8 Month Old Canon D60 for Sale!
Posted 28 February 2003 - 01:28 PM
I am going to be putting my Canon D60 out on eBay this evening. Since I decided not to house my D60 (more on that later), I am going to try to stay ahead of the digital curve and wait for the D10 to become available (better AF, magnesium alloy body, and higher ISO sensitivity is enough to get me to upgrade).
I thought I would give the people on this board that might want a digital SLR that has housings available now a shot first. I am asking $1,650 (which will be my reserve on ebay).
If you have any interest, let me know either via email (email@example.com) or PM on Wetpixel. I will probably put the camera on eBay at 9:30 pm EST tonight.
Posted 01 March 2003 - 05:49 AM
Just my $0.02
Posted 01 March 2003 - 12:51 PM
Posted 01 March 2003 - 02:51 PM
Congrats, that's the best way to upgrade!!
Posted 02 March 2003 - 08:02 AM
If the 10D is anything like the D60 was, it will be until June before the cameras are readily available (in the case the D60 I am not sure they ever were). On top of that, who knows how long it will take for underwater housings to be available for the 10D. The D30/60 have been out for 2+ years and there are 2 or 3 housings available now, with maybe another 1 or 2 on the way. It could be a year before you are able to get the 10D underwater.
I might have missed the boat by about a week on posting my camera on eBay. Not a big deal. The rational in my pricing was I am willing to pay $100 to upgrade to a 10D, probably not $200, and definitely not $300. After you take out the cost of eBay, taking credit cards on PayPal, and the such, I would have to sell the camera for at least $1,400 to $1,500 for the upgrade to cost me only $100.
Anyway, I am happy with the D60 and won't be extremely dissapointed if I don't sell it for the 10D. I will just need to start working on my wife for the generation after that, because I am sure there will be enough improvements in the next generation to convince me to shell out more bucks.
PS If anyone is interested in buying a D60 because they don't want to wait, I have the reserve down to my lowest limit as explained above ($1,450). Any more than that and I would have to get approval from management (wife) and that is not happening this year.
Posted 02 March 2003 - 09:50 AM
In the end, I hope you do get the price you want for it. I'd like to see as many people as possible get the 10D, so that the housing manufacturers start quickly. That way, if I choose to dump the D60, I can at least get it housed...
Posted 02 March 2003 - 11:05 AM
and the second (probably more important), is that the household CFO isn't likely to see any ROI on that purchase
HAHAHA Good one
Wait til you try to get the 1ds and a seacam set up through. :freak:
Posted 02 March 2003 - 12:40 PM
Posted 02 March 2003 - 12:45 PM
Posted 02 March 2003 - 02:36 PM
Posted 02 March 2003 - 06:51 PM
The D60 sold for $1,500 with buy-it now. That will enable me to get the 10D with out second level approval. I sold the second BP-511 as an incentive with the D60, but I am not sure what battery type the 10D will take. I thought I read that it used the BP-511, but on Ritz it says it uses the BP-512?
Also, with regards to the body being similar, when I read the review on dpreview.com, it looks like the body does have different measurements. It is not very different, but maybe just enough to make it a little more complex than moving a couple of buttons around.
One last note, I will probably miss not having the SLR around for a couple of months, but I have been enjoying my new Oly 5050. It is a fun camera to use with some neat features to play with and the 1.8 lens is nice. I think I might enjoy not lugging around a backback with an SLR, a couple of lenses, a flash, bunch of filters, cords, etc. for a little while. Well, not too long.
More on the Oly setup later.