10 replies to this topic

#1 antacid

antacid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:37 AM

Hi everyone,

I witnessed this event and got it on video by accident.

My gf and I were lagging behind the dive group, and we were just slowly following a turtle. From nowhere, a tiny clownfish comes up and starts attacking the turtle. The amazing thing is, the clownfish goes straight for the eyes!

The turtle beats it off a little, and is thoroughly agitated. It finds the anemone of the clownfish, and proceeds to rip it apart. PWNED!

Moral of the story: Don't pick on someone larger than you. You'll get your home ripped apart.

Here's the video!

[vid]puPcWIKBWeU[/vid]

You can see some of my trip photos here: www.colouredshots.com/site/Dive.htm

Enjoy!
((=
www.colouredshots.com
Kodak disposable film camera

"I use lousy equipment. I charge very high rates."

#2 expatdiver

expatdiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Golf, Darts, Brewing

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:18 AM

Great capture!!! It's about time someone or thing got back at those little punks.
Nikon D70s w/Ikelite Housing, Dual DS-125 Strobes, 10.5 & 105
expatdiver's Photo Galleries

#3 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:29 AM

Wow, I don't think anems are typically on a turtles menu.

#4 RickM

RickM

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:21 PM

Never seen a turtle behave like that! Appears he said enough is enough..... :)

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:14 AM

Turtle Road Rage; good thing he did not have a gun! :)
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:16 AM

Perhaps you have it backward? A little research does show that anemones are on the list of "turtle food" and maybe the clownfish was trying to defend his home. Having said that, they can be pretty annoying little buggers.

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#7 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

Yep, I suspect the clown knew what was coming and did his best to avert it. Wonder if the anemone survived the meal. Looks like there were a couple of big bites. Clowns may have had to pack up and move.

#8 Taxgeek

Taxgeek

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography!

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:44 AM

Seems like Nemo's behavior was counter productive - even if Mr. Turtle didn't notice the anemone before, when Nemo got in his face, he surely knew there had to be a yummy anemone around somewhere.
Canon 5d, Ikelite housing, ULCS arms, and dual DS-125 strobes.

#9 antacid

antacid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

Seems like Nemo's behavior was counter productive - even if Mr. Turtle didn't notice the anemone before, when Nemo got in his face, he surely knew there had to be a yummy anemone around somewhere.

from what i saw, i think Nemo called it upon itself. If you look carefully, the turtle was just swimming along, and already passed the anemone without noticing it.

it was after being attacked by the clownfish that it noticed the anemone on the ledge, and made a quick turn towards it before ripping it to shreds.

after i stopped the video, the turtle went back for more, and there wasn't much of an anemone left...yup, i think Mr and Mrs Nemo are in the market for a cheap, 2nd hand property :lol:
www.colouredshots.com
Kodak disposable film camera

"I use lousy equipment. I charge very high rates."

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:37 AM

Great behaviour clip, a shame about the vignetting and soft focus tho', it looks like you weren't using your UR filter or lights.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#11 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

Maybe Nemo got his capabilities mixed up with his ambitions and thought he could take on the Turtle.
Great footage though, right place at the right time. :rolleyes:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au