Jump to content


Photo

8 Month Old Canon D60 for Sale!


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_Duncan

Chris_Duncan

    Triggerfish

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Location:San Diego

Posted 28 February 2003 - 01:28 PM

Hi everyone,

I am going to be putting my Canon D60 out on eBay this evening. Since I decided not to house my D60 (more on that later), I am going to try to stay ahead of the digital curve and wait for the D10 to become available (better AF, magnesium alloy body, and higher ISO sensitivity is enough to get me to upgrade).

I thought I would give the people on this board that might want a digital SLR that has housings available now a shot first. I am asking $1,650 (which will be my reserve on ebay).

If you have any interest, let me know either via email (udpumpkin@yahoo.com) or PM on Wetpixel. I will probably put the camera on eBay at 9:30 pm EST tonight.

Regards,
Chris Duncan

#2 Chris_Duncan

Chris_Duncan

    Triggerfish

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Location:San Diego

Posted 28 February 2003 - 08:10 PM

It is now listed on eBay. Reserve price changed to $1,600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=2914934347

#3 tshepherd

tshepherd

    Great Hammerhead

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Location:Westfield, NJ, USA

Posted 01 March 2003 - 05:49 AM

Chris, FWIW, you *might* have a hard time getting a reserve price of $1600 with the 10D announced for mid-march availability. Ritz Camera is already pre-ordering them with a price of $1,499. If I were shopping for a camera now, and was considering the D60 or 10D, I'd pre-order the 10D unless there was a really compelling reason to do otherwise.

Just my $0.02

Tom

#4 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

    Eagle Ray

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Location:Jax Florida

Posted 01 March 2003 - 06:22 AM

Mine sold for $2300 (with grip) on Ebay yesterday

#5 tshepherd

tshepherd

    Great Hammerhead

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Location:Westfield, NJ, USA

Posted 01 March 2003 - 06:53 AM

Unbelievable.

#6 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

    Eagle Ray

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Location:Jax Florida

Posted 01 March 2003 - 12:51 PM

I kinda felt that way as well!! I purchased the 10D and I have $775 left over after shipping and everything!

#7 tshepherd

tshepherd

    Great Hammerhead

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Location:Westfield, NJ, USA

Posted 01 March 2003 - 02:51 PM

That's what I was thinking. The only thing I can guess is that the person who bought it must REALLY want a D60, and probably doesn't know about the 10D, or is in a big hurry and doesn't want to wait.

Congrats, that's the best way to upgrade!!

#8 Chris_Duncan

Chris_Duncan

    Triggerfish

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Location:San Diego

Posted 02 March 2003 - 08:02 AM

Obviously, if the choice was between a 10D and D60 for the same price *most* people would preorder the 10D. The reason I posted the D60 on Wetpixel is for those that are interested in getting a Canon Digital SLR underwater in the near future.

If the 10D is anything like the D60 was, it will be until June before the cameras are readily available (in the case the D60 I am not sure they ever were). On top of that, who knows how long it will take for underwater housings to be available for the 10D. The D30/60 have been out for 2+ years and there are 2 or 3 housings available now, with maybe another 1 or 2 on the way. It could be a year before you are able to get the 10D underwater.

I might have missed the boat by about a week on posting my camera on eBay. Not a big deal. The rational in my pricing was I am willing to pay $100 to upgrade to a 10D, probably not $200, and definitely not $300. After you take out the cost of eBay, taking credit cards on PayPal, and the such, I would have to sell the camera for at least $1,400 to $1,500 for the upgrade to cost me only $100.

Anyway, I am happy with the D60 and won't be extremely dissapointed if I don't sell it for the 10D. I will just need to start working on my wife for the generation after that, because I am sure there will be enough improvements in the next generation to convince me to shell out more bucks.

Chris

PS If anyone is interested in buying a D60 because they don't want to wait, I have the reserve down to my lowest limit as explained above ($1,450). Any more than that and I would have to get approval from management (wife) and that is not happening this year.

#9 tshepherd

tshepherd

    Great Hammerhead

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Location:Westfield, NJ, USA

Posted 02 March 2003 - 09:50 AM

Chris D, don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning why you would sell the D60 to upgrade. I certainly thought about doing the same thing, and have for now decided not to. Primary reason is the housing availability issue as you mention, and the second (probably more important), is that the household CFO isn't likely to see any ROI on that purchase... (sorry, too much work this week).

In the end, I hope you do get the price you want for it. I'd like to see as many people as possible get the 10D, so that the housing manufacturers start quickly. That way, if I choose to dump the D60, I can at least get it housed...

Tom

#10 bobjarman

bobjarman

    Manta Ray

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Nashville, TN

Posted 02 March 2003 - 11:05 AM

and the second (probably more important), is that the household CFO isn't likely to see any ROI on that purchase


HAHAHA Good one :)

Wait til you try to get the 1ds and a seacam set up through. :freak:

#11 tshepherd

tshepherd

    Great Hammerhead

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Location:Westfield, NJ, USA

Posted 02 March 2003 - 12:40 PM

Baby steps my friend, baby steps. Gotta work up to that. And start selling my body on the street probably too... :)

#12 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

    Sperm Whale

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Location:UK */Seychelles/Singapore
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 02 March 2003 - 12:45 PM

You'll probably find that the D1s will be discontinued too within the next few months. I have not met anyone yet who has owned one who likes it. Jessops had 11 of 12 purchases returned.

#13 tshepherd

tshepherd

    Great Hammerhead

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Location:Westfield, NJ, USA

Posted 02 March 2003 - 02:22 PM

Which begs the question, what's next?

#14 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

    Eagle Ray

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Location:Jax Florida

Posted 02 March 2003 - 02:36 PM

I expect that the minor modifcation of the D60 - 10D will not take long. At this point I am not sure If I can use the 10D in the D60 housing but It's worth a try!~

#15 Chris_Duncan

Chris_Duncan

    Triggerfish

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Location:San Diego

Posted 02 March 2003 - 06:51 PM

Well, this topic has kind of gone all over the place.

The D60 sold for $1,500 with buy-it now. That will enable me to get the 10D with out second level approval. I sold the second BP-511 as an incentive with the D60, but I am not sure what battery type the 10D will take. I thought I read that it used the BP-511, but on Ritz it says it uses the BP-512?

Also, with regards to the body being similar, when I read the review on dpreview.com, it looks like the body does have different measurements. It is not very different, but maybe just enough to make it a little more complex than moving a couple of buttons around.

One last note, I will probably miss not having the SLR around for a couple of months, but I have been enjoying my new Oly 5050. It is a fun camera to use with some neat features to play with and the 1.8 lens is nice. I think I might enjoy not lugging around a backback with an SLR, a couple of lenses, a flash, bunch of filters, cords, etc. for a little while. Well, not too long.

More on the Oly setup later.

Chris

#16 Chris_Duncan

Chris_Duncan

    Triggerfish

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Location:San Diego

Posted 02 March 2003 - 07:01 PM

Nevermind, I don't know where I saw BP-512.