4 replies to this topic

#1 Mathewfarrell

Mathewfarrell

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:22 PM

Hey guys.

I've been shooting professionally above water for several years. I've finally got myself set up with a second hand Sea & Sea NX-80 housing, and am anxious to use it. I'm not sure if that means I've already jumped into the deep end - or that is to come.

Has anyone got any recommendations on using my housing for the first time? how much grease the O-rings need, how to carefully check for leaks before becoming committed, and so on.

For the record, I'll primarily be using this rig for surfing work - shallow water, mostly above water shots, high likely-hood of getting pounded by surf, unsure whether to cover my head or dome port.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:20 AM

Moved this to the film forum for better response.
Welcome to Wetpixel Matthew.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Mathewfarrell

Mathewfarrell

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:03 AM

Well, fortunately I haven't had to decide between the housing or my head yet. I've been treated pretty well with the surf.

My biggest grief with the entire enterprise is taking above water shots with water drops still on the port. I'm sure this is just part of the deal. I'll see if things improve when it's had a good polishing...

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:29 AM

Hi Mathew,

You're shooting in the surf? You didn't say that before, that changes everything!

The housing is not a surf housing - there are many design differences. Make sure to lock your port on, don't twist the knobs if there is sand in them or you can ruin the o-rings, etc.

RE the port - if you have a glass port you can use rain-x if not, then use dish soap rubbed on and polished before the dive.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 fisheyeview

fisheyeview

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Duuuuuuhhhhhhhh

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:52 AM

Hi Mathew,

Dish soap works, or Johnsons Baby Shampoo. As for o-ring grease just enough to keep the o-ring from drying out. The o-ring itself keeps the seal, not the grease. The more grease you use the more likely you are to attract sand. Especially shooting in the surf.

Welcome to the pool.