• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 03:39 AM

I've been waiting for weeks - I'll be buying a next-generation camera. I expected the new bodies to be announced this weekend but haven't found anything exciting. It really looks like we've reached a point of diminishing returns with digital cameras - like we did with DVDs, CDs, and every other great technology.

Where is the next pro Nikon?

I've never followed PMA this closely - do new announcements come in day to day, or are they made at the beginning?

Anyone heard about 14N results? Is there chromatic aberration issue like the D1s?

Its decision time - and I want a camera I'll be happy with for several years, and will be able to house. 14N is exciting because they really tout the upgradability of the camera. Its CMOS is big and high rez, so I think that firmware upgrades may keep this camera improving for some time.
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#2 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 02 March 2003 - 03:54 AM

I too am waiting for the Kodak as it is the best spec DSLR yet and the upgradability, as I mentioned before is a BIG+. However, I pray I am not too old and weak before they finally release it!

#3 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 04:01 AM

I'm lucky in that I don't care much about the next generation, only shooting the one I have.

There are plenty of new camera anouncements, but not on the pro SLR front, save the D60 replacement.

As I expected, the new wave of cameras are less about megapixels and more about improvements. Most of these being in the consumer arena. These cameras have been lacking in certain areas and the latest generation addresses many of these issues. Dynamic range, shutter lag, lens optics and overall image quality. Overcoming these shortcomings is where the market is going. The final push to get film users to digital.

The 10D anouncement touted "revolutionary vs. evolutionary", but the reality is that it was truly evolutionary. That's not all bad. Again, the shortcomings or criticisms of the D60 were addressed. Same megapixels, same CMOS chip, only greatly improved in many areas.

The 14n is shipping without any further reviews being published and no new sample images. Only the reviewers who have Non-Disclosure Agreements have seen the final production unit results and apparently can't say just yet.

Nikon? Who knows. They are stuck in a mud hole somewhere. I'm speculating that they are between a rock and a hard place. Canon has taken every disadvantage of the CMOS sensor and engineered them away. Meanwhile, Nikon has been left holding the CCD bag. They can make (or should I say Sony can make) a full frame sensor, but the cost will be much higher than Canon and power consumption will be great. I'm sure they will have a D1 replacement by Photokina to compete with the 1Ds, but I keep wondering how the can respond a well featured 10D at $1500.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#4 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 02:57 PM

New oly 4/3s body is based on an E-20 - important buttons have not moved. I wonder if LMI will engineer an interchangeable port system onto the Titan. Might save me some serious $.
Sea & Sea strobes

#5 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 10:13 PM

Imaging resource has posted some sample photos from the Kodak 14N.
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#6 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 02:46 AM

Bob - could you outline for me your dissatisfaction with the 1ds. The reviewers seem awfully happy with the camera despite the CA issues. How bad are they? Was there anything else you didn't like about the camera?
Sea & Sea strobes

#7 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 07:54 AM

Film folk have had to deal with chromatic aberrations forever. I've heard similar grumblings of dissatifaction from a few professional uw folk who have tried the camera.

I'd think that another problem that would rule out the camera is compulsory two-handed operation of settings controls. Want to change the aperture or shutter speed? It takes two hands to do it.
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#8 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 03:28 AM

With the 14N built around the N80 - what caliber of autofocus can we expect?
Sea & Sea strobes

#9 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 06:07 AM

It's Nikon's second best - not the "d1X" system from the F5/F100. I use the S2 which is based on the N80 as well and the autofocus is pretty good.

It's also important to note that the 14N has a magnesium metal body - unlike the D100 and S2 which are plastic body over metal chassis. With that said, I'm sure if you drop either of these three cameras you won't be happy.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#10 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:07 AM

As an owner of both a D100 with the Multi-Cam 900 autofocus (shared with the F80 and S2) and a F100 with the Multi-Cam 1300 (shared with F5 and D1) I would say that having the (in my opinion, far poorer) Multi-Cam 900 in the Kodak is a major drawback.

I would imagine that Nikon want to keep their decent autofocus system for their own future top line cameras?

Of course the difference in autofocus is meaningless for wide angle and most standard fish photography where both will be fine. But for low light macro (especially super macro) and fast moving subjects then I know I get shots with the F100 I couldn't get with the D100.

OK, I know that other more skilled (and more patient) photographers probably could get these shots. But for me I notice the difference and find it significant in the results I produce.

Alex

For fairness, I must add that the D100 can, of course, get lots of types of images that the F100 cannot!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#11 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:11 AM

Has anyone here used a D1x underwater?

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#12 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 12:22 PM

[QUOTE]Has anyone here used a D1x underwater?

Not yet, but I'm starting to lean that way. I can believe how underwhelming PMA has been.

The D10 AF may bring it into prime time - I'm awaiting comments on that system (and housings!).
Sea & Sea strobes

#13 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 12:32 PM

Kasey,

I would try one of the "less expensive" cameras before getting the D1x

I'm thinking the 10d's AF will be decent and for underwater use, the N80 based cameras have been fine so far. I wouldn't use them to shoot sports or waterfowl, but macro has been pretty good.

The D1x does have a BIG viewfinder going for it though. But that's about it. And I have also heard complaints about its sensor.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#14 marriard

marriard

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 01:11 PM

[quote] [QUOTE]Has anyone here used a D1x underwater?

Not yet, but I'm starting to lean that way. I can believe how underwhelming PMA has been.

The D10 AF may bring it into prime time - I'm awaiting comments on that system (and housings!). [/quote]
I used the D1X in a Seacam housing. Nice camera, but several thousand dollars over priced. Stick with the S2Pro or D100 if you have Nikon lenses - possibly the Kodak 14n if it ever gets released (and then 6 mths for a housing).

Worth checking out the Canon's if you don't have an investment in lenses.

M

#15 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 05:24 PM

Anyone have info on the new Canon 17-40L lense they announced at the same time as the 10D? If list to retail ratios are the same as the other L lenses, that'd put it around the cost of a Sigma 14mm prime. That'd be a nice range even on a d60 or 10D...

#16 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 07:35 PM

And I have also heard complaints about its sensor.

What complaints?

Although I like the canon lineup I'm reluctant because of the lack of a wide angle solution in sight. If I get wind of housing for the 14N, and reviews come in OK, that'll be my choice.
Sea & Sea strobes

#17 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 07:41 PM

Noise, and the complaint that it has more resolution on one axis than the other.

I think the Kodak has potential - but it's not like there are any good samples or a good review yet. Wish they would hurry up.

The guy from imaging-resource snapped off some shots w/ a demo unit locked at ISO80 w/ a 28mm lens. I'd like to see some shots w/ a 20mm prime or the 17-35AFS

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#18 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:20 AM

How about trying to get a housing for this beast!

http://arstechnica.c...1046836224.html

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#19 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:20 AM

Sorry for this post - I had a connection problem.