Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:04 PM

JAPAN'S WHALING LOSES SUPPORT FROM COMMERCIAL FISHERIES COMPANIES
whalecans.jpg
Photo credit Claire Bass/EIA

Japanā€™s fourth largest fisheries company, Kyokuyo, has pledged to stop its sale of whale meat in Japan. Its decision follows a campaign led by the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA), Humane Society International (HSI) and the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW). Kyokuyo is thought to have sold at least 10 million cans of whale meat each year in Japan, plus frozen whale products.

Maruha, Japanā€™s largest seafood company and one of the former owners of Japanā€™s whaling fleet also confirmed this week it is ending its production and sale of whale products throughout Japan following an EIA campaign in 2006....
http://www.eia-inter.../...394&source=

Though it obvious now that Japanese whaling in now fueled almost entirely by the Government of Japan's stubborn adherance to nationalist motives and anti-western sentiment, the voice of Japanese industry may still may have some impact on the future of whaling by Japan.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

This is great news. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the whaling industry in Japan.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

Power to the people. :)

When the large companies are not selling the meat and the Whaling is costing the government way to much money, bad press, damage & headaces, it will stop. :)

I think shit will hit the fan if they take out some Humpbacks this time around, it will cause way to much damage for them compared to the gain they make in abit of Whale meat. Just a few silly old men stuck in their ways. :lol:

If labour gets in over here, they have said they will send down the navy to keep and eye on them and arrest them if they come into AUS waters.

What will Japan do, go to war with us...nope! They will not stop selling us cars and stuff as they need our Gas and Iron Ore too much :D
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

Wags, what are the actaul chances of labor winning? In the US, only democrats or republicans ever have a real shot at the title.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#5 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

There have a very good chance as climate change is on every ones mind and the mob in here now just keep saying the economy and jobs are more important, want to build Nuclear power stations and want to inject the Carbon Dioxide from Coal in the ground as the fix?
The later will take 20 years to make happen as well.

Invest in other techs is the way to go and I thnk Labour will ride this and get in. Plus save the Whales :lol:
People are getting fed up with greedy governements and big greedy corporations like the oil mob. They want to help the planet.

It was not long ago that our PM was saying global warming was nonsense, but he has changed his thoughts abit now :) People Power. he is history.....
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#6 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:39 PM

Great news Shawn!

And I agree with wags - I reckon Labor might actually make it this time around.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#7 writepic

writepic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:diving, taking photos and making films, my family, my friends, chocolate icecream.......

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:18 AM

this is superb news re these companies. if only we could get the same public interest in
problems in the shark fin world, we could see similar gains in a few years, which might silence
those who say that long term damage to our shark populations is inevitable, and that we should
get out and photograph them while we can... :rolleyes:
[font=Lucida Console]http://eyemocean.blogspot.com

#8 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:42 AM

I would love the same. Sharks are my thing. Sadly no matter how hard we try, sharks just don't garner the same concern. I am still searching for the formula that will swing the Asian demand but have not found one i think is viable yet. For the moment, I will celebrate some progress for our whale friends :rolleyes:
www.bluespheremedia.com

#9 writepic

writepic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:diving, taking photos and making films, my family, my friends, chocolate icecream.......

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:54 AM

there is a school of thought that the public don't have the same feelings for sharks because they don't see the footage. when the whaling debate was hot on the news, there was regular media footage of whales being hauled out and so on, and as such opinion changed on a large scale. such footage is thought to be
less obtainable from shark fishing practices because it is (wrongly in some cases) believe that
sharking operations are run by gun toting pirates, whereas in many cases, the problem is in
subsistence fishermen, who are approachable, and such footage can be obtained. i think what we
need to do is to get as much of this footage out there as quickly as possible.

m
[font=Lucida Console]http://eyemocean.blogspot.com

#10 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:27 AM

It honestly makes all the expense and time worth it when actual FOOTAGE changes peoples perseptions of our ever changing (mostly for the wrong reasons) world..Its O.K hearing about these ghastly practises but when your confronted visually with the traumatic truth thats going on then you do want things to change..

A large pat on the back and a cold beer to all the fighters for the truth out there..

This sort of news makes my day, year, life... :rolleyes: :angry:

Keep it up

Divesafe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk