• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lexster

lexster

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:45 AM

Hi there, I'm new here. Was hoping someone could help me out.

I just returned from diving in the Red Sea where I used for the first time a Fuji F30 digicam white balancing on a dive slate.

Whilst the results I got most of the time were great, I found annoyingly that sometimes the camera wouldn't pick up a reading off the slate sometimes and would display the message "UNDER!". Very irritating when I was trying to WB for each shot

Weirdly, when it would fail to make a reading didn't seem to be affected by available light ie. I could be diving at 10m in bright sunshine and sometimes it wouldn't read and sometimes at 25m in lower light conditions it would. Any ideas?

I should add that I was using the camera and the housing only, no filters or strobes or WA lens attached.

Many thanks

#2 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

No idea. I'll play with my F31 when I get home.

Can you post some photos?
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#3 lexster

lexster

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

No idea. I'll play with my F31 when I get home.

Can you post some photos?

Fixed the problem. The manual tells you to up the manual EV if the reading is "under". Hope this actually works.

I'll post some photos when I find the USB cable (it's hiding!)

#4 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

Fixed the problem. The manual tells you to up the manual EV if the reading is "under". Hope this actually works.

I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Circuit City has an xD card adapter for $10 that works well.
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#5 alo100

alo100

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:16 PM

Did you try it (changing EV)?

The "under" happened during WB I think is because there is not enough reflected light from the white/gray card or whatever you used (it happens even if you are in shallow water). e.g. if the card is v. very close to the lens. I tried to move the card a bit further away from the camera then it worked (if the card is small and cannot cover enough, you can zoom in a bit). If I continued to move the board even further, it said "over".

Edited by alo100, 12 June 2007 - 02:36 PM.