Photo
- - - - -

Wetpixel Trip, Summer 2004: Dolphins + Sharks (FULL)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 06:27 PM

UPDATE: TRIP IS FULL
----------

I have spoken to Jim and Anna Abernethy and am thinking of chartering the Shear Water for a 5-7 day Bahamas trip during July of 2004. We'd focus on sharks and dolphins -- for wetpixel members.

It is easy to get fantastic reef shark and dolphin photos out there during the summer. As a bonus, great hammerheads and tiger sharks may come in (although, it's not really the best season for them). We'll also dive sugar wreck for some guaranteed orange ball corallimorphs, and will have talks from Jim and Anna on sharks and dolphins. I will be on board as well to provide digital imaging expertise, and if there is enough interest we can arrive a day or two early to do turtle photo day trips in West Palm Beach. It is also possible that we'd be able to do a baby turtle release.

Let's see a show of hands for interest! I'd like to cap the trip to 8-10 people because everyone will likely have at least one camera and possibly a computer. :) The final price will likely be around $300/day.

Oh, yes. Sharks are baited in and wrangled on the surface. If you do not like this sort of thing, you might want to avoid the trip. :)
photos from last year's trip (similar itinerary) can be found at http://echeng.com/travel/bahamas2002

Posted Image
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#2 donauw

donauw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 07:24 PM

I am a definite "maybe" Very interested if schedule permits.

#3 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 02:15 AM

Oh, yes.  Sharks are baited in and wrangled on the surface.

Eric,

Thank you for extending this offer to fellow wetpixelians. I am glad to see you are honest enough to mention this fact, however I am totally anti this kind of shark baiting for diver gain beahaviour.

IMHO this sort of beahviour should be banned worldwide....full stop.

Is this ethically right you promoting such a trip when so many countries already have & are now fighting to ban this?

I appreciate your honesty in mentioning the fact though.

Mark
Dirk Pitt taught me everything!!!!
E10/Titan housing/1 x Sea & Sea 90 Duo

#4 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 07:51 AM

Sign me up for two spots!

#5 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 10:06 AM

however I am totally anti this kind of shark baiting for diver gain beahaviour.

IMHO this sort of beahviour should be banned worldwide....full stop.

Is this ethically right you promoting such a trip when so many countries already have & are now fighting to ban this?

Mark - Thanks for your concern. I've read some literature about the topic and have my own opinions about the matter. it's true that there is much controversy around this issue, but unfortunately I'm not interested in starting a debate in this forum. There is an open thread in the galley about this topic, and I'd prefer that you all use that thread instead.

#6 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 12:56 PM

Thanks Eric. I don't want to get into a debate on this. Everyone has their opinions & entitled to them. As i said it is good that you brought this fact to peoples attention. This way those who sign up know they are contributing to the long term decline of the shark.

Mark
Dirk Pitt taught me everything!!!!
E10/Titan housing/1 x Sea & Sea 90 Duo

#7 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 02:56 PM

This way those who sign up know they are contributing to the long term decline of the shark

Come on now Mark, thought you weren't going to get into a debate on this thread...

#8 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 03:13 PM

This way those who sign up know they are contributing to the long term decline of the shark.

Mark, with no facts, this is an extremely unfair statement.

I'm locking this thread, because my attempts to keep debates off of here are being ignored. If you are interested in this trip, please PM or e-mail me privately.

The shark baiting/feeding controversy thread is available in the galley.