• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Photo Dude at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:37 AM

Im selling my Nexus housing on eBay at the moment, courtesy of my mums eBay account as im leaving tomorrow and she's going to organise postage.

You can imagine my horror when my mum received this email from eBay member paulnphil:

Thank's to the forum we already know you are a scam, you c***:

red-hot.at/webalizer/fonts/monitor.eBay/cgi-eBay/scammer-FORUM/beware.buyer.html

GET A REAL JOB OR SOMETHING....

C word was censored by me, my old dear was mortified.

Now, being a dive bum im being used to being told to get a real job :) But my thinking is this may well be a phishing scam to get you to put in your ebay details at this other site (it looks exactly like eBay but isnt an ebay domain.

Unless it really is someone who knows i'm a diving slacker!

I will spend this afternoon doing some digging around on this, but i thought it might be worth posting before anyone puts their details inadvertently into this phishing site.

As the U/W photo scene is a small community i'm hoping someone might know the eBay member, as if its not a phishing site, and he did just call my mum a C then there will be big trouble!

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio in an photographer owned / operated resort

#2 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

It's likely that user is mass-mailing many auctions, and it almost certainly is a phishing site. I suggest reporting their username to eBay and forwarding the message they sent - should get them deactivated fairly quickly.
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#3 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, i reported it, but checking their feedback of 30, and all being good i cant help but think it's not been posted by the account holder.

I just wanted people to be aware of the scam, using the foul language must enrage people into clicking without thinking to check the URL in the header.

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio in an photographer owned / operated resort

#4 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:29 AM

The feedback doesn't matter, they can have those baited by their friends and the transaftion never actually takes place. Nonetheless, you and Matt are right, it's probably a scam. I get really nervous even using Ebay anymore because there is simply too much risk and too many C***'s out there.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#5 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

still using ebay...

Bought my 2 DS-50 strobes and my Sigma 16mm FE there this year.....

I recieve plenty of spam emails, some of which are paypal or ebay phishing mails. If you forward them to spoof AT ebay.com /nl of spoof AT paypal.com or whatever domain your account is on, you will get a reply back from ebay (mostly within a few hours)

gerard

And if anyone needs to be convinced that Scuba_SI is the real deal -> contact me (recently bought something from him) !!
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#6 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

HI,
Not all users on E-bay can be trusted & some users use more than one
account, so be warned some people are not all that they seem.
Andy :) :P

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

I thought he got you down to a tee... :)

Anyway get a job..you slacker... :P Bali was it...Lucky slacker then

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#8 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for the kind words Dean....

Just in singapore airport waiting for my connection... got 58kgs of luggage all the way to Bali without any extra charges! Woohoo!

I bet i get screwed on the way back now!

Sold the nexus housing and other bits on eBay whilst i was flying, no problems so far...

#9 smash

smash

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

Im selling my Nexus housing on eBay at the moment, courtesy of my mums eBay account as im leaving tomorrow and she's going to organise postage.

You can imagine my horror when my mum received this email from eBay member paulnphil:
C word was censored by me, my old dear was mortified.

Now, being a dive bum im being used to being told to get a real job :) But my thinking is this may well be a phishing scam to get you to put in your ebay details at this other site (it looks exactly like eBay but isnt an ebay domain.

Unless it really is someone who knows i'm a diving slacker!

I will spend this afternoon doing some digging around on this, but i thought it might be worth posting before anyone puts their details inadvertently into this phishing site.
As the U/W photo scene is a small community i'm hoping someone might know the eBay member, as if its not a phishing site, and he did just call my mum a C then there will be big trouble!

Your poor mom! I can only imagine the reaction my mom would have to receiving such a message. Actually, it would be something like, "What does 'c***' mean?" as English is not her first language!

Good catch on warning others not to react emotionally to the foul language.

Hope it's all been cleared up, and your mom no longer takes offense (except based on your dive slackerhood)! :)