a cigarette holder in one hand and a martini in the other?

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

Dang, went right over my head. -Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#11 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:23 AM

Good news Steve,
Glad to see things are on the up and up with regards to the Festival's public reception. I will be looking to finally enter with a short piece I'll be putting together in the coming weeks. Still working on it but it should be a nice little expose on the muck and macro critters of Palau. Of course I'll have to build the picture of Palau with some of the wider angle stock new to my archives such as repetitive dives on a Bait Ball, Fish Cleaning, Sharks and wrecks etc. Should be fun.

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers,
Mark.

Posted Image

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#12 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:23 AM

Whats wrong with wearing a monocle and a cravat :D

Tread the boardwalks smell the grease paint lovey ...

I'm a filmmaker Darlink... not a Butcher...

Love you all

Dive safe

Dean(come on steve its me for pete's sake))B
Facebook me ;)

#13 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

Great Mark, looking forward to it.
Dean, I should have known, like I said, right over my head.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#14 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

Hey all, we just started getting some submissions in. Hope you are planning to do the same.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#15 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

Okay guys, submissions have been slow coming in. Then again, they usually are until the last month but never the less, hope you are planning on submitting a film or two this year.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#16 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:49 PM

Hey all, we just started getting some submissions in. Hope you are planning to do the same.
Steve B)

http://sdufex.com/gu...ines/index.html

The entries closed a year ago :lol:

#17 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. An error obviously on the ufex website. Will see that it is taken care of
STeve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas