• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tkr

tkr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:12 AM

There must be a lot of knowledge on this question from wet pixel members but it's a little difficult to find a summary by searching.

If I get a Nikkor 105 VR with its 62mm filter thread what make and strength diopters are people using? The aim is to get more magnification than 1:1

I'm interested in something that you can actually go and buy rather than something that is no longer sold.

Thanks

#2 jarhed

jarhed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA/Underwater Photography<br />Travel

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

I went through the same process a vew months ago, From what I understand, the Nikon duel element diopters are the preferred ones, but are not being made anymore. The 5T and 6T are 62mm, but are very hard to find. Occasionally pop up on ebay, but selling for alot. I found a 4T on Amazon for about $30. The 3T and 4T hae 52mm threads, but still works fine when used with a step down ring.

attached is a chart with good info for some diopters including the Nikons and a sample pic I tok with the 105VR and the Nikon 4T.

As a word of caution, especially for a new guy like me, shooting like this is a lot of work. My DoF is very small and shooting in Monterey with some swell in a bulky drysuit takes a lot of patience. I love the results though. A very powerful focus light helps alot.

Take care,
John

Attached Images

• Diopter_info.JPG
  • DSC_0021.jpg

John B
Nikon D7000, Nauticam Housing
http://overundertravels.smugmug.com/

#3 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

I got the Nikon 5T and 6T a few months ago at KEH for $30 each... They work great on the 105.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

I agree with the others. I use a 5T and it is very good. I don't have a 6T - although I do use my Canon 500D on a step-down ring, stacked with the 5T. This gives very good image quality - although the Canon 500D is very expensive.

People here have shown that the smaller 3T and 4T work well on step-up rings, too. Not tried those myself.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6167 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:41 PM

yes, don't go for the cheaper brands as the corner sharpness is not good. The dual element ones are much better

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com