Do Nudis taste like chicken?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:30 AM

:)
While in PNG, I saw a drama taking place. I realized I was a lousy naturalist prospect, because I interfered. I saw a lovely Nudi crawling across a coral. While I watched, a polyp grabbed the nudi's tail and started swallowing. I thought I could just watch.....but I didn't. I deprived the polyp of a good meal and safely deposited the nudi (after a tug of war with the ployp) elsewhere. I am sorry, but I would do it again, I fear. I did, however, get some pics.

It is interesting that as the nudi thrashed around, surrounding polyps sucked in instead of competing for the meal. HMMMMM....polyp cooperation?

Attached Images

• nudi_lunch__1.jpg
  • Nudi_lunch__2.jpg

#2 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

First of all

I though you ment nudists :)

Secondly..Your forgiven...this time.. :)

Thirdly..Lovely piccies...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#3 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:02 PM

Allison,
You just let a pay day slip through your fingers. Remember - Sex, Hunting, Killing, Eating and Birthing are all behaviors that sell imagery. Portraits (unless its a new species) don't really do much except fill the screen.

Better luck next time.

Cheers,
Mark.
P.S I don't really agree with interrupting the course of nature, its a personal viewpoint thing. There's a reason for everything, such as a reason that nudi was about to get mashed!

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#4 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

I agree with Mark - one should really let nature take its course. Though I guess if one accepts that attitude one could argue that we humans are actually part of nature, and what we are doing to the planet is 'natural' - oops, long discussion there I fear.

I thought the topic was actually going to be about how to cook up and eat nudibranchs now we are getting rather short of many varieties of delicious endangered species...

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:53 PM

no more Bahamas shark feeding trips fellas...

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

Allison,
You just let a pay day slip through your fingers. Remember - Sex, Hunting, Killing, Eating and Birthing are all behaviors that sell imagery. Portraits (unless its a new species) don't really do much except fill the screen.

Better luck next time.

Cheers,
Mark.
P.S I don't really agree with interrupting the course of nature, its a personal viewpoint thing. There's a reason for everything, such as a reason that nudi was about to get mashed!

Gee, I think I'm missing your point. Do you really think these are just a portrait?

#7 fisheyeview

fisheyeview

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Duuuuuuhhhhhhhh

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

Save the nudi, save the world

#8 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:53 PM

I agree with Mark - one should really let nature take its course. Though I guess if one accepts that attitude one could argue that we humans are actually part of nature, and what we are doing to the planet is 'natural' - oops, long discussion there I fear.

NickJ - What we are doing to the planet would be natural if we used natural means to exploit our resources. Once we start putting all the technology to use it kinda knocks things out of whack prohibiting mother nature the opportunity to at least try and keep pace with rejuvenation and replenishment of stocks etc. Indeed a potential bag of worms.

AllisonFinch - Gee, I think I'm missing your point. Do you really think these are just a portrait?

Thats the way I see it, but what do I know? Let me guess. You took the Flabellina exoptata (?) away from a potentially life threatening situation, which would have also made a good true life sequence. You deposited your nudi onto a nicely positioned rock / coral where you could get some nice portraiture shots etc? Something like that.

Half the job with underwater video is to be able to try and catch the story as it naturally unfolds. If that means waiting for half an hour until the subject is in the right position, naturally and under its own steam, then so be it. But then again, thats just me.

Cheers,
Mark.

#9 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:24 AM

I'm being deliberately contentious of course, but there are a number of parallels in the natural world where animals use tools and 'technology' to harvest food (think otters, oysters and stones; birds, twigs and ants; monkeys, other monkeys and tapir thigh bones - oops or was that "2001 a Space Odyssey" :) ?). It is only a leap of faith (and a few hundred thousand years of evolution for Homo Sapiens - not millions) to move from stones to whale factories, twigs to long lines etc. I know it's a long shot but unless you believe in divine intervention or alien seeding we created our technology from humble natural beginnings.

As far as the Nudi portrait is concerned this is a tough choice for some, not for others. We didn't see the Blue Planet or Planet Earth teams trying to protect those adorable sea lions from those nasty big sharksies ... I tend to side with Mark on this, but understand the dilemma! :)

Nice shots BTW

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#10 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:42 AM

I think this topic has now linked with the topic about the Crown of Thorns topic

http://wetpixel.com/...mp;#entry129632

Surely injecting these with sulfate or otherwise killing them is human intervention....
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#11 tjgreen

tjgreen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:30 AM

While in PNG, I saw a drama taking place. I realized I was a lousy naturalist prospect, because I interfered. I saw a lovely Nudi crawling across a coral. While I watched, a polyp grabbed the nudi's tail and started swallowing. I thought I could just watch.....but I didn't. I deprived the polyp of a good meal and safely deposited the nudi (after a tug of war with the ployp) elsewhere. I am sorry, but I would do it again, I fear. I did, however, get some pics.
It is interesting that as the nudi thrashed around, surrounding polyps sucked in instead of competing for the meal. HMMMMM....polyp cooperation?

Neat pics. I wish you'd just taken pics up to the coup de grace, but only because it would be cool to see :). Next dive, save a bit of sandwich and feed a polyp, you'll balance it out :). Interesting on the polyp behavior. My observation from feeding my reef tank is just the opposite; one gets a morsel and the rest stand tall and fully extended. Never seen them fight over something though (never tried feeding them live nudibranchs either...hmmm)
Tim
tjgreen.smugmug.com/underwater

#12 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:52 AM

NickJ - What we are doing to the planet would be natural if we used natural means to exploit our resources. Once we start putting all the technology to use it kinda knocks things out of whack prohibiting mother nature the opportunity to at least try and keep pace with rejuvenation and replenishment of stocks etc. Indeed a potential bag of worms.

Thats the way I see it, but what do I know? Let me guess. You took the Flabellina exoptata (?) away from a potentially life threatening situation, which would have also made a good true life sequence. You deposited your nudi onto a nicely positioned rock / coral where you could get some nice portraiture shots etc? Something like that.

Half the job with underwater video is to be able to try and catch the story as it naturally unfolds. If that means waiting for half an hour until the subject is in the right position, naturally and under its own steam, then so be it. But then again, thats just me.

Cheers,
Mark.

No, I think you have missed the point. First of all, lighten up! Secondly, do you see any "I'm saved" portraits? I posted these images because I thought it was interesting to see a polyp making such an attack. I apologized for my eventual interference, but it wasn't as earth shattering as you are making it seem. I suppose if your buddy were being eaten by a shark, you would just continue shooting video since it is the "natural" thing to do.

Again, just be interested (or not) in a moment frozen in time.

#13 tjgreen

tjgreen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:05 PM

No, I think you have missed the point. First of all, lighten up! Secondly, do you see any "I'm saved" portraits? I posted these images because I thought it was interesting to see a polyp making such an attack. I apologized for my eventual interference, but it wasn't as earth shattering as you are making it seem. I suppose if your buddy were being eaten by a shark, you would just continue shooting video since it is the "natural" thing to do.

Again, just be interested (or not) in a moment frozen in time.

Too bad, I'd be interested in the "I'm saved" portraits - watch it kiss the rock you put it on, hug its nudi family, point up at God (in this case, you).
Tim
tjgreen.smugmug.com/underwater

#14 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

Allison don't take offense. I don't think anyone is being uptight - this is a really interesting topic that your pictures and comments sparked. Maybe not your intention, but that's the fun thing about posting on public forums - you never know quite how your input will stimulate your virtual colleagues to comment ....

#15 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

Allison don't take offense. I don't think anyone is being uptight - this is a really interesting topic that your pictures and comments sparked. Maybe not your intention, but that's the fun thing about posting on public forums - you never know quite how your input will stimulate your virtual colleagues to comment ....

Hahaha, thanks NickJ, gotta love the public forum. After all it is a public place where not everyone shares the same sentiment. Time for me to go get some lightening up lessons.

AllisonFinch - as far as I know there is yet to exist a good shark attack filmed in HDV. So to answer your question yes I would film it. Absofrigginlutely, show me a dedicated video operator who wouldn't. The cash would help pay the hospital bills of my unfortunate buddy and go toward new gear. I don't think a flimsy dive knife is gonna do anything against a determined shark hell bent on taking a lump out of someone so you may as well film it. I actually almost had that opportunity in Yap on one occasion when a guy doing the bottle thing had his mask ripped off by a Silvertip, it was over so darn quick the middle finger response to the "Do Over" signal made me flood my mask laughing.......guess that counts you out as a potential future dive buddy then!! :lol:

On another note Allison, it was not my intention to rattle your cage. If I did so please accept my apologies. I'm going to go back into my dark corner and be quiet. BUT, please understand, as NickJ said, you post in a public forum, expect to get public response which will not always be to your liking. Learn to take that in your stride!

Cerianthus - I think the human intervention regarding the Crown of Thorns was initiated with human harvesting of Tritons Horns therefore creating an un-natural population explosion of the Crowns. The culling of the Seastars was started once mankind realised "Oh crap, what have we done", IMHO an all too often realization made by our 'superior' species.

Cheers,
Mark.

#16 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

Re sharks - shawnh and I had a gentleman's agreement that if either one of us were attacked this past January ( http://www.fluent-co...t/Movies 4.html ) that we would continue pressing [record] and any royalties/fees from the subsequent video would got to rehabilitation costs, or our widows if that was the unfortunate outcome. In a controlled situation like ours in the Bahamas the risk of any attack is very small, but it was actually a topic we discussed. In fact either one of us would have been horrified if in the heat of the situation the video actually stopped rolling!

#17 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

Re sharks - shawnh and I had a gentleman's agreement that if either one of us were attacked this past January ( http://www.fluent-co...t/Movies 4.html ) that we would continue pressing [record] and any royalties/fees from the subsequent video would got to rehabilitation costs, or our widows if that was the unfortunate outcome. In a controlled situation like ours in the Bahamas the risk of any attack is very small, but it was actually a topic we discussed. In fact either one of us would have been horrified if in the heat of the situation the video actually stopped rolling!

NickJ - I'd be right there with you mate. My missus (surprising someone likes me eh) knows all too well that she plays second fiddle to the Ocean. She gave up on me a long time ago and just goes along with my passion, ohh er, that came out a bit misleading..... :lol:

I've had that same agreement with most of the people I dive with in shark scenario shoots, baited or not. Been in with Tigers as they ate a Manta in Yap, a Whale in Palau and Whites in South Africa. If I'm the one getting chomped the only thing I would personally care about is whether or not someone is getting it on film. The big sharks normally spit people out anyway, except Tigers though........different thread completely.

Cheers,
Mark.

#18 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:47 PM

We have nudi BBQ's all the time :lol:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#19 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, I heard you Ozzies have still to realize that covering up will stop you from getting skin cancer.......Dohhhhh, Nudibranchs right, gotcha. I was having visions of you in your birthday suit roasting your sausage on the charcoal.......eek!!

Cheers,
Mark.