• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 philmayer

philmayer

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

I have an Ikelite housing and the 8" dome port. I use Nikon cameras and lenses -- D200, D100, 12-24, 18-70, 18-135, 60 macro and 105 macro.

What are the pros and cons to using the 60 macro lens behind the 8" dome port?
Nikon D200, Ikelite Housing, DS200, ULCS Arms, 12-24, 18-70, 60, 105VR

#2 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1494 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:14 PM

There is no sin in using the 60mm behind a dome port, you will have less magnification, but then again, you will get your official lens coverage back and less chromatic aberration. in really low viz a short macro lens is more apreciated. This combo would reduce the water collumn and improve both color saturation and sharpness but remember that the offset off having to shove a 8" dome right up in the face of your subject, the frontal signature of a macro port is significantly smaller and less intimidating.

Using your 60mm behind a flat port add's up +/- 25% of "magnification" (read field of view reduced by 25%)due to refraction. a real benefit when shooting in clear condition as it allows you to back up and give your subject more breathing room.
In general, when you move away from the arm chair rethorics, you soon realize that the macro port has a pile of benefit as opposed to whatever little gains one would get from shooting it from behind a dome.

Oh and yeah economic plays a role also when you start out, so yeah you can do both wide and macro with a dome port, but doing really wide angle shots with a flat port is definetly not the winning combination.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#3 AUTiger

AUTiger

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, photography, snow skiing, home theater equipment

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

You can also stick a macro port in places where you wouldn't want to put a dome. If you're trying to get as close as possible to a subject for maximum magnification, you are likely to scratch a dome. Domes can also be harder to work around to light your subject with a strobe.

David

There is no sin in using the 60mm behind a dome port, you will have less magnification, but then again, you will get your official lens coverage back and less chromatic aberration. in really low viz a short macro lens is more apreciated. This combo would reduce the water collumn and improve both color saturation and sharpness but remember that the offset off having to shove a 8" dome right up in the face of your subject, the frontal signature of a macro port is significantly smaller and less intimidating.
Using your 60mm behind a flat port add's up +/- 25% of "magnification" (read field of view reduced by 25%)due to refraction. a real benefit when shooting in clear condition as it allows you to back up and give your subject more breathing room.
In general, when you move away from the arm chair rethorics, you soon realize that the macro port has a pile of benefit as opposed to whatever little gains one would get from shooting it from behind a dome.

Oh and yeah economic plays a role also when you start out, so yeah you can do both wide and macro with a dome port, but doing really wide angle shots with a flat port is definetly not the winning combination.

#4 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:39 AM

Another problem with the dome port and especially with the 8" is that you'll have a real problem with lightening, the Nikon 60mm is focused real close, almost on the port with the big dome port you'll get refractions of the strobes if not the strobe's light itself in your frame.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#5 philmayer

philmayer

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

Thanks all, those are the sort of things I was wondering.

I already have a flat port for the 60 and 105, but need to get the flat port for the 105VR.

I wanted to understand mainly for transportation reasons. If I could get away with carrying fewer ports on the plane, it would make life easier.

Now that I've had the 8" dome in the water I can see some of the handling issues.
Nikon D200, Ikelite Housing, DS200, ULCS Arms, 12-24, 18-70, 60, 105VR