24 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:57 AM

Hi Gang,

Due to an unfortunate accident on my part, I flooded my camera and lens. I got a full replacement cost check from DAN's camera insurance carrier (they kicked butt!) last Friday.

I have decided to definitely wait and see what comes out at PMA, but now that the show is progressing, I'm more and more doubtful that we are going to see many new DSLR's besides the Canon and the Pentax. I have some nice Nikon lenses.

So, your thoughts? What is "the best" at any cost? What is "the best" for the $3,000 I got back? I'd just like to get some thoughts and opinions from you guys to help me out.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 09:05 AM

You already have a S2 Pro housing, right? Why not wait until the availability of the $1500 Canon 10D drives the S2 Pro price down?

I'm happy with my D60. I'd rather be shooting than waiting for the next best thing. :) The 10D supposedly uses the Elan 7/EOS-30 AF mechanism, which I've heard is a definitely improvement in good light, but not necessarily the magic fix in low light that we'd all been hoping for. And, with the body change, new housings will be necessary. Definitely not worth the "upgrade" for current 6MP shooters, in my opinion. But this means that other 6MP bodies will have to drop in price to compete. Whatever happens there will be a significant delay before any housings for new bodies make it to the market in any quantity.
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#3 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 03:52 PM

Aren't you going to tell us the story behind the flood?
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 04:36 PM

I flooded my housing through the dome port. I was only in 4' of water at the time - so pretty embarrassing.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#5 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 04:37 PM

If you were starting new, I'd say the 10D, as it looks like the best overall option at that price, but Eric's right, you've got an investment in both housing and glass. Stick with the S2 Pro.

OR, if you still have another digital and housing (can't remember if you got rid of whatever you had last), then wait a bit, maybe sell the S2 housing and see what happens.

I still think stick with the S2 though.

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 05:06 PM

I still have a Coolpix 990, the Nikon 24mm converter lens, and the Ikelite housing. It's a pretty sweet setup and I can "make do" with it for a while if I need to...:-)

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#7 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 05:21 PM

Then maybe it's time to dump the s2 and move on. you've certainly gotten a lot of use out of it, and it sounds like you're looking at this as an opportunity to try something new.

could always sell the Nikon glass and come to the dark side of Canon. The new 17-40L looks like it'd be pretty sweet sitting on a 10D... :)

#8 Marc Furth

Marc Furth

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Do it yourself afficionado

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:58 PM

James, I want you to look at this watch Iím swinging in front of your eyes, Itís going back and forth.

Repeat after me...Iím a Nikon man, Iíve always been a Nikon man, I always buy Nikon.

Repeat this 100 times, when you wake tomorrow morning youíll be clear on what to buy.

Donít let these Canon guys get to you !

Marc
Nikon D3, 16mm Nikkor,14-24 Nikkor,24-70 Nikkor, Sigma 15 mm New DIY housing,Nikon D2x, DIY housing, Ikelite Strobe 400's, twin iTTL housed Sb 800's, Sigma 14 mm, Tamron 90 mm, Nikkor 80-400 VR, Nikkor 18-200 VR, Tamron 180 mm macro, Epson Pro 4800 printer.

#9 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 12:33 AM

So sorry to hear about the flood.

Since the housing will still be fine (after a clean and check) why not get another S2 - possibly a second hand one. There seem to be quite a few about second hand considering it is still such a new camera.

I don't imagine that there aren't any other digital SLRs that will TTL with your strobes (which you did not flood). Do Canons TTL with the Ike DS125s?

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#10 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:03 AM

Has anyone heard about housing mfrs expressing interest in the 10D. The D60 housings were VERY slow to come to market - Sea and Sea and UK were the only ones that made it before the camera was discontinued. Hopefully they will learn their lessons and expedite the housings this time around.

Eric - Does your Sea and Sea have any of the issues of the D100 housing? I'm really amazed that such a faulty product hit the shelves - maybe waiting isn't sucha bad thing...

At the 1st rumor of a 14N or 1ds housing from anyone other than Seacam (too expensive) that'll be the way I go. Until then, I guess the D100/subal is where I'll be putting my $.
Sea & Sea strobes

#11 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:07 AM

OK I'm already re-thinking that... The Subal only has one main 0-ring, right? This forum started after a flood, so maybe I should go with the system I know best - LMI. The dual o-ring cam lock system is super secure - It'd be tough to have a major flood past 2 rings.
Sea & Sea strobes

#12 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:44 AM

James, was the flood a fault of the housing or operator error. If it was the housing, we would like to know why. Sorry to be nosy.

Think about how well the TTL works with your 125's.

#13 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 04:03 AM

"Repeat after me...Iím a Nikon man, Iíve always been a Nikon man, I always buy Nikon."

Mark,

Don't you own an S2pro, aren't your trying to upgrade to a 14n? Did you mean to say...I am a Nikon lens man?

James, don't let the force scare you, cross the bridge, walk into the light, the grass is greener

#14 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 06:23 AM

Hi guys,

Based on my experience I'm pretty sure the flood was caused by user error on my part. I haven't flooded anything yet, so I guess I was due.

When I took the port off (in a hurry) after I got out of the water, the o-ring looked ok, no nicks or sand. I had already made 3 dives the day before - one down to 90' and the housing did great. So it wasn't an integrity problem - it was user error.

I am very happy with the S2pro and it would be really easy for me to buy another one and I'd be all set again. I think I would go w/ a 15mm fisheye lens this time around though and wait for the Nikon 12-24DX lens.

But the prospect of getting a full frame camera is really tempting...

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#15 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:56 PM

I'm back from Sipidan and the offer to check out my rig still stands. I have a problem with one the controls that will require a return but it will not effect an evaluation. If you'd like to check it out let me know so I can be sure to keep it.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#16 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 11 March 2003 - 01:18 AM

Think Kodak 14N.

You have the lenses and ports already. Someone not a million miles away will make you a housing.

Don't forget you still have a "Proper Camera" - Use it!

#17 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 01:25 AM

Bob - After your experience with the 1Ds, how can you be so optimistic about the Kodak?
Sea & Sea strobes

#18 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 05:41 AM

James,

Judging from the fervor with which you espoused the wonders of S2 TTL, I find it hard to believe you would get a nasty D-TTL or E-TTL camera now . . . :P

Mike

PS Now you can move the check mark on your UW photography resume from "Will have a flood" to "Have had a flood" :P

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#19 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 05:53 AM

Mike,

I hearya buddy! There are two types of underwater photographers (actually 3):

Those that have had a flood

Those thath will have a flood

Those that lie about it

I'm now in the first category.

Just to be fair, I went by Houston Camera Exchange yesterday and tried out the Nikon D100. They were really cool there and let me shoot some test shots using the Nikkor 16mm fisheye too. It's a nice camera but it doesn't feel "right in my hand" like the S2 does. It's something about the grip I think...

I don't shoot TTL for my Wideangle shots anymore but I use it 90% of the time for macro. I would hate to have to go without it I think. If I did switch systems, I'd probably have to spend the money I saved on some of Ike's manual controllers....so not as much savings if you look at the whole picture.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#20 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 05:55 AM

Oh Bob,

I forgot to mention, I have been looking at the Kodak...and looking....and looking. I think that even if I were to preorder the camera today, the first I would get it would be June or July. Then to get it housed would probably be another 1 to 2 months. That would put me at the end of this year's dive season here in the States. Not a very good prospect.

Not to mention that even though a few people have held and shot the 14n, there are literally NO sample shots or reviews posted. It makes me very suspicious.

Unlike the S2 and the D100, I have yet to hear just about ANY glowing praise for the 14n...

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes