3 replies to this topic

#1 Gwangi

Gwangi

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

HI all,

First time out using the S5 with a 10.5 mm lens, in a Ikelite D200 housing and 8" with a pair of Ikelite's DS 200. I know there is a lot of problem with is series of pictures. Please C & C.

Thank

KL Kwang

Iso 200, 1/160, f13
Tiger_s_Baracurras_4.jpg

#2 Gwangi

Gwangi

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

Another one to view...

again the set up is :- S5 with a 10.5 mm lens, in a Ikelite D200 housing and 8" with a pair of Ikelite's DS 200. Please C & C.

Thanks

Gwangi

iso 200, 1/200, f10
Tiger_s_Wall_11.jpg

#3 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

Hey Kwang, I merged your two topics. There is no need to have separate topics for each picture.

The sun-balls show the typical difficulties with sun balls. The sun is over exposed and the foreground is underexposed. Don't feel bad, it is very difficult to shoot the sun and not have the images not end up this way.

When shooting sun balls always use as fast of a shutter speed as you can. Sometimes you can slightly exceed the official max strobe sync speed without causing noticeable problems. This allows you to tone down the sun without putting as much of a drain on your strobes.

Not much else you can do once you've maxed the shutter speed is to decrease the ISO and increase the F-number to bring the sun the rest of the way down.

I usually have to use an exposure of ISO 100, 1/200th, and F/14-F/18 to tame the sun.

Your fist picture is a silhouette so it isn't a problem. But the next challenge is getting enough strobe light on the foreground. You have to use such small aperture that it is very difficult. Proper strobe placement is key. Often you have to give up coverage for intensity. Take the diffusers off and aim both strobes on the same spot.

It's better to have the main subject properly exposed and the rest of the foreground quite dark, than everything underexposed.

Cheers
Will
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#4 Gwangi

Gwangi

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:27 AM

Hi Will,

Thanks for the advices... Will try it out next week, when I'm out at Tioman...

Regards

KL Kwang