23 replies to this topic

#21 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

Unfortunately, I only have the information that people have sent me directly. Someone I know who was promised a refund by the 15th has still not received it.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#22 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:26 AM

The check from Steve Jacobs to my travel agent bounced. I just received word.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#23 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:44 AM

I believe the refunds were sent via a "sight draft" which is not a check per se. Some small local banks may not recognize it, but as one client notes, his brokerage firm did.
I have processed these through my local Washington Mutual bank branch and it took about 4 weeks for the hard copy to round trip to Sing.

I spoke to Steve recently and he said "all but 2 have been refunded; the 2 were clouded contractually"(???).
He has settled with me on a satisfactory basis and I have received the funds for myself and one additional US client.

He was instrumental in helping the crew members get placed.
Made and Ali are here www.archipelago-fleet.com Rudy and Aguts went with the boat.

The operation took 3 major hits this year:

1. When the ship was chartered to the surfing business, only 6 months had to be sold to the diving market. This year that went to 12 months to fill and it was not happening
2. Larry had a major name and following; his passing hurt the operation and marketing
3. The engine problem developed and the boat needed to at least go to Bali if not to Aus.for an indeterminate time

The ship was a capital investment and it was not now providing the requisite ROI.
If you had $1.5mil on your table to invest, would you buy a dive boat and operate it in one of the most remote areas of the world?

A sad ending for the best live aboard of the 64 trips we have been on.
R I P
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#24 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:17 AM

Refund received. End of the story for me personally. I won't bother addressing the tripe in the previous post.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"