• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wade

wade

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 08:23 AM

Anyone like to share some thoughts on where the best dive locations in Belizian waters are? We're likely going to hit the Blue Hole and Lighthouse reef, and then some diving in/around Ambergris Caye as well. Anyone have specific places I should see? I'm taking my new Ikelite/coolpix setup as well so photo ops are always a bonus...

Wade

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 08:26 AM

Some dive ops are going to Turneffe from Ambergris now - and it's excellent. The deep reef/dropoff at the Turneffe elbow was excellent.

I dove w/ Amigos Del Mar www.amigosdive.com

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 11:12 AM

Try to do Lighthouse Reef Atoll as much as possible (long boat ride). It's in another league from the rest with exception of a couple dives at Turneffe. Blue Hole was a "been there, done that" dive for me but others disagree.

I stayed at Lighthouse Reef Resort a couple years ago and it was also excellent. Live-aboards are the best but at least at the resort, you are a short boat ride from the best.

#4 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 12:49 PM

When you going Wade?

Im heading out in mid June for a trip on the Belize Aggressor.

#5 mellingson

mellingson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 04:22 PM

Have a few questions. Thinking about the Aggressor III as well, not sure when May or June. I will be taking my 1550 Pelican for cam gear as well as a soft dive gear bag (designed for 2 sets). I heard that it is better to take soft luggage. Is there anything I'm missing for this liveaboard? Oh yeh, my wife.. Seriously though, how can I gfet the best out of this liveaboard and has anyone here taken this trip?

#6 Dave

Dave

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 04:51 PM

We stayed at Turneffe Island Lodge in '99. It is only a few hundred yards from "The Elbow" which is one of the best dive locations in Belize. Very happy with the Resort. Excellent Diving even though a big hirricane had been by in previous weeks. Was my first digital photography experience. Excellent Food (They publish a recipe book), and as a vegetarian I still had plenty to eat. Downside the week we were there was the wind blowing constantly and the sponges were spawning which made for some interesting pictures but reduced vis. (probably 70 ft max at the time).

Dave
David Breitigam

#7 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 07:58 AM

I was on the BA III last December. I carried a Pelican 1610 for my camera gear and there was plenty of room in the shelves under the camera table for hard cases. There was also space under the bed for other bags. We were first to book the trip and had the honeymoon suite on the upper deck (no extra charge). I think they also have other cubby holes for storing luggage if needed.

Good choice.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 wade

wade

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 06:12 PM

[QUOTE]When you going Wade?[QUOTE]

We are headed down the first week of May. Doing a few days in the jungle (going to try out the new cam/housing in the freshwater first!) and then headed to the reef. We are scheduled for a 3 dive day at blue hole/lighthouse/half moon and a day of (probably) Elbow reef at this point. We have another day, but will likely stay local to ambergris caye and hit some of the local stuff, like the shark ray alley.

Should be a kickin trip!

Wade